You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What is an "Ice Plant?"  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
What is an "Ice Plant?"
« on: August 07, 2011, 11:24:52 AM »
One of the rinks near me is reopening next weekend and among the renovations they listed was "new ice plant."

What exactly is the "ice plant?" 
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: What is an "Ice Plant?"
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 11:38:42 AM »
The machinery that maintains the ice in the arena, i.e. the cooling and freezing system.  Does that make sense? It's like physical plant in a building ... which is the boiler, furnace, heating system, airconditioning etc etc etc.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »
Yep, makes sense. 

I wasn't sure if it was everything you listed, or just the refrigerant system.  I thought their ice was good the last time I was there, so I'm surprised they would replace all that equipment.   Nice to know they've made that much of an investment in the plant and facility.  That means they're not turning it into a Home Depot anytime soon! 

The original owners (personal/financial problems) tried to keep the rink open until the bank could find new owners, but the bank decided to shut down abruptly several weeks early.  We've had temps in the 90's and 100's for two months.  That must have been a boon for the renovation because the ice was completely gone when the new owners started work.  They took it down to the ground - all new boards and boxes, too.  I'll bet they laid a nice, solid sheet last week.  Now, I really want to go to the grand opening, even though I don't usually skate or coach there.

I hope this place does well:  they have the land to be able to add a second building/sheet of ice.  (My current one-sheet rink is land-locked. :( )  If they made that much of an investment, perhaps they build in expansion capabilities.

I can dream, right?
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 01:32:09 PM »
I know there's been an update in refrigerants used in rinks recently so that they're more "green". This would probably mean replacing the compressors which are the main bit of kit needed for keeping the refrigerant flowing under the ice. Having new compressors is a great sign though, as they're not cheap so that's a good investment to have put in.