You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: pattern 99 blades  (Read 4697 times)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
pattern 99 blades
« on: April 15, 2011, 07:54:09 PM »
I was at a shop that had pattern 99 blades in her size 9 for $200.  They were used by a skater who had growth spurt and are almost new.  My dd is (I even can't believe it)  actually landing a lutz.  and all the other jumps are apparently clean.  her spins suck but she does get 6 or 7 revs on scratch and 3 on camel and sit.  back scratch is non existent.   So should I get them, or will it just be a waste since she is not at the level to use them?

Thank for your opinions

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
Re: pattern 99 blades
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 08:37:38 PM »
What blades does she have now? If she is in the blades that come attached to skates they might really help her spins. She doesn't need the more expensive blades and if she is in Aces or something around that level she doesn't need to upgrade just yet. Talk to her coach and see what she says she might be better off in something  more appropriate for her level. Patterns have huge toepicks lol!

I barely have an axel and I'm in used Gold Seals. I love them and would buy them (used) again even though I would never legitimately need them, but definatly run it past her coach first.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 08:39:22 PM »
Coronation Ace or MK Pros would be more appropriate for her level and cost about the same amount of money, new.

I think you should take a pass on the Pattern 99's.  Once you move her up to those blades, she cannot step back down easily to a less-expensive blade, so you're increasing future expenses.  In a few years, when she needs Pattern 99's, there may be better options that cost less.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 08:51:10 PM »
yes she is in the blades that came with the skates.  Coach wants her in different blades but we have not had a chance to really discuss it.

And I never thought about it that way Figurespins. 

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 08:52:08 AM »
She's just landing her jumps, she's experiencing success: I would leave her in her current blades to build confidence.  Also, how close are you to a boot replacement?  If you're close ... then you would need to buy new blades at that point, so you're not saving money, really.

(BTW: can you mount blades on the current boots? Can't remember what boots your DD wears ... are they PVC or leather?)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
Yes she needs new boots too...we had to stretch them only last week

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 08:08:16 PM »
I would second the MK Pro's. I've seen some new on Ebay for 189 including shipping! I think my daughter's were just over 200 through the rink. Did you ever decide on boots? If she is starting to land a lutz, I really would consider looking at the Jackson Freestyle boot with the Mk Pro blade. I'd wait on the Pattern 99 blades for now. My daughter just moved into new skates and we went with MK Pro blades since she was in them last year and they have worked very well for her. A lot of kids at her rink use the same blade and like it a lot. Definately talk to her coach. Good luck.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 08:49:08 PM »
Not yet on the boots,  we'll be going in the summer, hope her foot holds out!  It's good to know that I won't be passing up a deal by not getting the blades.  Maybe when she does need them there will be another deal!

Offline scootie12

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
    • My Skating Videos
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
I would pass on the 99's.  I use them, but land all of my doubles and am working back on triples again.  They are really meant for a higher level skating, and I know from currently using them that they might cause some issues for your daughter.  One of the main reasons is the rocker.  The beginner blades have a rocker designed for beginner jumps, spins, etc.  The 99's are for skaters doing advanced jumps and spins, and is really meant for better control on those type of manuevers.  Although she would get used to using the blades, I think she'd benefit from the lower-level blades that are designed for her skating skills.

Also, a good point was made that they are cheap at this moment because you were lucky enought to find a used pair, but if they aren't really needed at this point, then you will end up with a much more expensive bill for new equipment down the road.  I think most places retail 99's for around $450.

Hope that helps in your decision process.
My Skating Practice Channel On YouTube:
www.youtube.com/scootie12

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 08:08:03 PM »
Thanks! that was very detailed and I totally understand it!!!  I'm making progress