You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating while being well endowed in the chest  (Read 7282 times)

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
Skating while being well endowed in the chest
« on: August 08, 2011, 04:18:55 PM »
For you ladies that are well endowed in the upper area of the chest, how do you control bounce during a competition?  I find that for practice I am fine and wear a sports bra but during competition you can't exactly wear one under the pretty dress. They will show.  Regular bras still have a lot of bounce.  Maybe some of you have seen something that other skaters do, I don't know but need some ideas.  And I rather not use tape as most of them cause tape burn on my skin or bruise me really bad.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Skating while being well endowed in the chest
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 05:00:59 PM »
I have found my favorite skating bra at Target of all places.. it's not a sports bra, but it has the best support of a "regular" bra I have ever found (I think because it's full coverage)... it's like it was custom made for me and it fits PERFECTLY.

http://www.target.com/Self-Expressions-Lilyette-Unlined-T-Shirt/dp/B003EPXQRM/

They aren't showing all sizes on the website, but I wear a 36DD and have found them in stores no problem :)  I probably have 5 or 6 of them now - I love them, even if they only come in black and beige.  I actually wear them all the time now, not just skating.  My mom makes fun of me because they're cheap and she's convinced that any "big box" bras must be junk, but I don't care - they're comfortable.

My second favorite bra is the Maia sports bra from Moving Comfort - it has a standard bra back, however in front it's basically a bra within a bra (an underwire under more like a regular sports bra) so it does come up much higher in front than some others do so it couldn't be worn under anything low-cut, however it's ZERO bounce.  I usually wear this one when I'm out cycling... the "road jiggles" annoy me much more than skating :)

http://www.movingcomfort.com/Maia/350011,default,pd.html

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »
So do you wear this sports bra in competitions?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:10:47 PM »
Here's a selection of some minimizer bras. I wore the Olga one for years. Then I switched to front close ones only (to keep the snaps from ruining the line of the dress in the back--something to consider for a costume)
Minimizers:  http://www.herroom.com/minimizer,bras,43,001,10.html

Front close: http://www.herroom.com/front-close,bras,38,001,2,10.html

I found this bra to provide good satisfaction even in high impact aerobic classes.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 09:07:05 PM »
A good dress can solve a lot of this.  My dress maker uses a "hold it all in" liner.    ;D

Offline LilJen

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 56
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 09:56:05 PM »
It is one of my fondest dreams to create a bra that (1) holds it all in and eliminates bounce, for women who actually have breasts (as opposed to a "skater figure"--ie, slender and small-chested), (2) creates a smooth line, and (3) is or can be converted to be invisible under skating dresses. Because I haven't found one and I don't think it exists. Dancewear is not made to contain People of Average Size, namely, those with any spare flesh, so the dancewear undergarments I've tried either don't give enough support or don't give enough coverage.

Probably your best bet is to have a bra built into your dresses. I've considered that but haven't done it yet. For the moment am somewhat satisfied with this: http://www.herroom.com/valmont-641-multipurpose-underwire-bra.shtml . The back "invisible" strap is not as invisible as I would like it to be, and the bounce up top (with any lower cut dress) is distracting to me (and probably to those unfortunate to have to witness it). :)

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 10:18:17 PM »
If I have a dress that has a low back or something where I can't really wear a regular bra, I end up taking a sports bra, cutting it up and sewing it into the dress. It is easy to hide that using the side seams of the dress to sew the bra onto. The tricky part is getting the right tension in the band and getting the top to line up right so that it doesn't show.

I currently am a 36D and I am finally at a point where I feel somewhat comfortable wearing a regular bra if I have to (wore one for the last time I took senior moves and for our show this past year - moves was scarier to wear it for than the show!! Probably because I already feel self conscious that I am taking senior moves as a 31 year old and the judges around here oftentimes are not entirely supportive of adults skating). I was at one point a 38DD, but I have lost about 40 pounds total and about 20 in the past year - and in the last year, I have gained a lot of muscle, so I have no clue where that puts me in terms of real fat loss. My measurements are still going down and I am hoping that my chest goes down more. I would love to be a 36C...and if they go smaller than that, BONUS! I doubt that will happen since most of the women in my family have larger chests (but then again, many of them are overweight too, so I can't really compare), but a girl can dream, can't she?

Offline KillianL

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 11:37:12 PM »
My sister (D cup) and I (C cup) both needed an undergarment to hide our bras while wearing matching backless skating dresses for ISI Winter Classic in February.  We used a camisole undergarment, Maidenform® Control It!® Firm Control Camisole - http://www.maidenform.com/shapewear/styles/camisoles--tops/maidenform-control-it-firm-control-camisole-12416 - that was scarcely noticeable from a distance, gave us both a great line, and controlled bounce, and we got to wear our usual bras.  You can actually see us in action with these very undergarments in the Spring 2011 edition of Recreational Ice Skating Magazine, Page 15 - it's the issue with Alissa  Czisny on the cover.  We're the gals in Blue & Green with tendrils of death - er, I mean ribbons - in hand.  Check it out here, if you like.  http://www.skateisi.com/site/Sub.Cfm?Content=Publications_Ris   ;D

Offline Backtotheice

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 08:37:43 AM »
I realize this thread is 5 years old but I was curious if anyone had any new tips, insights or products they find helpful for this problem. As a 36G I must wear a strong supportive bra to skate, but every modern dress design out there has a low back or strapless look. In another thread Caraskates suggested having the dressmaker double line the nude areas to not be see-through, and I think I will try that for the testing dress I need to have made soon. Has anyone had luck with this approach, or have other suggestions?

Thank you!

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 09:21:45 AM »
I realize this thread is 5 years old but I was curious if anyone had any new tips, insights or products they find helpful for this problem. As a 36G I must wear a strong supportive bra to skate, but every modern dress design out there has a low back or strapless look. In another thread Caraskates suggested having the dressmaker double line the nude areas to not be see-through, and I think I will try that for the testing dress I need to have made soon. Has anyone had luck with this approach, or have other suggestions?

Thank you!

So to be honest I think the best thing you can do is find a dress that is either already capable of hiding a proper sports bra or that can be modified to hide one.  I've tried on almost every contraption known to womankind and I have yet to find something that both accommodates a low back and a large bust in an athletic setting.  One poster suggested using a camisole or something similar to hide the bra.  Illusion material could be used.  No need to actually have an open back.  I also find that a good sports bra will smooth things out nicely.  If you have your dress made in a way that helps hold things in, you could probably get away with something seamless (which is usually not top level support) and that would help with keeping a clean line.  But yah.  I've tried on everything meant for dance and none of it works if you actually have a chest.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 09:27:02 AM »

Thank you!

Bustier combined with boob taping
http://www.barenecessities.com/Corsets--Bustiers-Bras_catalog_nxs,31,style,5.htm
http://thebraguide.com/boob-tape-how-to-tape-your-breasts-for-amazing-cleavage/
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 03:25:33 PM »
Personally I choose a dress design which allows one to wear a bra. No need to have an open back. To be frank, I'd get cold!
I've also discovered that quite a lot of dresses which look like they have a low back, aren't that low and actually cover bra straps if needed.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 03:09:26 PM »
My daughter has a large bust, she is thin but just very well endowed. We do two things.

First, I make her dresses with nude colored lining that go from top to bottom, even under the mesh so that the whole dress is opaque, even if it looks like parts are sheer mesh. That way she can comfortably wear undergarments with no chance of them showing through.

Second, she wears a nude colored leotard designed with a low back that we bought from a dance store. It has a clear strap that goes across the back to provide good support in the bust area. It works really well for her and she feels secure and comfortable.

I have made built in sports bras in her dresses, but she prefers the separate leotard. It also makes changing in a dressing room at a competition more comfortable for her too. She puts on the leo at home and then can change in and out of her dress without feeling too shy if there are other people in the dressing room.