You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What is the most important measurement for skating pants?  (Read 4774 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
What is the most important measurement for skating pants?
« on: April 15, 2013, 10:03:15 AM »
I'm thinking of getting skating pants (leggings) but I'll be ordering it from abroad and so I won't be able to try them on. However, my measurements are way too different from the size charts. For example, for ny2sportswear, I'm size 14+ for the waist and hips, 10-12 for the thigh, and 12-14 for the inseam. Is the inseam the one which I should base my size on? I can't skate when I have lots of extra inches dangling at my boots, but I'm worried about the waist and hip measurements. Thanks!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: What is the most important measurement for skating pants?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 10:32:03 AM »
Waist, unless you have a larger hip measurement, then hips.

My Ny2sportswear pants are about 10 inches too long when I wear them as running pants (this isn't unusual- I cut 5-8 inches off of most jeans when I hem them)- so I try to bring another pair of pants to change at the gym.  They fit just fine on my boots- because they are made to go over the heel, so really I only have a maybe 5 inches extra. I bunch them up a bit right on the tongue of the boot, and on the calf.

I would never base just on inseam- if i did that in NYSportswear, I'd never get the pants over my thighs!

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 07:19:49 PM »
It really depends on your body shape and personal preference as to firmness.  For me, I always choose first by half girth (front waist through crotch to back waist) then inseam then waist then hips.  But then I hate pants which don't stay up because they're too short in the half girth - a tighter waist does not compensate for me - and I find it hard to get pants with a sufficiently long inseam.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 06:09:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies! I just checked out Chloe Noel and their sizing seems better for me -- most of my measurements fit in AXS.

Curiously, I thought Chloe Noel was more expensive than the others (ny2sportswear, seku, etc), but they're priced pretty much the same...

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 09:13:04 AM »
I've found seku to be more expensive than Chloe Noel, and Chloe Noel to be a little more expensive than Ny2sportswear- but they are all in the same range I think.

For the measurements you posted in the first post- were those 12-14s kid sizes?  Because as adult sizes, those seem more like L, so it is surprising to hear you'd be XS in another brand.

Offline Sushi

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 11:49:49 AM »
I have the 2-tone Waistband Ny2sportswear in an AS and I'm around your height and weight with an inseam of 27in. I had the same dilemma but I sized up. I wanted to allow shrinkage in the wash and I hate it when waistbands cut into the waist. The pants are very form fitting and have to be stretched over the heel so they don't hang, there just some wrinkles at the ankles.

Measured flat: Waist≈ 12in, Hips≈ 15in (max width), Thigh≈ 8. in (max width), & Inseam≈ 31.5in.
Poor picture quality but it shows the pants length fits on me. I probably could hem the blue cuff off to make it  ≈1.25in shorter.

http://distilleryimage8.s3.amazonaws.com/303c9196a6a411e287a122000a9f13ec_7.jpg

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 07:51:04 PM »
I've found seku to be more expensive than Chloe Noel, and Chloe Noel to be a little more expensive than Ny2sportswear- but they are all in the same range I think.

For the measurements you posted in the first post- were those 12-14s kid sizes?  Because as adult sizes, those seem more like L, so it is surprising to hear you'd be XS in another brand.

I got it from this size chart: http://www.ny2sportswear.com/pages/Size-Chart.html.

I'm Adult M for waist, Adult L for hips, Adult XS for inseam, and Child L for things. So it does cover almost the entire spectrum, lol!

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 08:23:54 PM »
I got it from this size chart: http://www.ny2sportswear.com/pages/Size-Chart.html.

I'm Adult M for waist, Adult L for hips, Adult XS for inseam, and Child L for things. So it does cover almost the entire spectrum, lol!

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that those measurements were the unstretched garment measurements. Some times companies list that for sizing - all though they usually state that on the page. However, I make clothing for a living and those measurements just seem too small to be actual body measurements for the size listed.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 08:49:58 PM »
Waist, unless you have a larger hip measurement, then hips.

You can always make them shorter but you can't make them bigger is my philosophy.  ;D

Of course I can wear capris in Talls and they go to my ankles. NOTHING in skatewear fits me off the rack.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sushi

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 08:54:34 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that those measurements were the unstretched garment measurements. Some times companies list that for sizing - all though they usually state that on the page. However, I make clothing for a living and those measurements just seem too small to be actual body measurements for the size listed.

True, I definitely don't have 30in hips.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 11:27:29 PM »
That brand has weird sizing, or more likely I'm a weird shape  :P - none of those would fit.  If they're flat measurements, then I might be a medium or a large depending on the half girth, but the large is still way too short in the inseam, since it includes the 4 inches for the heel cover.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 12:30:50 AM »
These kinds of pants (and most things made with spandex/lycra fabric) include a fair amount of negative ease, even some in the vertical direction.  My favorite pair of UA pants looks like capris until I put them on, but once on they still cover the tops of my boots because they're so stretchy :)

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 07:10:55 AM »

Thanks for pointing this out, CaraSkates. When I actually saw the size chart, I was like -- who has 23in waists nowadays???? :p

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »
Thanks for pointing this out, CaraSkates. When I actually saw the size chart, I was like -- who has 23in waists nowadays???? :p

No problem! It makes way more sense to be flat measurements with a lot of negative ease! It would help if they stated that on the website though! Otherwise people will be left wondering why they can't fit into the clothes! ;-)

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 11:23:46 AM »
I was like -- who has 23in waists nowadays???? :p

7 year olds ;)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 02:21:40 PM »
Sigh, all the size 0 folks around me...

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 02:41:43 PM »
Sigh, all the size 0 folks around me...

Don't worry- not me!  In fact, I cry a little when everyone says how much weight they lost from skating.  I gained 20 pounds from when I started skating to when I stopped (about 7 years time I think).

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 02:46:34 PM »
Don't worry- not me!  In fact, I cry a little when everyone says how much weight they lost from skating.

You're not alone - I'm definitely in better physical shape than I was 3 years ago, and while I have definitely lost fat, it's been replaced with muscle... so my net weight loss is still basically 0.

I am not skinny by any stretch of the imagination - but I'm honestly okay with that at this point in my life :)

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 05:17:42 PM »
This is why I buy tights/yoga pants and skorts from TJ Maxx. XD I feel like they fit better and cost less, anyway.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »
I agree that those measurements on the sizing chart have to be the unstretched material measurements.  My hips are 36" at the widest point and I wear an adult size Small in every brand imaginable.  Only children have 30" hips.  If you have some leggings that fit you, just lay them flat, measure the width of the hips and multiply x 2, then compare that with the size chart and see where it puts you.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 09:31:41 PM »
I agree that those measurements on the sizing chart have to be the unstretched material measurements.  My hips are 36" at the widest point and I wear an adult size Small in every brand imaginable.  Only children have 30" hips.  If you have some leggings that fit you, just lay them flat, measure the width of the hips and multiply x 2, then compare that with the size chart and see where it puts you.

Great suggestion, Doubletoe! Thanks!

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 10:32:19 AM »
I too am baffled by the mysterious NY2 sizing...

I'm 5'4 and weigh about 113. My measurements are:
Inseam: 29" on right leg, 28.5 on left
Hips: 36
Waist: 27.5
Thighs: 20.5

According to NY2's size chart, I'd be a medium almost everywhere but man, my thunder thighs wouldn't even fit in their pants...

Maybe I should just throw in the towel and get Chloe's.

Also, does anyone know if the 2-tone waistband pants are meant to be worn pulled down over the heel of the boot? I'm assuming so, but all the photos don't show it that way.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 06:09:20 PM »

According to NY2's size chart, I'd be a medium almost everywhere but man, my thunder thighs wouldn't even fit in their pants...

I share your pain.  Not only do I have skater's butt,but medieval peasant thighs, and the calves of a horsewoman. From the waist up, I'm hot. From the waist down, I'm funny looking. AND NOTHING FITS!
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 06:13:46 PM »

Maybe I should just throw in the towel and get Chloe's.

Also, does anyone know if the 2-tone waistband pants are meant to be worn pulled down over the heel of the boot? I'm assuming so, but all the photos don't show it that way.

I am heck of a lot larger than you (but shorter) and wear the Ls.  They fit, tightly.  There is a TON of stretch, they'd fit over your thighs. 
I have the 2-tone waistband, and they do go over the heel, unless they changed the style.