You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: 7' ROCKER VS 8' ROCKER (on the new MK Galaxy Blade)  (Read 8264 times)

Offline sk8pink

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
  • Figure Skating
7' ROCKER VS 8' ROCKER (on the new MK Galaxy Blade)
« on: September 06, 2016, 03:09:15 PM »
Hi everyone  :)
I'm not sure where to ask about this so I started this topic.
I am a new adult Ice skater planning to get my first pair of skates  :BS:  this fall and sign up for adult figure skating classes. I am thrilled and enthusiastic about making progress and competing one day whether it's adult free skating or ice dancing.
You see I have roller skated my whole life for fun, it's my favorite sport and have honed some edges and enjoy doing stuff like deep edges, spiral sequences, footwork an jumping around the rink. I'm really good I just never got a coach to learn to jump and spin. I am finally making my transition to the Ice and have done a lot of research about the skates that are more suitable to start with and came to the conclusion that I am going for the Edea Overtures but can't decide on the blade between 1. John Wilsons Coronation Ace, 2. Mk Professional, or the new 8' rocker 3. Mk Galaxy ???
I have skated on the Ice a few times and I'm not entirely acclimated or knowledgeable on the rocker?
how does a 7' differ from an 8' rocker and how does it affect skating what are it's purposes and pros and cons? who or what types of skills benefit from what type of rocker and why? what is what and what for? please. By looking and from experience, mind you I don't know anything, it's seems that the 8' rocker is perhaps harder (but how) and provides more flexibility and ability to help skater with harder skills and tricks, where the 7' perhaps looks more steady and safe on the ice. What makes the bigger rocker harder and how can it hinder a beginner skaters progress?
It seems like the Mk galaxy could be comparable to the John Wilson's Gold Seal? I'm so confused haha and undecided please help
Thank you

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
Re: 7' ROCKER VS 8' ROCKER (on the new MK Galaxy Blade)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 04:35:38 PM »
The rocker isn't everything.   e.g. That doesn't tell you the what/where the spin rocker ("sweet spot") is,  which is probably more important, given it's use in turns and spins (duh).    If you're coming from roller skates, any ice skates are going to feel unbelievably directionally unstable,  whatever blades you have.   Since you can cheat checking on wheels, simply by putting all four wheels down and engaging your core.

Once upon a time Wilson sold a beginners blade called the Mercurio.  It had a 6' rocker.   So that concur with your assesment.    I use a pair but they've been ground down over the years to about 9.5'.   I don't have a problem with them.   I suspect backward threes might be easier to learn with a more curved rocker,  but I've gotten by (heck, if you can 3-turn on roller skates, any blades on ice will be a doddle).

But really, you can get used to just about anything.   And realistically,  you'll most likely throw away your first set of skates within a year anyway,  for whatever reason.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 05:11:07 PM »
It seems like the Mk galaxy could be comparable to the John Wilson's Gold Seal? I'm so confused haha and undecided please help

I checked the MK website.  The Galaxy is listed as a beginner's blade.  The Pro and Coronation Ace are intermediate blades.  And the Gold Seal is a top-of-the-line advanced blade.  So, other than having an 8 ft rocker, no way is the Galaxy comparable to the Gold Seal.  As you progress up the hierarchy of blades, you typically get a better grade of steel that requires less frequent sharpenings (which costs can add up over time).  I've only skated on 7 ft rockers, so I can't give you a comparison with 8 ft rockers.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 06:22:44 PM »
I checked the MK website.  The Galaxy is listed as a beginner's blade.  The Pro and Coronation Ace are intermediate blades.  And the Gold Seal is a top-of-the-line advanced blade.  So, other than having an 8 ft rocker, no way is the Galaxy comparable to the Gold Seal.  As you progress up the hierarchy of blades, you typically get a better grade of steel that requires less frequent sharpenings (which costs can add up over time).  I've only skated on 7 ft rockers, so I can't give you a comparison with 8 ft rockers.

Toepicks are different too. The more advanced blades can have more than one style of pic available.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 10:21:50 PM »
Since you were born on roller skates, you don't want beginner blades or boots. Something intermediate like Coronation Ace would be more commonly used. Depending on what your preferred shop offers, you might save money by also looking at intermediate blades from Jackson Ultima or Riedell.

Ask good skaters at your rink where they shop, and which skate technician they use, and use them, because, as with roller, there is a huge difference between great skate technicians, and the incompetents who work at most pro shops. A good skate technician will give you good advice on what to buy.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 10:06:17 AM »
Rocker is a real personal preference thing.  Taking your first lessons, etc., I wouldn't worry about it too much unless for whatever reason the one you're on makes you really uncomfortable.  At the beginning levels, you'll adjust.  You say you've been skating a few times and if this isn't something you were concerned about previously, no need to fret about it now.

Personally, I find I like the 7 better.  I spin better and even my skating skills and dance are better as I find that I turn easier (most prefer the 8 for things like skills and dance, right?).  The only thing that was easier on the 8 was my toe jumps.  But like I said, it's mostly personal preference.  I know people who say the exact opposite.

Good luck with your lessons and new skates!

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 05:28:05 PM »
Toepicks are different too. The more advanced blades can have more than one style of pic available.

Just to clarify:  I didn't mean to imply that the grade of steel is the only difference as one progresses up the hierarchy of blades.  There are many differences, including, but not limited to, main rocker, spin rocker, toepick design, edge configuration (e.g., parallel edges vs parabolic edges), grade of steel, strength, and production quality.  For a beginner, many of the different design features probably are not critical.  The key point I was trying to make was this:  On one popular online store, the cost of an intermediate blade (Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Pro) is $219, whereas the MK Galaxy is $99.  So the beginner skater should go with the Galaxy because it's a lot cheaper, right?  Not quite.  In my area, figure skate sharpening runs from $20-30.  Even at the lower end, if you sharpen an intermediate blade just 6 fewer times (compared to the beginner blade) over the life of the blade, you break even.  After that, you're ahead.  And, depending on a variety of factors, it might be possible to transfer the intermediate blades to the skater's next pair of boots as she progresses (this assumes that the blades outlast the first pair of boots, and the blade length is suitable for the second pair of boots; neither assumption necessarily holds).

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 12:58:53 PM »
The key point I was trying to make was this:  On one popular online store, the cost of an intermediate blade (Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Pro) is $219, whereas the MK Galaxy is $99.  So the beginner skater should go with the Galaxy because it's a lot cheaper, right?  Not quite.  In my area, figure skate sharpening runs from $20-30.  Even at the lower end, if you sharpen an intermediate blade just 6 fewer times (compared to the beginner blade) over the life of the blade, you break even.  After that, you're ahead.  And, depending on a variety of factors, it might be possible to transfer the intermediate blades to the skater's next pair of boots as she progresses (this assumes that the blades outlast the first pair of boots, and the blade length is suitable for the second pair of boots; neither assumption necessarily holds).

A good compromise for an adult beginner might be an ultima blade.  Cheaper than the ace or pro and better than the galaxy.  I have an ultima legacy blade and I can't complain.  Much less expensive too if I remember right.  I've skated on the MK Pro and I find Ultima just fine.  If op is in NA (where Ultima will be considerably less expensive than the UK) and is a little weary of paying so much for first time blades, this might be a good middle ground.  I'd suggest checking out eclipse as well.  I think the one I had - mist - was a pretty good mid level blade.  I'd buy it again.  I really liked my eclipse blades though I've noticed that the price on them has gone up since they've come out.  Barely ever needed to be sharpened.  I'm sure someone else could get into the 'why' of that, but it was awesome.

The fact that OP is an adult with feet that most likely won't grow make it reasonable to go up a level in blade as, yes, they can probably be transferred.  Brand is important though.  If op switches boot brands, the blade may not fit on the next pair of skates.  I ended up with the Eclipse blades because, moving into Risports, I needed a shorter blade and couldn't move over my other blades.

Offline sk8pink

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Figure Skating
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 04:24:50 AM »
wow thank you so much everybody
really good points and great advice this is going to really help me make the best decision in buying my first pair of skates.
going with something intermediate like the mk pro
taking all your advice to heart to help me through out my adult skating
love love love
 I super appreciate the education

The rocker isn't everything.   e.g. That doesn't tell you the what/where the spin rocker ("sweet spot") is,  which is probably more important, given it's use in turns and spins (duh).    If you're coming from roller skates, any ice skates are going to feel unbelievably directionally unstable,  whatever blades you have.   Since you can cheat checking on wheels, simply by putting all four wheels down and engaging your core.

Once upon a time Wilson sold a beginners blade called the Mercurio.  It had a 6' rocker.   So that concur with your assesment.    I use a pair but they've been ground down over the years to about 9.5'.   I don't have a problem with them.   I suspect backward threes might be easier to learn with a more curved rocker,  but I've gotten by (heck, if you can 3-turn on roller skates, any blades on ice will be a doddle).

But really, you can get used to just about anything.   And realistically,  you'll most likely throw away your first set of skates within a year anyway,  for whatever reason.

ok cool yeah I got to get on those to find the spin rocker. I totally want to work on compulsory figures as well that is why I was leaning towards the galaxys but this is helping me make a better choice.
ok I'm confused so the smaller the rocker the flatter the blade and the bigger the curvier? 
lol right on!

Offline sk8pink

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Figure Skating
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 04:29:57 AM »

great point good looking out, hadn't thought about the extras. I thought maybe the shape of the curve is similar =] I'll work my way up instead. thank you

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 04:33:23 AM »
ok I'm confused so the smaller the rocker the flatter the blade and the bigger the curvier? 
lol right on!

Bigger radius number (i.e. 8' as opposed to 7') means flatter blade.

Diagram of the various radii:

http://www.skatesus.com/learning_center/Blade_Profile_Radius_Info.php?frd=f

Offline sk8pink

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Figure Skating
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 04:35:40 AM »

cool! Thank's
has anyone tried a K PICK I'm tempted to get it cause i'm used to the big roller skate stopper.

Offline sk8pink

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Figure Skating
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 04:41:59 AM »
Since you were born on roller skates, you don't want beginner blades or boots. Something intermediate like Coronation Ace would be more commonly used. Depending on what your preferred shop offers, you might save money by also looking at intermediate blades from Jackson Ultima or Riedell.

Ask good skaters at your rink where they shop, and which skate technician they use, and use them, because, as with roller, there is a huge difference between great skate technicians, and the incompetents who work at most pro shops. A good skate technician will give you good advice on what to buy.

thank you so much right on I will do that! <3

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 05:41:26 PM »
Anyone here can say if the Ultimate Supreme has a higher stanchion like the Gold Seal/Pinnacle does?

I called them and they had no idea what I was talking about. Same issue with Paramount, when I called them to ask about their blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk