You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: thoughts while skating?  (Read 3398 times)

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
thoughts while skating?
« on: August 23, 2011, 10:01:57 PM »
I didn't know where else to post this, so might as well make a new thread! I want to know what you're thinking when you're out there. What thoughts help you land a jump or do a smooth program? Is it technique or is it more along the lines of "just do it!"? i landed my axel while thinking about not crashing into the skater whizzing past me. technique didn't even cross my mind! so i want to know: when you're nervous or excited, what do you think about?

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: thoughts while skating?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 01:05:56 AM »
I get really frustrated when working on a single thing and trying to perfect it, say, a spin. and when I get frustrated, I stop for a moment, breathe, and then try to picture myself doing whatever move it is perfectly. my coach taught be this and it really does help sometimes. also, when getting frustrated with something, I will sometimes stop and think 'ok, it's a new day, new attitude, starting over.' my coach is working on me with being positive and proactive about my skating instead of critical and negative :) and it really helps!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 07:29:14 AM »
I think about what comes next in my program, but I think common advice is to think in the moment, not ahead.

And this makes zero sense but singing what would Brian boitano do helps me get my backspin - I think it is because it distracts me.
When I did waltz-8 I sang Old McDonald had a farm to get the timing right (turn on FARM, OH!, Chickens!, change foot on OH!)

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 09:19:51 AM »
I'm terrible and will often think about what I'm going to have to eat after I skate.

In competition I will sometimes notice people in the audience and think of them, during one skate at a nationals I spent a greater part of the program trying to figure out how much of the program was left--I had noticed the timer timing our music--I never figured it out. :)  Usually I'm thinking about food though.  :)

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:24:21 AM »
Skating is actually my time to NOT think. My coach can always tell when I'm thinking because I can't do whatever I'm supposed to do. Obviously I think a little bit (like "Don't hit that small child") but for the most part my best skating happens when I let go. I need a fairly empty session that doesn't have our skaters that are landing doubles to get some stuff done. A lot of our skaters don't know how to skate freestyle, they treat it as "I can skate better than you thus you gotta move". Every now and then they come to their senses and they rarely purposely get in my way, but I'm also getting a little more assertive out there, especially with the ones that don't know what they're doing. It's days like that I have the biggest problem letting go and not thinking because I am too focused on making sure I don't take out the 8 year old doing an axel in my lesson area, over and over and over again...

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 11:36:02 AM »
I think about how crowded it is, or if it's an empty session and I see people in the lobby I pretend I am skating to impress them (which I usually skate better when I do that).  I think "I like 7 Up" on my 2S entry because it makes the timing right.  In axel set up I think about bringing my arms and leg thru.  Often times I think about how sweaty I am and how I wish I could take off my tank and skate in a sports bra (it stays about 65 degrees in my rink).  I also think about how sore my hips are.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 12:12:46 PM »
I think about how crowded it is, or if it's an empty session and I see people in the lobby I pretend I am skating to impress them (which I usually skate better when I do that).

I second that lol. Though I try to not think about people in the stands watching (unless it's a cute guy!). It's resulted in people coming up to me and saying "I enjoy watching you skate".

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »
i totally agree about thinking about people watching you. sometimes that helps, sometimes not. i tried that today with my 2sal but didn't land it. i thought about 102395823 different things to help me land my 2sal, but i kept putting my damn left foot down!

Offline KillianL

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 09:45:04 PM »
The less I let my brain in on my skating, the better, as I tend to focus on unproductive things ("gosh I wish those parents weren't watching me) and because I am my own worst critic.  Even when I am doing well, it's something like "I guess that sit spin was OK" or "that could still be better."  So these days I allow myself to think through steps in elements, but nothing more.  I do my best skating during crowded publics where there isn't time to think - only time to react. 

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 09:27:35 PM »
o wow! I used to not think of much (except "don't fall" on back 3-turns) but more & more lately it's "you could be studying/doing homework instead of skating" which suxxxx.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline Qarol

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 9
    • edges and footwork
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 11:57:28 AM »
Skating is my escape. I'm usually not thinking about anything other than the move I'm working on right then. All other cares about the rest of the world go away. With one exception...I get really nervous if I think someone's watching me. I really shouldn't b/c most likely, they're not watching me. But I sometimes feel a bit self conscious because I'm not in the best shape, yet I'm wearing leggings and a tank top. That certainly doesn't hide a lot of my body flaws. Thankfully, in the early mornings, my rink is usually dead. But sometimes, people will be sitting in the bleachers, just watching. And I don't want anyone to watch me.  :blush:
If you're not falling, you're not working hard enough...

http://hydroblading.blogspot.com/

Offline Laneybug7

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 25
  • Unicorns and glitter:P
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 12:55:07 PM »
Last session, I found myself singing on the ice..to whatever song was playing, I think it was Gaga or some song I must have liked.  Turns out when I focus more on the music or something else, my axel and double attempts are really really good.  Also, like a previous poster, if there are people in the lobby or maybe a skater I've never seen before, I try to impress them as well..especially a cute guy.   Once we had several guys in camoflague watching our session...so I tried really hard NOT do fall or do anything clumsy.  Near the end of the session when I'm doing conditioning..I tend to think 'okay few more minutes and I can finally eat' or 'think of how many calories I've worked off already'.  But I tend to sing in my head when I'm spinning..not sure why, but I just do. Sometimes it's my programme music to make sure that the timing is working out, other times it's just some random song.  Did I mention that I love music and the right song can change the entire course of my practice? :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 01:00:30 PM »
Last session, I found myself singing on the ice..to whatever song was playing, I think it was Gaga or some song I must have liked.  Turns out when I focus more on the music or something else, my axel and double attempts are really really good.  Also, like a previous poster, if there are people in the lobby or maybe a skater I've never seen before, I try to impress them as well..especially a cute guy.   Once we had several guys in camoflague watching our session...so I tried really hard NOT do fall or do anything clumsy.  Near the end of the session when I'm doing conditioning..I tend to think 'okay few more minutes and I can finally eat' or 'think of how many calories I've worked off already'.  But I tend to sing in my head when I'm spinning..not sure why, but I just do. Sometimes it's my programme music to make sure that the timing is working out, other times it's just some random song.  Did I mention that I love music and the right song can change the entire course of my practice? :)

When you sing it places your upper body in the correct position for physical activity. When I used to ride I would sing Gilbert and Sullivan to do the same thing. It also got the horse used to distractions and helped get them ready for shows.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 07:50:56 AM »
hmmm, my thoughts while skating:

workharderworkharderworkharderworkharder

nuts it's cold today

workharderworkharderworkharderworkharder

ouch

workharderworkharderworkharderworkharder...
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!