You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Edea Sizing Help!  (Read 8722 times)

Offline _wonderland

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
Edea Sizing Help!
« on: December 15, 2016, 05:50:28 PM »
Hi friends.

Does anyone know approximate sizing information and/or if this particular brand run small or large or wide or narrow? I know best case scenario is to send in a foot tracing or use the sizing device that Edea provide .. however, I'm looking at a pair of used boots on eBay that might be the right size for a literal steal. Such a good deal, in fact, that I may take the risk and try them regardless.

Any personal experience/help would enormously appreciated!!  :love:

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Re: Edea Sizing Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 07:11:35 PM »
Kinzies Closet has some useful information about different brands and sizing which may help.

Offline _wonderland

• Under the Edge
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 07:24:38 PM »
Kinzies Closet has some useful information about different brands and sizing which may help.

I did check there, thank you! According to the charts, these boots may just work for me. They don't have charts for Edea, but I've been in Risports in the past, and as they're both Italian brands, they may be pretty similar. I didn't want to go on assumptions though. But again, they are such a bargain that even if they don't work, I'd not be out that much in reality. I feel that it might be worth the try.  :blush:

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 08:13:07 PM »
If you are able to measure your feet your self in millimeters, you can find out for sure. Something to note is that if your foot measures 241mm, a size 240 won't work. On the other hand, if your foot is a 241 or what ever, a 250mm is technically too big. You don't want to go over 5mm in size.

As far as width goes, they are a standard C width, which fits most people. If you have wide feet, like me, or narrow feet, then they would need to be reshaped by "an authorized dealer". not any Edea boots can be oven heated. It will ruin them.

If they are Ice Fly's or something, you can always resell them, if they don't work out. Ice Fly's are a big seller on Ebay, for the rite price.

Offline _wonderland

• Under the Edge
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 10:24:59 PM »
If you are able to measure your feet your self in millimeters, you can find out for sure. Something to note is that if your foot measures 241mm, a size 240 won't work. On the other hand, if your foot is a 241 or what ever, a 250mm is technically too big. You don't want to go over 5mm in size.

As far as width goes, they are a standard C width, which fits most people. If you have wide feet, like me, or narrow feet, then they would need to be reshaped by "an authorized dealer". not any Edea boots can be oven heated. It will ruin them.

If they are Ice Fly's or something, you can always resell them, if they don't work out. Ice Fly's are a big seller on Ebay, for the rite price.

They are Ice Flys and the size is 255mm. I wore a 25.5 (cm) in Risports, and I just measured my foot again and as well as I can do it myself, I'm fairly certain that I'm measuring right on the nose. This is super exciting, I never considered Edea before now in my quest for new boots due to the price. 

Offline _wonderland

• Under the Edge
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 07:28:04 AM »
I ended up making an offer this morning. SO here's to hoping the sizing is right! If not, I'll most likely lost them to sell again on this board. Thanks for the advice!

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 09:23:12 AM »
The best way to measure, is to put a ruler on the floor against the wall and stand on the ruler, with you heel just touching the wall and then see where your big toe ends up on the ruler. Then if you used a standard ruler, just google the measurement and convert it to mm's. Measure both feet and go with the biggest foot. :0)
I hope it all works out for you. Do you have wide or narrow feet, or average width? If average, then you are all set, but if they are wide or narrow, you may have to have them reshaped (assuming the boots are a standard C width.)

Offline _wonderland

• Under the Edge
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 10:58:34 AM »
The best way to measure, is to put a ruler on the floor against the wall and stand on the ruler, with you heel just touching the wall and then see where your big toe ends up on the ruler. Then if you used a standard ruler, just google the measurement and convert it to mm's. Measure both feet and go with the biggest foot. :0)
I hope it all works out for you. Do you have wide or narrow feet, or average width? If average, then you are all set, but if they are wide or narrow, you may have to have them reshaped (assuming the boots are a standard C width.)

I'm assuming the boots are a standard C, as a width was not given in the listing. I have narrower heels and average toes, so I'm hoping for the best. I'll make a trip up somewhere to an Edea dealing pro shop to have them mounted and will check the sizing with the fitter there. I'm not too worried about it, like I said .. if they don't end up working out, reselling them shouldn't be too difficult.  :laugh:

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 10:21:21 PM »
How exciting!  Just wanted to say that a random eBay sighting was how I got my very first pair of"real" skates,  and I did the same thing as you,  measuring and reading up online.  According to Kenzie's closet I thought they should fit perfectly, length and width,  but I also felt that the price was so good I was willing to take the risk.  It paid off, I ended up with upper level new Riedell boots attached to basic,  but also new blades for $100 and an extra $20 for shipping.  After a year I am still so in love with my eBay boots, I am actually having new blades mounted this weekend, I hope to go a few more years in the boots. I how you get as lucky and find your "destiny eBay boots" as well.

Offline _wonderland

• Under the Edge
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 09:31:07 AM »
How exciting!  Just wanted to say that a random eBay sighting was how I got my very first pair of"real" skates,  and I did the same thing as you,  measuring and reading up online.  According to Kenzie's closet I thought they should fit perfectly, length and width,  but I also felt that the price was so good I was willing to take the risk.  It paid off, I ended up with upper level new Riedell boots attached to basic,  but also new blades for $100 and an extra $20 for shipping.  After a year I am still so in love with my eBay boots, I am actually having new blades mounted this weekend, I hope to go a few more years in the boots. I how you get as lucky and find your "destiny eBay boots" as well.

That's great!! I hope I end up with a similar situation. Now that they're bought and paid for, I'll share the price ... they were listed at $175 and the description said "structurally sound." They look a bit beat up, but for what I'm going to use them for, I thought I'd risk it. $175 seems low for boots like this unless somethings really wrong with them, but it's not like I need them to carry me through triples. I don't and probably will never do triples.  :P As is it now, I'm coming back to skating as an adult (27) from being a semi-serious skater (Intermediate) as a child and teen. I will eventually probably attempt to get back to where I was (and potentially compete in Adult), which means axel through double flip, but not right at first. The priority at first will be fitness! So I feel like even if these Ice Flys are significantly worn, knowing how the boot is structured, I'm fairly certain that they will be good enough to get me back on the ice and back skating decently. Here's to hoping anyway! I skated last night in rentals at the outdoor pop-up rink in the downtown village area of my town and ... I'll take worn down Edea's ANY DAY over those!  :sweat

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 10:46:20 AM »
Awesomeness! As far as the way they look, you can just order shoe paint or something. Regular shoe polish won't work. My first Ice Fly's, were pretty rough. I did get them looking better though before I resold them. I am happy that I got my current Ice Fly's to fit fairly well now. I am going to try them this next Monday.
Just to bear in mind, that they can get some getting used to. The heel is a bit higher than a regular skate, which will tend to make you more forward on your blades. The plus side is, that it will help insure good posture (which I am working on in general). Because if you are a bit more forward than you should be, you very well can catch the dreaded toe pick and we all know what's next. Lol
The other thing is, to make sure the blades aren't badly worn and the spin rocker is not flattened. When you get them, just stand them upright on a good flat surface and measure the distance from the flat surface to the bottom toe pick (drag pick). From what I have seen in general, at least 1/4" is a good thing. However, the Ice Fly's I got, have dance blades and they have actually quite an aggressive toe pick and normal width of a free skate blade, but, even though they are new blades, the toe pick is kind of low. I may end up replacing them. There is not much room for error.
Just so you know, the waiting for them to come in the mail, will drive you nuts! Lol When I got mine, I was like a kid on Christmas morning. Lol

Good luck and keep us all posted. :0)

Offline _wonderland

• Under the Edge
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 09:08:12 AM »
THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO ARRIVE TODAY!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 10:57:11 PM »
Yay! I hope they work for you. :0)

Offline _wonderland

• Under the Edge
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 12:37:43 AM »
They did not arrive today.  :'(

Offline _wonderland

• Under the Edge
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 12:25:52 PM »
UPDATE:

THEY ARRIVED!!! I am over-the-moon excited to report that as far as I can tell from just shoving my foot in there, they are a perfect fit. AND, they feel stiff as a rock, so my worry that they were priced so low because they were totally broken down has lifted as well.

NOW I just need to get them mounted and sharpened. That's something I'm not looking forward to because it means a 5+ hour drive to a place that knows what's up. But it'll be worth it when I get on the ice!!!

GUYS I'M SO HAPPY and I feel like I got extraordinarily lucky with this find!  :angel: :love:

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 10:59:50 PM »
UPDATE:

THEY ARRIVED!!! I am over-the-moon excited to report that as far as I can tell from just shoving my foot in there, they are a perfect fit. AND, they feel stiff as a rock, so my worry that they were priced so low because they were totally broken down has lifted as well.

NOW I just need to get them mounted and sharpened. That's something I'm not looking forward to because it means a 5+ hour drive to a place that knows what's up. But it'll be worth it when I get on the ice!!!

GUYS I'M SO HAPPY and I feel like I got extraordinarily lucky with this find!  :angel: :love:

I am so happy for you!  I dunno how many other people feel like this but I love to look at my skates, care for them, admire them. It takes me back to being a little girl and being so excited when I got my very own white skates that were so beautiful compared to the ugly brown rentals that my rink had at the time (1970s). I am still very influenced by those styles at that time,  I love white skates on women,  love to show them off (no over the boot tights for me during performances), they are just so much part of the magic of skating.  Congrats!

Offline Backtotheice

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 11:18:05 AM »

I am so happy for you!  I dunno how many other people feel like this but I love to look at my skates, care for them, admire them. It takes me back to being a little girl and being so excited when I got my very own white skates that were so beautiful compared to the ugly brown rentals that my rink had at the time (1970s). I am still very influenced by those styles at that time,  I love white skates on women,  love to show them off (no over the boot tights for me during performances), they are just so much part of the magic of skating.  Congrats!

SAME here! My skates are a prized possession - I think they are so pretty! I also love the classic look of white skates.

Offline _wonderland

• Under the Edge
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 03:07:56 PM »
If I ever have my own brand new pair of Edeas, I think I'd be afraid to skate in them! The novelty of beautiful boots hasn't even worn off, not since I was a little girl. My mom used to make me skate with those hideous lycra covers on to keep them from getting scuffed and nicked when I was young. Because of that, over-the-boot tights and stuff always drove me crazy! I want my skates to show!! They're beautiful by nature, if when the boots themselves have seen better days. At least to me!  :love:

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 10:36:43 PM »
I was told that Edea used "European last" shapes - i.e., quite thin for a given length, and close to the same width across heel, toe and midfoot regions. In that respect they were similar to many "Italian shoes". However, since that time, Edea has added multiple width choices, though I don't think you can independently specify heel, toe and midfoot widths, as you can with many other brands.

But Edea distributors and other fitters frequently make major changes to the shape of Edea boots (and other brand boots, for that matter) to try to match a customer's feet, at least in the regions above the insole - using techniques that differ from those that work for other brands - so it doesn't necessarily follow that future sets Edea boots, even if they are the same size in length and width, will fit you without similar expert modification.

But for now, so many people have such disastrous experiences with boot fit that it is wonderful to hear from someone who has a good experience.

Happy skating!

Offline _wonderland

• Under the Edge
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 09:04:31 AM »
I was told that Edea used "European last" shapes - i.e., quite thin for a given length, and close to the same width across heel, toe and midfoot regions. In that respect they were similar to many "Italian shoes". However, since that time, Edea has added multiple width choices, though I don't think you can independently specify heel, toe and midfoot widths, as you can with many other brands.

But Edea distributors and other fitters frequently make major changes to the shape of Edea boots (and other brand boots, for that matter) to try to match a customer's feet, at least in the regions above the insole - using techniques that differ from those that work for other brands - so it doesn't necessarily follow that future sets Edea boots, even if they are the same size in length and width, will fit you without similar expert modification.

But for now, so many people have such disastrous experiences with boot fit that it is wonderful to hear from someone who has a good experience.

Happy skating!

thank you! To be fair, I haven't skated in them yet - all I've done is put my foot in and lace them up. In that respect, they seem to be perfect, but as we all well know, that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be great on the ice. Next step is to find somewhere reputable to get them mounted and the blades sharpened, and THEN I can be sure or not.

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2016, 09:47:17 AM »
Awesome that your have your Ice Fly's! Just know that the lacing is a bit different from a traditional boot, from what I understand. Here is a link for that.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMd3EpUSFcY

I LOVE my Ice Fly's. They were white and I would have looked silly in them, so I gave them a lil make over. I hated having to do it, because they are in such good condition. I admit, that they are my prize possession and kind of a necessity do to my feet issue and so on.

I love the way the feel and more control. I had to do some heat adjusting to get them to fit though. Lol Now I just need to get the blade alignment correct. Make sure that whoever mounts the blades, knows how to mount blades to Edea boots. My local skate shop, try's to mount the blades, going by the actual soul and with Edea's, you go by the highest point of the boot at the toe and lowest point of the boot, at the heel.

Offline _wonderland

• Under the Edge
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 09:11:26 AM »
I'm going to see someone who works directly (through the phone?) with the guys up in Indy at SkatesUS. So hopefully, that means they know what's up. It's a 5.5 hour drive to get mounted, sharpened, and checked for fitting .. but SO worth it.  :sweat

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 06:31:43 PM »
Awesome! You will be Ice Flying around the rink like I am. I LOVE my Ice Fly's. :0)