You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Secondhand skate usability?  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Aramint

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Secondhand skate usability?
« on: February 25, 2014, 02:45:22 AM »
I'm currently 18 and thinking of doing figure skating lessons after a half a year hiatus. Previously, I had gotten up to somewhere around 3-turns and backwards crossovers in hockey rental skates and have since then acquired used skates from eBay.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/118633098@N08/
They're T. Altamura boots (The brand appears to have gone out of business and I think they're around 20ish years old judging by wear?) with John Wilson Coronation Ace blades. The blades look to have some greying where it has been sharpened. Is this normal?
They fit quite snugly but I'm experiencing some discomfort in my ankles as the sides are really stiff and weigh significantly more (perhaps 300g more?) than the Jackson Mystique's that I'm looking at getting.
I've tried them on and have noticed that it's significantly more flexible than the used skates. However, the base is made of plastic as opposed to the woody black stuff on my current skates. Does this make a significant difference in durability?
Since I've never actually had much experience with non-rental skates, I was wondering whether either the boots or the blades are salvageable enough to skate on.
Or should I just get some new Jackson's before classes start?

Thanks in advance

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
Re: Secondhand skate usability?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:53:01 AM »
Some blades have a slight grind on the sides of the blade near the bottom edge. This how the blade was manufactured. Other blades do not have this side grind. I would recommend having a sharpening technician look at the blades.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 12:47:10 PM »
When I first returned to skating I tried to wear my old Risports that were around 12 years old. The biggest problem was that my feet had changed so they were no longer a good fit, but I also noticed that they were very stiff and heavy. I assumed it was because boot design had improved over the years and also that heat molding was now an option.
With plastic soles you won't be able to change the blades.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 01:19:21 PM »
The Jackson Mystique is a MUCH lower level boot than the used ones you have, that's why they feel much softer.  I'm not familiar with the brand of the used boots, but physically they look okay, and were probably originally a low-mid level freestyle boot (which should be okay for you since they are used), and the blades look to be in good shape as well - there is plenty of sharpening left on them and I don't see any rust, but since it's not possible to see the rocker profile well from the images, I second the suggestion to visit a sharpener just to make sure they're in good shape to skate on (as in, sharp enough, no previous sharpening damage done to the profile of the blade), but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to use them.

If you have pain over your ankle bones because the leather is stiff, you can have the boots punched out in those places (which is very common, most pro shops can do this for you for a small fee), or try wearing gel sleeves (either by Bunga or Silipos).  Silipos are usually cheaper, you can buy the 10" tube for the price of one 5" bunga sleeve and cut it in half so you have a 5" sleeve for each ankle.  I just bought one on Amazon for $16.99.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 02:24:59 PM »
To the OP: The boots are past their prime. -- buy new boots and have the Coronation Ace blades put on them if they're the right length.  The blades are in good shape. 

Old boots are not a good thing.  The idolation of "vintage" skates is silly.  Leather, especially when stored for long periods, becomes very stiff in a not-supportive-for-skating way.  For the lurkers: don't buy old skates second-hand if they're more than six years old.  Period.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 12:01:08 AM »
The Altamura brand is Australian and rumor has it that they are still made in a garage in Melbourne by a retired bootmaker.  If indeed they are still made, I'm pretty sure they only make soft roller shoes; they stopped making ice boots many years ago.  I think the boots you've posted are probably 25+ years old.  I started in used Altamuras and they were seriously uncomfortable.  I'd second FigureSpins' advice to get newer boots, and move the blades across if they fit, as the blades look to be in good nick.