You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: The revolution blades  (Read 2829 times)

Offline 4d10s

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
The revolution blades
« on: March 28, 2016, 09:35:33 AM »
I google around about this revolution blade, some said the runner was glued on the plate. Is that true? will it hold??

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: The revolution blades
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 07:08:48 PM »
Here is a picture from the manufacturer's website:

http://www.worldsbestblades.com/products/gold-seal-rev

I don't know if there are glues, but it looks like there are rivets involved (too?). The carbon fiber frame (I think I have that right) is probably held together by a plastic resin (like epoxy, polyester and vinyl ester), which some would consider a glue.

Ultima's top end Matrix II blades are held together by a combination of glue and rivets. Paramount blades (though I've seen a couple that broke) are held together by glue alone.

Glue strength and durability varies by glue and conditions, and how it is used.

I have no experience with Revolution blades. But some people on this forum love them. Many of the world's best figure skaters use them in top competitions. That is partly because MK/Wilson/HD gave a bunch away to top skaters and coaches, and perhaps they sponsored a few athletes to use them (I'm not sure.), but top competitive athletes would probably stop using them if they didn't work reasonably well.

If you go to the top of the forum,

http://skatingforums.com

and search for "Revolution" you will see a LOT of posts.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 10:17:45 AM »
I've HEARD (and it was from someone who isn't that knowledgable about the sport but likes to act like he is....) that Paramount is going to start using rivets. But their glue is super industrial strength. I've only heard of one pair of blades by them breaking, and it was a kid that throws crazy triples.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 11:23:27 AM »
From what I've heard, relatively few people have figure skating blades break - and they are almost all doing split jumps (which create a lot of lateral force if your feet don't get together again enough before you land) or various high level jumps - where an under or over rotated jump can again create a lot of lateral force. I don't know whether the original poster does split jumps or high level jumps.

Of course, the biggest benefit of the weight saved and the claimed reduction in impact force (due to the flexibility of carbon fiber) of Revolution blades may be for people doing high level jumps. If the original poster doesn't plan on them, do you think Revolution blades be expensive overkill?

If Paramount blades get rivets, they would look almost exactly like Ultima Matrix II blades. I think their main selling point has been that they were several grams lighter (not a lot), approximately the weight of those rivets. Though, now that I think of it, it is possible that Ultima uses stainless steel screws or bolts instead of rivets - but they are glued in place. Do you think Paramount is a big enough name to compete with Ultima without that minor weight advantage?

(In my older Matrix I model blades, Ultima used bolts, which weren't glued in place, but of a much softer material, which were problematical for various reasons, and I re-tighten them once/month or so. I still think their relatively cheap interchangeable runners were the right way to go, even if Ultima's bolts had problems.)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 12:04:44 PM »
I've HEARD (and it was from someone who isn't that knowledgable about the sport but likes to act like he is....) that Paramount is going to start using rivets. But their glue is super industrial strength. I've only heard of one pair of blades by them breaking, and it was a kid that throws crazy triples.

They already use roll pins in their cheaper blades... my daughter's Paramount CA's have them.  Those are also glued.

That's what it looks like the revolutions use as well.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 02:27:21 PM »
They already use roll pins in their cheaper blades... my daughter's Paramount CA's have them.  Those are also glued.

That's what it looks like the revolutions use as well.

I assumed rivets too quickly. Do you happen to have a close up that shows there are roll pins on the MK/Wilson/HD Revolutions, or have another source of info? The pictures that I have found are detailed enough to see whether they are actually rivets, screws, bolts, or pins.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 03:24:02 PM »
Not of the revolutions, no, but I can confirm for sure that's what the Paramounts use.  Because there's no visible "head" as with a rivet or screw, I would presume the revolutions use something similar.  If I see someone at my rink with revolutions that have those holes, I'll see if I can stop them and ask to look.