You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Riedell Gold Stars NLA?  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Riedell Gold Stars NLA?
« on: January 20, 2019, 05:50:24 PM »
In need of some new skates, I went poking around the Riedell web site to take a look at the offerings. I can't find any page relating to my beloved Gold Star boots. I see Silver Stars, then a jump up to lightweight Arias.

I LOVE the Gold Star boots that I've owned over the years, and the word "lightweight" for the Arias may include some compromises in durability.

Tell me it isn't true that the Gold Stars are no longer available! Anybody know anything about apparent lack of availability?

Bill Schneider

Online tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: Riedell Gold Stars NLA?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 08:33:00 PM »
Here's the news from Kinzies (https://www.shop.kinziescloset.com/Riedell-1375-Gold-Star-Mens-Figure-Skating-Boots-Riedell1375Mens.htm):

"The Riedell 1375 Gold Star Mens Figure Skating Boots have a reinforced tongue design and cork/leather heels. Impact absorbing soles along with double reinforced Trifusion uppers for enhanced support. Internal forefoot flex with EVA foam padding and half-inch foam tongue pad enhances comfort and fit. Full grain leather lining provides natural comfort.

Riedell has discontinued this model as a stock model. Riedell will still make this model for you, but it is now considered a special order. It will take 4-6 weeks to make and there is a $80 upcharge to make it. We have made this boot available for you to order, but understand that it will not be a quick shipment."

ETA-1:  So the price at Kinzies is now $649 + $80 upcharge.  It's so long ago since I bought a Gold Star, but I think it was about $80 in the early '70s (though it was a lot different boot then).

ETA-2:  Scour the online sites.  There is limited old stock without the upcharge.  You might luck out and find your size (though men's figure skate boots are scarcer than ladies).

Offline ib_jigged

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 07:06:23 AM »
A few weeks back, I was checking into upgrading our daughter to Gold Stars from Bronze Stars per her coaches advice.  I too had noticed that on the Riedell site the Gold Stars were no longer there.  I contacted Riedell and their customer service replied with the same response as posted above that they are now available for special order only.  They also provided that there are 2 new models coming out very soon with one to replace the Gold Star.  Could it be something with a synthetic sole similar to what Jackson has or the Edea's?  Not sure, but we will wait to see what transpires.  Our fitter highly recommends the Aria as well, the main difference in the Aria, is that it is all leather (kangaroo I believe) on the inside vs. the normal padding of the Gold Star.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 08:03:46 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Because my feet are now two different shapes after my foot operation, I'd prefer to see a good fitter. It's also been 12 years since I bought my current pair, so it's possible that the sizes have changed a bit.

I have been impressed with how my Gold Stars have held up over the years, especially compared the short life of Bronze Stars that I had two pairs ago. I'll also compare the cost of the Aria boots to the up-charge for Gold Stars before deciding. The Arias sound like a good boot if the cost isn't too much more.

I do know that the fitter at OSU (now retired) gave decent discounts from retail prices when boots were purchased with blades. I hope that's still the case, and that the new fitter is as good as the previous one.

It's really too bad that the Gold Stars took the hit because of the lightweight competition.
Bill Schneider

Online tstop4me

• Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 01:46:22 PM »
Bill, you might want to take this opportunity to consider other brands as well.  A lot of new product has been introduced over the last 12 yrs.  And the current Gold Stars might be different from what you're used to anyway.  I was in your situation back in 2014.  I had worn Riedell Royals for many years, and they were no longer available.  My coach recommended I look at Jacksons, and I'm glad I did.  Perhaps Riedells are still the best option for you; but perhaps another brand might be better now.  Given the $$$ involved, it's worth checking out.

One pro shop had the current (as of 2014) Gold Stars.  I told the tech it was way different from the Gold Stars I had worn in the '70s.  He smiled, ducked into a back room, and brought out a '70s vintage Gold Stars, new old stock.  Quite a difference.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 06:08:08 PM »
I know firsthand how the same skate can change over time. The top two skates shown here are Gold Stars, and they are very different. The one labeled "2007" is my current skate.

I keep thinking about Jackson, but I believe I'd have to go to Cleveland to get those fitted. I don't believe that the OSU shop carries them, but a lot has changed since 2007.

Great advice though.
Bill Schneider

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 02:44:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Because my feet are now two different shapes after my foot operation, I'd prefer to see a good fitter.

Mine are two different sizes too, this puts us in "special order" land even when we're buying something off the shelf.  I went with Jacksons this go around, and don't regret it.  Don't write off your Gold-Stars though!  You may actually like the changes.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 05:48:06 PM »
My daughter has custom Riedell boots, with the strength of the silver stars but some of the comfort features of gold stars including the leather sole and anti-shock layer (she says it makes a big difference in reducing vibrations for the ice) and the extra soft leather lining that was part of the last gold star boot model. Then we added a few other features she appreciates, like a rolled and padded collar, lambs wool tongues and extra heel hugger padding. She loves her boots and we have become pretty big Riedell fans. To ensure a good fit (she had all sorts of issues in the past) we went directly to the factory in Red Wing, MN for the fittings. Stayed at a really cute bed and breakfast too. As a plus, once you go custom, any and all options are included in the flat rate fee.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 11:09:08 AM »
That sounds like the ultimate solution. I don't know about traveling that far for skates for me, but it's good to know that it's possible.
Bill Schneider

Offline ib_jigged

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 07:18:44 PM »
Riedell site says new boots coming spring 2019.  Evolution

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 07:36:03 PM »
That sounds like the ultimate solution. I don't know about traveling that far for skates for me, but it's good to know that it's possible.

It was a bit of a hike for us too, but still drivable. Best decision we have made in terms of skates. We have been through countless boots, customs included, and Riedell got it right. I don't know that we would have had the same luck if they hadn't gotten a first hand look at my kiddo's wonky foot shape. She LOVES her boots and now they have a custom pattern for her so when we need to reorder it will be easy and by phone.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 11:30:29 PM »
To ensure a good fit (she had all sorts of issues in the past) we went directly to the factory in Red Wing, MN for the fittings. Stayed at a really cute bed and breakfast too.

It's only a little over 1000 miles for you, each way, right? How much do you drive, to your favorite ice rink? 20 miles, 50 miles? So, about 20 or 50 skating rink visits, to get a perfect fit? Virginia traffic is pretty slow, so timeways, not so many trips. Maybe it isn't as bad as you think. (OTOH, maybe your rink is closer than that, or you found places to live and play with little traffic.)

In retrospect, when I was fit for my Klingbeils (no longer available, neither the brand, nor the "fitter" I used), if I had driven to NYC and back to that factory store (admittedly, a little closer), I would have saved myself a lot of pain and trouble.

Then again, it is far enough that you have to count the cost of the bed & breakfast or equivalent. (I would cheap out and camp. And/or take advantage of the outdoors.)

Anyway, I still don't get why you don't try using your Synchro boots and blades instead.

If you really love Gold Star boots, why not check every pro shop you can find with your size, and go where they have it, or get them mail order? Assuming you don't need a custom fit.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 08:11:05 AM »
It's 800 miles to Red Wing, MN from here, or a 12 hour drive each way. I first plan to see a Riedell fitter about 75 miles away to see what they say.

Even though my feet are visibly different sizes now, I didn't have much trouble with my current boots after my foot operation, aside from having to wait almost a year. Even before that, the boots were 1/2 size too big (my fault, not the fitter's.) I must be boot size insensitive.

Thinking about it, I might even drop down to a Silver Star because I like having fore-aft flexibility for extra knee bend. I don't jump much anymore. I focus more on edges and turns, so I don't need absolute stiffness in a boot. I'll see what the fitter says.

BTW, I don't own synchro boots, just the blades.

Bill Schneider