You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: French ice federation boss Didier Gailhaguet resigns  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
French ice federation boss Didier Gailhaguet resigns
« on: February 08, 2020, 11:05:56 AM »
It looks to be a case of sexual aggression done by coaches under his watch. He was also involved in the judging scandal in Salt Lake, for which he was suspended from 2004-2007.

https://tinyurl.com/swnloth
Bill Schneider

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Re: French ice federation boss Didier Gailhaguet resigns
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 11:26:56 AM »
This has been a mess and the sole subject of discussion at my rink.  Yes, the female pairs skater of the national champions from the ....early 90's???... just published a book where she accuses her then coach of inappropriate sexual advances.  This apparently was completely covered up by M. Gaillaghuet and his cronies at the time.  It is very reminiscent of the recent US Gymnastics scandal with that Dr inappropriately touching the girls.  Gaillhaguet was also involved in the Salt Lake Olympics judging corruption, and took a break as president of the FFSG (Fédération Francais des Sports de Glace) for a few years, I believe as a result.  But these recent allegations have been an institutional disaster.  The French Secretary for Sports called him in for a personal meeting on Monday where she asked him to resign.  He's insisted no wrongdoing and has been absolutely steadfast about staying on as President.  It has highlighted the power of Gailhaguet and the authoritarianism within the FFSG.  I am SO glad to hear that he's finally stepped down.