You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Edea Overture  (Read 2526 times)

Offline LauraM

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Edea Overture
« on: February 21, 2019, 10:40:02 AM »
Hi
I am an adult who likes figure skating. I can do spins but no jumps (and don’t think will ever do them).
I think that will probably be my level for the future,maybe just learning new spins.
I have a pair of Jackson Competitor but I need to buy a new pair of skates and I was always interested in Edea.
The Edea Overture are probably in my price range but I would like to know if they are ok for what I’m interested and what I can do -that is mainly spins.
The suppliers sell them with either Ultima MK IV, Ultima Mirage or Edea Charme or Edea Rotation. Which one of these would you recommend for me?

Thank you  :)

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Re: Edea Overture
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 02:32:06 PM »
The brand you choose has more to do with your foot shape than what you're actually doing on the ice.  Some freestyle skaters (in particular Jason Brown) prefer low cut (also known as Dance) boots.  Others prefer those that are higher. 

Have you tried Edeas?  Do they fit you, and is there someone locally who can shape them to your feet?  If so, then discuss with your coach and fitter the model you need.  But if the Jackson's fit you and your feet are generally happy, there's no reason to change.  You should explore, for sure, but don't discount the tried and true (if they are indeed).

In terms of blades, again, it depends on what works best for you.  You're coach and fitter are the best resources.  I think most would say to go with a Coronation Ace/MK Professional or the equivalent (entry-level competitive) in Riedell or Ultima.  I'm a strong spinner, too and was always quite happy with the Pro or Ace.  I'm on Ace's now, after having tried Vision and the Ultima equivalent of the Gold seal.  Those are all good blades, and I liked them, but the sharpening (for the gold seals) and the overall cost, just didn't justify the difference, that I at least don't have the skills to notice, anyway.  For a variety of reasons, Ace's are currently the best choice for me.  Lucky they're on the cheaper end of the scale!

Good luck!!

Offline mjebos86

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 5
Re: Edea Overture
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 11:05:57 AM »
Definitely try the Edeas before committing. A lot of folks who are used to the fit and support level of more traditional boots like Jackson and Riedell are a little thrown by the Edea fit. They’re a bit looser around the ankle and they tend to have a higher heel. Many people adjust just fine - so this isn’t to say you can’t switch successfully from Jacksons to Edeas - but just something to consider, and another great reason to work with a reputable fitter.

For what it’s worth - I got a pair of Jackson Debuts a few months ago and I love them!!