You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Risport Questions  (Read 6381 times)

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
Risport Questions
« on: May 26, 2013, 06:27:22 PM »
I have a pair of a couple month old RF3 Super's that are really hurting the arch of my foot where the sole meets the leather.  I've been told to just keep wearing them and they'll soften up and to bump the area a bit (which I've had done).  I really can't understand how this area will soften up as it's obviously got something else in there to hold the shape... if you knock your knuckle against it, it certainly doesn't sound like my leather Gams!

My question is this... I was told that Risports aren't heat moldable.  What does that mean?  Does it mean there's no benefit?  Or does it mean it will damage the skates?  Because if it's not going to melt whatever's in between the layers, I'm seriously considering taking a heat gun to the trouble area just to see if I can soften it up a bit.  The pain is so bad that I'm considering buying something else.  I literally can't keep them on my feet - I must unlace them at least 3 times in a 2 hour long session.  I skate on them about 4-6 hours a week but even considering the light amount of weekly use, I've had them for a couple months and I feel like this is getting ridiculous already.

I've already tried super feet and another type of arch support insoles.  The only thing I had some relief with was double layering insoles which had the negative effect of really squeezing my toes.

If anyone has any experience with Risport and can tell me if I'll destroy them by heating them a bit, it would be greatly appreciated!

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: Risport Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 07:27:40 PM »
Your comments about double layer insoles making your skates feel a bit better makes me wonder if experimenting with putting in arch supports that go only in the arch area (rather than the entire foot) would help.  Here's an example of of a commercially available one that someone on the forum reported using and liking:  http://www.amazon.com/Pedag-166475-Adhesive-Support-Medium/dp/B001U3Y9Q2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1369610514&sr=8-6   You could also experiment with some homemade ones using things like folded facial tissues or craft foam to see if this approach is likely to help.

Sorry I can't help with the Risport portion of your question.  I hope you find something that makes your skates more comfortable!

Offline amy1984

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 08:00:24 PM »
Your comments about double layer insoles making your skates feel a bit better makes me wonder if experimenting with putting in arch supports that go only in the arch area (rather than the entire foot) would help.  Here's an example of of a commercially available one that someone on the forum reported using and liking:  http://www.amazon.com/Pedag-166475-Adhesive-Support-Medium/dp/B001U3Y9Q2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1369610514&sr=8-6   You could also experiment with some homemade ones using things like folded facial tissues or craft foam to see if this approach is likely to help.

Sorry I can't help with the Risport portion of your question.  I hope you find something that makes your skates more comfortable!

I think I'll try the arch support... Can't hurt!  Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline Skating_Jen

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »
Have you tried not to tie them too tight?? I have Risport and if I tie them too tight I have that problem as my blood can't flow properly. Maybe try that and the arch support?!
It doesn't matter how bad the day/week is as soon as I'm on the ice and hear the sound of my blades it's all good. Nothing else matters on the ice!

Offline amy1984

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 12:56:48 AM »
Have you tried not to tie them too tight?? I have Risport and if I tie them too tight I have that problem as my blood can't flow properly. Maybe try that and the arch support?!

I've tried all different types of lacing.  But thanks for the advice!

I finally took a heat gun to the arch area... The website says their skates are 'thermoformable' even though I was told not to put them in an oven so I took a chance and it seems to have really helped.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 04:24:16 AM »
I thought the RF3s could be heat molded. My sister's definitely went in the oven as did friends.
I could believe the RF4s couldn't be heat molded as they've got the plastic sole.

Heating them would probably help somewhat, but it does sound like you need better arch support. Hopefully you can find some insoles which work without cramping your toes too much.

Offline amy1984

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 06:33:39 AM »
The problem I was having was that the instep was too tight I think and it was causing a cramp and also digging into my instep.  This isn't the sole of the shoe but the leather that hits at the instep if that makes sense.  It's really odd because I have perfectly normal arches and feet.  The skates were probably a little too narrow in the instep for me.

The place where I bought the skates (which is a super reputable shop and deals with a lot of top level skaters) told me DO NOT PUT THEM IN AN OVEN as they weren't heat moldable like many others.  But through some research I deduced that that doesn't mean that heat won't soften up the leather if something is pinching.  My local shop said she doesn't usually heat mold Risport, but some people request it and she's never had any sort of problem with it.

Long story short: not 'heat moldable' like other brands which have heat moldable systems in place, but not necessarily NOT heat moldable, either.  In fact, the top models apparently come with some sort of 'thermoformable' system that inculdes a weird looking bag that you use to heat the skates.  From what I could discern, 'thermoformable' seems to be directed towards the padding INSIDE the skate.  Also, my Jackson's only had the heat moldable middle layer that Jackson uses on the uppers from what I could tell, but heat molding still helped with pinching of my toes.  So in the end I figured what the hey and took a heat gun to my Risports.

Whatever.  Ridiculous if you ask me, lol.

The heat gun worked fine and I'm sure an oven would have, too.

And this could all be wrong considering that the info was gained via google searching.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 08:55:43 AM »
A lot of skate shops don't want you putting them in the oven as some people still don't have convection (fan assisted) ovens.
Heat molding needs to be done in a convection oven.
Hopefully if you heat them you can get that area of the boot punched out at your local skate shop.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 11:36:52 AM »
Heat molding a non-heatmoldable boot won't "hurt" it, but it may not do a whole lot of good either.  It can be helpful to assist in punching or stretching because it will soften the glue that bonds the layers of leather together, but I wouldn't expect much more from it.

Offline amy1984

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 05:16:10 PM »
A lot of skate shops don't want you putting them in the oven as some people still don't have convection (fan assisted) ovens.
Heat molding needs to be done in a convection oven.
Hopefully if you heat them you can get that area of the boot punched out at your local skate shop.

They meant not to have it done at the shop in my home town - I wasn't about to put it in an oven at home.  Oy - I bet I'd screw that up and destroy the skates :P

Offline amy1984

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 05:17:14 PM »
Heat molding a non-heatmoldable boot won't "hurt" it, but it may not do a whole lot of good either.  It can be helpful to assist in punching or stretching because it will soften the glue that bonds the layers of leather together, but I wouldn't expect much more from it.

That's the conclusion I came to.  But I was actually surprised at how much it helped me open up the instep.  I'll probably have to do it a couple times, but it seems to have helped.