You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: SP-Teri vs. Jackson sizes?  (Read 4710 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
SP-Teri vs. Jackson sizes?
« on: July 02, 2014, 08:14:14 AM »
Hello everyone! Has anyone here changed boots from SP-Teri to Jacksons or vice versa? How do the sizes compare?

For example, if you're in a size 7 in Jacksons, did you also get a size 7 in SP-Teris?

Thanks!

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
Re: SP-Teri vs. Jackson sizes?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:58:37 AM »
I wore a size 8.5 C in Jackson and had to wear thick socks with them. I now where an SP-Teri 9.5 B with A heel. Or actually, as SP-Teri calls them, A width with B ball. (A BB) I can wear these with tights.

ETA: BTW, I wear a size 9.5 (and sometimes 10) street shoe, so it seems to me that SP-Teri is closer to street shoe sizing. That info may not help you much if you don't know your US shoe size, but just thought I'd add the info ;)
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 10:14:54 AM »
Tired on a 5.5 C in Jacksons ( but decided not to get them) I was afraid that the fitter who I was using had no clue and was afraid of switching.

However, I wear a 6.5C  Sp-Teris. Keep in mind that if you are use to Sp-Teris (specially old ones) that the new ones have a slightly different last, which too me does not fit as well as the old last
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 08:47:44 AM »
Interesting...for the same size, Jacksons seem to be larger. How old are your SP-Teris, PhysicsonIce and alejeather?

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
I got my new ones at the beginning of this year.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 06:00:16 PM »
What size do you wear in street shoes?  I haven't worn Jacksons, but my street shoe size is (women's) 7-1/2 and my SP Teri boot size is 6-1/2.  My foot length (standing on both feet with a measuring tape under one of them) is between 24cm and 24.5 cm (which is actually my Japanese shoe size).

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:32:47 PM »
I can go anywhere from size 5-6 in street shoes. I'm a size 4 in the Jackson stick, but the SP-Teri fitter also sized me at size 4 based on the stick (must be SP-Teri's). I found this weird because I heard from the SP-Teri fitter that my Jacksons (currently too big at size 5) actually is a size 5.5 or 6 in the SP-Teri scale...so I thought I might ask here in this forum. I just ordered new skates from Jackson and am really apprehensive about it...crossing my fingers that it fits well.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 11:45:23 AM »
I can go anywhere from size 5-6 in street shoes. I'm a size 4 in the Jackson stick, but the SP-Teri fitter also sized me at size 4 based on the stick (must be SP-Teri's). I found this weird because I heard from the SP-Teri fitter that my Jacksons (currently too big at size 5) actually is a size 5.5 or 6 in the SP-Teri scale...so I thought I might ask here in this forum. I just ordered new skates from Jackson and am really apprehensive about it...crossing my fingers that it fits well.

This sounds kind of consistent with my experience. My size 8.5 Jacksons were a bit roomy and my size 9.5 SP Teris fit much more closely.

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 3
  • live, breathe, eat figure skating
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 11:49:23 AM »

This sounds kind of consistent with my experience. My size 8.5 Jacksons were a bit roomy and my size 9.5 SP Teris fit much more closely.

Do you think that the size translation is for everyone, including boys?

Ripping the ice all day!

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 11:57:29 AM »
Do you think that the size translation is for everyone, including boys?

I wouldn't recommend just translating your size like that, because it depends on how your skates fit you, and on other features of your feet and the last. I'm only providing it as a data point, so that if someone found it odd that they were measured for an SP Teri in a size larger than they wear in Jackson, I'm only adding that it came out the same for me and worked out well. It's just folk wisdom, not a sizing rule.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 02:03:47 PM »
I don't think it applies equally to everyone.. I wore a 6.5 in Jackson, I fit a 6.5 in old stock SP Teri's (those weren't a good match for my heel shape though, but that's regardless of the size of the boot, I simply needed a "deeper" heel cup), and I'm currently skating in a pair of custom Harlicks that were made to a 6.5 for my right foot, and a 6.75 for my left, and I feel like the left has just a bit too much room at the toes - though I'm not exactly convinced that boot is too large, it's just that it feels much different than I am used to, considering that it is my larger foot and I have tended to size my boots so my right foot felt secure, it meant an extra snug fit in the toes for my left... now it is probably more of a normal fit, but since it's not what I'm used to it feels weird.  I probably would have been fine in a 6.5 for both feet and not felt like the left was too short.

Bottom line though, it's important to figure out what works for YOUR feet - what works someone else's sizing experience may not apply to you.  We all have different feet - the shape of the toes, width of the foot, overall volume of the foot contribute a lot to how we perceive a boot to fit.  Even how a fitter prefers to fit can have an impact... especially if you have a fitter who is used to working with growing feet and makes recommendations accordingly, while you are well past the age where that is really a concern and absolutely don't need any "extra" room.

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 3
  • live, breathe, eat figure skating
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 07:04:50 PM »
Definitely good to know lol

Ripping the ice all day!