You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating in Colorado Springs & Denver  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
Skating in Colorado Springs & Denver
« on: October 19, 2015, 03:48:32 PM »
Hello,

I am going on vacation to Colorado Springs area this Christmas. 

Of course, I am DYING to skate out there.   I looked at the Broadmoor's website, but couldn't find freestyle ice schedules.    I am practicing for Adult Silver, and it would be just great to say that I skated once at the Broadmoor.  Even better if I had a lesson too.   I'm sure I could drive one of their coaches crazy with my three turn patterns.    Do they allow drop-ins?  Or, is it just for the national level skaters?   

There's two other rinks in Colorado Springs - Seritech and Honnen (both have freestyles listed on their website). Both of these rinks are very hard to find coach information. 

I am not sure how much time I will spend in Denver because my brother's place is closest to Colorado Springs.  But, I bet we will go there for a day because my husband's employer has a big office there and he is going to be "working" on this vacation.

Anyone have good ideas on skating in Colorado Springs or coaches who would entertain having a half-hour blast with an adult with some good and bad habits, but coming from 11 feet above sea level?

I'm going to be near Vail too.   Perhaps I should skate an hour at Dobson?  This is going to be soooo much fun!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Skating in Colorado Springs & Denver
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 04:58:17 PM »
The Figure Skating Museum is out there. Don't forget to drop in!

I used to live in Colorado Springs. The altitude will wipe you out even if you're just walking around.
I can tell you stories of people standing in the middle of the road to take picture of deer and being completely oblivious of traffic.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline icepixie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 16
    • My skating entries at Dreamwidth
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 10:28:57 PM »
I'm from about 500 feet above sea level and I skated in Denver when I was there on vacation this past spring.  It was just on a public session with some friends.  I think the rink was called Big Bear, or Bear's Den, something like that.  I did get out of breath a little faster, but other than that the altitude didn't affect me much.  I did feel like my jumps were a bit springier, but I'm pretty sure that was my imagination.

The altitude didn't affect me on the rink, anyway.  Let's not discuss the day we attempted to go skiing and I ended up going downhill in a sled pulled by the nice ski patrol man after collapsing in a wheezing heap from altitude sickness--before I even got to try going down the mountain on skis, no less.

:nvm:

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 09:38:39 PM »
Adult mids is in Colorado Springs this year - I'm honestly worried about the altitude!  I wish I could get out there to experience it before competition time. 

But I would love, love to skate at the amazing training centers and famous rinks in Colorado for fun.  What history!

Offline sparkleskates

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
  • Getting back out there!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 01:09:09 PM »
I am from  Denver,I can point you in the direction of ice close to where  you will be if you are in the Metro area. As for the Springs, I used to hit up publics at Honnen, but it's  been  a decade since  I graduated college and I was exclusively on hockey skates at the time, but I remember  the ice being  laid nicely.  Take it slow though, altitude is a cruel being. :)

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 09:41:19 PM »
There's also the rink in Monument where Jason Brown and all Kori Ade'a other students skate. It's a little north of Colorado Springs and not a fancy place, but the community there was nice. I also don't know if the rink at the Air Force Academy has sessions open to the public regularly, but you can look into it. Maybe look into doing a lesson with Ryan Jahnke if you're working on moves. He has some of the most gorgeous edges and he likes working with adults.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 09:45:53 AM »
Air Force Academy Schedule: http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/icerink/

I used to work there and I didn't even know they had a rink (maybe they didn't at the time). Anyway, can't help you find it.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/