You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Boot frustration--when did you give up?  (Read 7817 times)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Re: Boot frustration--when did you give up?
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2016, 04:52:30 PM »
They haven't. The Jackson rep hasn't had any complaints/issues since 2008. I think others just drifted off without a fight.

It's always possible that the other people bought different brands of boots, so may have complained to other manufacturers.

Offline beginner skater

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2016, 07:54:59 PM »
I'm wondering if you paid with a credit card, and if the credit card company would give you any redress. I have had refunds when I've used paypal to pay for goods

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2016, 10:40:46 PM »
Have you told the store that you are unhappy with the boots and asked for a refund? It's probably worth doing, because Jackson may contact them for more information and they may say that they didn't know there was a problem, and that they have been trying to help you. I think it will strengthen your case if you have asked for a refund and they have refused. Maybe take a friend along so you have a witness.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2016, 05:53:37 PM »
Telling the store first would have been great had it been done within a couple days of arrival. But the O.P. has already waited a fair number of days. The longer you wait, the less likely Jackson is to help, because good fit is sometimes a very transient thing. While that is most true for kids, it can also sometimes be true for adults, for various medical reasons. Also, they wouldn't want people to use their boots for a while, then return them.

There is a good chance it is already too late. In addition, the store may say it has contacted Jackson, or that it will take care of things, then not do so. I wouldn't wait longer than he already has. Jackson needs to know now. Sure, they will probably say to let the store try, but they should have already been contacted.

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
Boot frustration--when did you give up?
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2016, 10:58:34 PM »
I had issues and contacted Jackson. Their response was to contact the dealer. There was nothing they could do.

They even started CCing the Jackson chain of command after the first email response, so I am assuming this is the status quo.

It did catch me off guard a bit. I was used to working with companies like Klingbiel and SP-Teri.

Also, Idont rule out the possibility of manufacturer error. Once I ordered Klingbeil 7A and they sent 7C. Jackson sent size 6.5 boots that felt like size 5s. These things can happen.

See if you can get the boot order from the dealer, as well, to see what exactly they asked for. Just in case... to cover all the bases (assuming that the ant done, otherwise disregard).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2016, 12:23:20 PM »
Basically giving up. Went to shop with new boots and old boots, told them new boots do not fit (which they already knew) and to remount blades on old boots. Basically, they won't talk to me at this point. I'm annoyed at myself for believing in their insistence that they could make the boot work for me. After dealing with them for three years, I got burned by trusting them.

Jackson said I could send them the boots and they'd see if they were defective at all. If they were defective, they'd replace, but that's it. Have asked if they have a rep coming to regionals so I can avoid the mailing mess.

I'm relocating Oct 1, so I really don't have the time or energy to continue the crusade. I figure I'll keep the boots in the event weight loss this fall makes a difference. Otherwise, skate swap or eBay.

If any of you North Carolina folks have a good fitter, let me know. After I get settled, I'm going to be a woman on a mission!

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2016, 12:50:16 PM »
How awful!

Some cheap things to try, if you haven't already, before you throw the new boots away:

1. Remove the insoles completely. If you want support, use paper (trace the original insoles on paper. Cut to match.), tape or moleskin on the bottom to provide support where needed. (BTW, raising the arch a bit MIGHT make your foot a little thinner - but it might just give you less space. Try both.)

2. Wear thinner socks (e.g., silk liner socks from a backpacking store). Better still, no socks, though that creates other issues.

3. Lace loosely at the bottom. Use an extra overhand cross to isolate the top and bottom. Better still, don't lace the bottom at all - start a few holes up.

If that combination, together with the toebox stretches you've already had done, isn't enough - I give up. Compensating for somewhat oversized boots is so much easier than somewhat undersized boots.

I'd say you've been more than fair to your dealer and skate tech. You haven't even told us all their names.

You trust the dealer enough to let them remount the blades on your old boots???

Even if Jackson wasn't helpful, I would let them know the dealer failed completely, that you are discussing your bad experience with Jackson boots over the Internet through this forum, and that you are switching boot brands. Probably won't help, but you don't know til you've tried.

BTW, Harlick has a pretty good reputation for dealing with wide toes, and for doing major boot customizations. But even for them - I'd call the manufacturer for a skate tech recommendation.

Good luck on your next new boots!

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2016, 02:42:52 PM »
Oh golly, what a total, complete and utter drag.  I do agree that you should let Jackson know about the dealer, and do hope that you get to talk to a live rep at regionals.  My fingers are crossed for you.

I don't have anywhere near the issues you do, but have dealt with fit issues my whole life.  Split widths were called "full on customs" when I was a kid, thus financially not an option.  As an adult I've been sized as a C/AA in Jacksons, and plan to get that when it comes to be boot time again.  At the moment I'm in C width Risports that work in the heels but are excruciatingly  tight across the toes.  I've had them punched out, which helped, but had to complement with do some odd lacing to make them wearable.  My coach isn't a fan, but shoot- I can stay in the skates for 2 hours with acceptable levels of discomfort (more from skating than the skates iykwim).  Here's a link to my post about it:

http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=6703.msg81003#msg81003

I think reply #5 has the pictures, if the above link doesn't take you directly to it.

My next step, if it comes to it, is what Agnes did to hers, slicing those suckas open.  My right foot, which has a lovely bunion on it, still complains.  But there is that reality issue....these are skates after all, not slippers (but a girl can dream, no?)

Good luck getting it sorted.  If you're willing to make the trek up to MD once you're in NC, I can put you in touch with an awesome skate tech.  He's taken care of me my whole life, and when I come stateside, I bring my skates so he can make them right.

Good luck with the move!!!!!

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2016, 08:20:26 PM »
Where in North Carolina?

If Mark Ladwig is at regionals for Jackson, have him measure you. He did mine, then I took them to our local shop and they ordered to his exact measurements. He'll write them down for you. Don't give up on the brand you like yet.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2016, 08:52:12 PM »
Where in North Carolina?

If Mark Ladwig is at regionals for Jackson, have him measure you. He did mine, then I took them to our local shop and they ordered to his exact measurements. He'll write them down for you. Don't give up on the brand you like yet.

Asheville area... But not afraid to drive to get the job done right!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Heewonee1103

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2016, 09:17:00 AM »
Do you mind if I ask which fitter you went to the first time and the second time? I see that you are located in TX. I'm just curious because I'm going through a boot drama also. Just want to find out if you went to the same fitter that I went to. You can message me if you don't want to post specific names or place.