You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Risport RF2  (Read 3168 times)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Risport RF2
« on: October 17, 2015, 07:53:40 PM »
I have been skating in Jackson Elite boots with Legacy blades for three years.  I am thinking about getting Risport RF2 USD $425.00 and MK Pro USD $196.00.  I like the price.  What do you think about the durability of these skates? 

My current set has been more durable than the Jackson Freestyles with Aspire blades that I had before - they needed more frequent sharpening, were too soft, and I ripped out an eyelet.  I weigh 180 pounds and like to push hard.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Risport RF2
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 08:43:29 PM »
Dear God: four years ago I swear I bought a pair of MK Pros for $80. With inflation like that I'm going to starve to death when I retire.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 10:44:34 PM »
I have been skating in Jackson Elite boots with Legacy blades for three years.  I am thinking about getting Risport RF2 USD $425.00 and MK Pro USD $196.00.  I like the price.  What do you think about the durability of these skates? 

My current set has been more durable than the Jackson Freestyles with Aspire blades that I had before - they needed more frequent sharpening, were too soft, and I ripped out an eyelet.  I weigh 180 pounds and like to push hard.

I had the exact same Jacksons and a very similar set up with Risports.  I'm female but whatevs.  This is obviously anecdotal, too.  I got way more bang for my buck out of the Jacksons.  Have been wearing them twice as long as I wore my RF3's and they're still not breaking down.  All of my Jackson boots have lasted a pretty good length of time when I compare them to the two pairs of Risports I've had over the years.  Jackson has more padding, too, if that's something you like.  That said, I did like my Risport skates.  Jackson were more cost effective though - both at the time of purchase and over time because they lasted longer.  As for the blades, when I had MK I liked them quite a bit.  My ultima blades are comparable though.  It's mostly personal choice though.  This is just what I like.  I skate with a few others who use Risport exclusively and have had them forever.  I wouldn't call them skaters who are tough on boots though.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 10:10:44 AM »
I too had the same Jacksons with the MK Pro blades, then with the Ultima Legacy blades. I preferred the Ultima Legacy, but that really is down to personal choice. If you're thinking about costs the Legacies went at least 50% longer between sharpenings, so you quickly recover the additional cost  of the Legacy by having fewer sharpenings.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 12:26:34 PM »
I skated on Pros for years.  They're great blades.  But bear in mind they're a 7" rocker as opposed to your legacy's (8") so they'll feel a little wobbly.

Boots.  I've never skated in Jacksons, but I do skate in Risports.  IF they fit your feet, they're good boots.  I'm in the dance model, which is low cut and has a stiffness rating of 65, for whatever that's worth.  I'm very hard on my skates, and despite a 25 year hiatus had these creased and comfortable in one or maybe two sessions tops (back in the day, I could break in a pair of Riedell Royals in 1 session, and kill them at the end of the year....I was jumping then though).

These boots are in their third season.  I'm only doing dance and synchro, and only skate hard 1 hour/week.  At my current level of skating, I reckon I can get a fourth, and maybe even a fifth season out of them, if I can take it (they don't fit very well).  If Risport fit me better, or were available in split widths I'd absolutely consider getting another pair.

Agnes: I'm pretty sure my parents never paid $80 for Professionals!  That was back in the 80's.....you got a sweet deal on those blades.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 12:51:54 PM »

Agnes: I'm pretty sure my parents never paid $80 for Professionals!  That was back in the 80's.....you got a sweet deal on those blades.

Maybe they accidentally left the 1 off from in front of the 80 when they manually rang it up.  That seems like a solution doesn't it?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 01:09:58 PM »
If Risport fit me better, or were available in split widths I'd absolutely consider getting another pair.

I was told they are available in split widths from stock.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 07:48:30 PM »
I got them.  They are working out pretty well after adjusting the mount and punching in the area where my previous boots injured my foot.

Risport RF2 PP01080 Size 28.5 Width C
PP01080285211051653
LOT 9100-2012-06676-A

I think I was told they were split width, but best I can tell that is not the case.  They are clearly designed to clamp the foot down in the boot effectively, something my Jacksons were lacking.

Offline Loops

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 04:24:27 AM »
I was told they are available in split widths from stock.

I'll have to investigate this.  Problem is so far no French skate dealer has even heard of "split width".  The French just don't seem nearly as occupied with skate fit near as I can tell.  Most of the other adults at my rink actually skate in boots that are clearly too big.  The few that don't seem far more willing to suffer pain than I am.  Maybe I'm a wuss.

Offline Loops

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 04:28:23 AM »
I got them.  They are working out pretty well after adjusting the mount and punching in the area where my previous boots injured my foot.

Risport RF2 PP01080 Size 28.5 Width C
PP01080285211051653
LOT 9100-2012-06676-A

I think I was told they were split width, but best I can tell that is not the case.  They are clearly designed to clamp the foot down in the boot effectively, something my Jacksons were lacking.

Mine (dance model from 3-4 years ago) are deffo not split.  The dance is only available in a C width which is relatively narrow.  It fits my (Jackson AA) heel well, but was uber tight over the ball of my foot (measured to Jackson C).  Even after punching out over the area they still hurt, but are much better with my unconventional lacing.

Curious to see how the RF2 work for you!!!!  Glad its going well so far.