You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New Skates - let the breaking in begin  (Read 4008 times)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
New Skates - let the breaking in begin
« on: December 12, 2014, 05:33:13 PM »
Wow, STIFF!!  Toes got a little numb, well a lot numb the first time when they were tied tighter.  A lot of playing around to do with the tying.  So I'm going back to another rink tonight and continue the process.

I think I really like the blades.  My alignment is off on the right but I think it's me and not the skates as it didn't change no matter what the fitter did.

I started with a 7/16 ROH and went to a 9/16 and was then able to stop LOL!

Boots are gorgeous!
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
Re: New Skates - let the breaking in begin
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 11:15:15 PM »
I went to a 2hr 50 minute session and stayed the whole time but got off the ice at least 5-7 times, taking the skates off to get my circulation back to normal (5-10 minutes or so each time).

It occurred to me wondering if my toes were just getting cold and numb because of that?  There's no major pressure issues anywhere really, just that the boots and tongue are extremely stiff.  My toes felt cold to the touch after the session but the bottom of the back of my foot (heel) was warm.  It probably wasn't cold, doesn't really make sense that they'd be so much less insulated than my old boots.  The padding inside is pretty thick and I have yellow superfeet in both the old and new boots.

As for the blades, I thought I'd have a lot more difficulty with them but I think I really like them!  Jim was right, Jim was right, Jim was right.... read: put your faith in your fitter when you seek out a real pro.... it was more the ROH that was an issue than the blade!

I fell once, not badly and I think I was just doing a 3 turn or something, had the right boot too loose.

Spins - I am still really learning to spin well (and still have not done it on a lesson) but with these boots and blades I was finally more on the ball once I got into the spin than on the toe pick.  Sweet spot?

I admit, I am a little surprised by the level of numbness in breaking these in.  I know custom doesn't mean everything is perfect from the start but I'm still surprised.  This is normal?  Everyone there tonight pretty much said they had the same issue breaking in new boots.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 11:58:22 PM »
Dunno what to tell you about the numbness, but did want to say that I'm SO GLAD you finally got your skates!!!! And that you're liking the blades. High five on that.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 12:09:49 AM »
Thanks Loops!  LOL!

Offline saje

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 08:28:02 AM »
Congrats on getting new skates!  I always have trouble finding the "right" way to tie new skates for a while.  I usually start off by tying them REALLY loose and only doing up the first two hooks.  I don't jump or spin until I feel comfortable tying them more tightly (usually 1-2 sessions).  Also, on the topic of foot numbness, my latest pair of skates came with 100% cotton laces, which I found made my feet go numb really easily in a way that nylon or combo don't (nylon laces are my favorite).  However, it's probably too early to tell with your skates if you need a different kind of lace or if your feet are just getting adjusted to the new boots.

Overall, glad to hear that you don't have any major issues with them! 
Current Skating Projects:
-Intermediate MITF (still...)
-Double toes + double loops
-Getting my camel back

Offline kr1981

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 12:07:21 PM »
Definitely tie them looser while you're breaking them in. I left the top hook undone when I was breaking in new boots back in August. If you have your laces pulled too tight, that can cause numbness/the cold sensation in your toes, because it's cutting off circulation (even though my boots are broken in, if I pull the laces too tight across the bunion area, my big toe will still be freezing cold and go numb). My coach said the best way to break in new boots is to just do backward crossovers and backward swizzles. This definitely did the trick! Once I got comfortable with my new blades, doing waltz jumps also definitely helped.

To check for proper alignment, do a one-foot glide on one of the hockey lines and just keep holding it. If you eventually start to curve, your alignment is still off.

Good luck! It will be worth it once your new boots are broken in!  :)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 02:26:30 PM »
Thanks for your input!

They came with nylon laces, my fitter said to use until they're broken in.  The trick is tying them loose enough but still locking the heel in, it's tough!  (Pun intended.) 

Interesting about backwards because that is when I REALLY feel the stiffness, in the tongue, around the middle of my foot.  So I guess that's normal?  I did do some of that but not too much because I was afraid to compress nerves (way less forgiving than muscle and even tendons).

On alignment, I didn't check it again skating last night because it was a crowded public session and the ice was also pretty cut up.  I'm going to break them in a bit, then re-address that right blade if necessary.  It seems I always have an issue on the right.

I did feel my edges where a bit easier.   :D

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 03:11:10 PM »
When I break in skates, I tie the bottom portion normally (or just slightly more loosely). However, when I get to the hook portion, i do something slightly different. I place the blade on the ground and bend slightly forward, then tie the hooks tight to that position. I only do the first two hooks for awhile (and I can jump axels that way because the boots still give lateral support). This takes away some of the pressure on the front of the ankle while you're breaking it in, but still gives you control and the ability to bend.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 03:23:02 PM »
Thanks I'll try that!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 03:21:24 PM »
Bumping for newbs
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 06:13:08 AM »
I read the title and thought it read "New skates-let the crying begin"
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 214
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 08:44:34 PM »
I read the title and thought it read "New skates-let the crying begin"

Totally true! +GOE

I'm breaking in new skates right now. I'm doing my usual - and a trick that I learned from your blog, Agnes. I lace up only to the second from the top and then use a hair tie to hold the top hooks. It works pretty well and I've passed it on to other skaters. They've all thanked me for the tip after they tried it.

I also heat molded the **** out of these things. They're the same model I'd have (Riedell Silver Stars), but the break-in period has been much worse for some reason. Burnt out a hairdryer because I was heating them at the rink just to get my foot in. They're better now, but the heat molding was necessary.

And the one thing not mentioned on this thread yet but praised elsewhere: bunga pads. They're worth the cost.