You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How to pin a Fedora (hat) for a skating program?  (Read 1601 times)

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
How to pin a Fedora (hat) for a skating program?
« on: December 07, 2015, 08:07:07 AM »
I bought this hat for one of my programs. I need ideas on how to pin this to my head so it doesn't fall off. I have two spins in the program so the hat needs to be really secure.

One idea I had was to cut slits in each side and bobby pin it down. My hair is really slippery so I am afraid the bobby pin idea might not even work.

Help!

http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/accessories/hats_and_hair/hat24.aspx?position=20
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
Re: How to pin a Fedora (hat) for a skating program?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 08:56:31 AM »
I think that it is pretty common for coaches to say no bobby pins because if they fall out they could mess up somebody's program. A synchro mom taught me to sew in buns and hair pieces using fishing line and a big plastic needle from the craft store. You just sort of whip stitch the hair (in the case of a bun) or hair piece in place and knot the fishing line once you come back around to the other side. It is super secure and the weight or pressure is dispersed to a larger amount of your head and doesn't pull in just a couple of spots. DD says it is actually more comfortable then a few bobby pins poking and pulling at your hair.

Offline Jenna

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 05:15:21 PM »
We had fedoras for a synchro program and we just took a snap clip barrette and used the tag at the back of the hat to barrette it to our hair.  There were no spins in our program, but no hats flew off either.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 05:34:43 PM »
I'd second sewing it in to your hair. Easiest way for a hat is to do a braid around the top and sew it into the braid.

Bobby pins are expressly forbidden at our rink, and I believe on the synchro circuit as well, because of the chance of them falling out onto the ice, then someone skating over it and hurting themselves.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 08:42:28 PM »
My go to for hats as costume accessories is sewing a bra strap onto the hat. Skin colored, adjustable to get on easily and then snug it up. Only thing that kept hats on my head while doing a layback spin. It's usually cheaper to buy a cheap bra and cut the straps off then buy the bra straps from a fabric store. I've now done this for four of my own programs and many of our ice show costumes - the girls are always excited when they get one of "my" hats because they stay on so well!

We do use bobby pins for ice shows but they MUST be x pinned.

Offline skatezilla

• Searching for my back edges
  • Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 01:27:44 AM »
When I've had to wear a hat or wig on the ice I use a piece of clear elastic. Sew it onto one side and use a small piece of Velcro to attach.