You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Boot heel height and jump height  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Cryo

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
Boot heel height and jump height
« on: August 29, 2013, 12:34:20 AM »
Has anyone ever read anything relating boot heel height to jump height?  Like would a lower heel result in higher jumps potentially? I don't really get why skates have such high heels.

I think I could jump higher in tennis shoes than high heels, so would the same extend to skates?

Also is there a chart anywhere with relative heel heights by manufacturer?

Something like the following:

Highest heel
Brand X
Brand Y
Brand Z
Brand A
Brand B
Lowest heel

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Re: Boot heel height and jump height
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 06:42:05 AM »
I think Edea has the highest heel. I don't know why they made the heel that high, though, and what effect heel height can have on your skating.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 07:47:07 AM »
Heel height really has nothing to do with jump height.  Jump height comes from springing up from deeply bent knees.  The deeper the bend, the faster the straightening/spring, the higher the jump.  A minute amount comes from speed as well, but that mainly determines the distance the jump covers on the ice.  It takes a lot of muscle to launch yourself into the air, turn around  and land backwards on one sliver of metal.

Basketball players' jump shots are usually equated with figure skating jumps.  There is some correlation and plyometrics training helps increase height by honing the explosive jumping technique required.  However, most off-ice jumping is done in place; figure skating jumps are executed as the skater travels along the ice far further than any basketball player and the rotations required are higher for figure skaters. 

No one jumps flat-footed on the ice or off.  When you jump in tennis shoes, you lift your heels and press upward off the ground using the balls of your feet and your toes.  That's basically the position figure skates with a heel create.  Since the skate's sole is solid when compared to tennis or basketball shoes, it makes sense to build in that strong foot position. 

Heel height also allows the skater to glide and turn on the rocker by concentrating body weight forward.  Without a heel, footwork, spins and gliding maneuvers (such as spirals and spreadeagles) are very difficult because of the balancing.  There is a lot more to this sport than jumping.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 08:23:51 AM »
FigureSpins: Would you know why bootmakers designed different heel heights for their skates? Edea's models are the most interesting to me -- the heels are much higher than in Jacksons or Riedells.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 08:44:46 AM »
I've never really asked.  Sounds like no one else has, either.  Why don't you send the various mfgs emails, asking what their standard heel heights are and what purpose do they serve vs. a different heel height?

My Klingbeil Customs and Jackson Competitors had higher heels than my SP-Teri stock boots, if that matters.

Heel height also allows the skater to glide and turn on the rocker by concentrating body weight forward.  Without a heel, footwork, spins and gliding maneuvers (such as spirals and spreadeagles) are very difficult because of the balancing.

Many coaches prefer the higher heel to help with spins and turns.  It positions the balance more forward in the boot.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 09:08:49 AM »
Many coaches prefer the higher heel to help with spins and turns.  It positions the balance more forward in the boot.

Ahh, that's probably it.