You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Time for new skates... need advice!  (Read 3502 times)

Offline icesk8r725

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Time for new skates... need advice!
« on: May 02, 2013, 10:25:46 PM »
Going to visit my pro shop this weekend, just wanted to get some advice.  I currently have riedell 2010s.  While I haven't had any real problems with them, not sure if I should try something new at this point.  I have a lot of trouble reaching the back stantion... it seems like it might be easier to do this with a lower heel height? Woud sp teri's be good for this? 

I know that it all depends on the skater, just trying to get a few opinions :)

Thanks!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Time for new skates... need advice!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 12:21:03 AM »
The important considerations before giving advice are the sort of skating you do and what you weigh.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 01:03:56 AM »
I can't really say what to buy... different things work for different people... but as someone who recently purchased a couple poopy pairs of skates and had to replace them, I can give you some shopping advice.

If you have a good pro shop, just go and try on EVERYTHING.  Even if you like your skates, there's always others you might like more.  Ask lots of questions.  Talk their ear off.  Make sure they understand your level and amount of skating.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 07:34:22 AM »
I will assume that you're doing doubles and triples as a freeskater since the 2010's are a freeskate boot.  As someone else pointed out, you should wear the right boots.

Finding the spot on the heel for turns is typically more of a skate/blade fitting issue than any particular make or model.  If your heel is pulling up, the heel cup is too big for your foot.  You can order a split-width boot from most manufacturers.  Your boots' padding may have compressed, causing the heels to be a little loose.  Some skate techs do rebuilds - ask if you want to save some money.

Having too-long boots and blades can also cause this problem, depending on where your foot sits inside that skate.  Most fitters mount the blade with the front against the front edge of the boot sole, so the forward rocker is positioned correctly.  However, if the blade is too long, the heel stanchion will be too far back to be useful.  ie. instead of turning a back bracket under the middle/heel of your foot, you have to really pick up and turn on the back of your heel.

Don't confuse the blade length/stanchion position with the length of the blade's tail.  Some blades have longer tails behind the back stanchion, it varies by model.

I can understand your wanting new boots, just make sure to get measured properly.

Our fitter told me that SP-Teri fit more like Jacksons than Riedells, when you compare the fit for the same-size boots.  I think that's only in the wider forefoot because the Jackson heel cup was uncomfortable for me, whereas the SP-Teri heel cup fit more like my Klingbeil boots.

I wonder if the backstrap height would affect finding the stanchion?  It makes pointing the free foot more difficult in Ice Dance, which is why dancers wear boots with the backs cut lower.  I don't think that boots themselves would make backward turns any harder or easier...
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline icesk8r725

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »
oops forgot to include my skating level. When I bought my skates,  I was working on (and landing many) double jumps. Since then I had surgery, a few little injuries, and life got in the way- so my skating hours went WAAY down.  At first I was on the ice for 10+ hours a week, nowadays I'm lucky that it is 1.  I am working on my adult gold tests now.  The boots are about 5 years old (again, lasted this long because there were many months when I wasn't or was barely skating) and definitely need replacing because they are very twisted due to blade placement issues/adjustments. 

I am thinking that the heel cup is too big for me, particularly on my right foot.  I also think that my right skate in general is just too big in the ankle area.  I use a bunga pad and tie them MUCH tighter than the left.  Then again, my left boot is very tight, almost seeming too tight at times. 

At this point I am thinking of probably the same boot (or a model lower in the series). My main concern is that I don't think I could have a boot with a back that is cut higher. I remember my skate fitter telling me that he could measure me and order different widths on the boots.  I've never had to break riedells in, which is also a plus.  I just have so many 'issues' that I was thinking a different brand may work better or at least be an option to consider (which I never have before surprisingly).  I trust my fitter completely, but he seemed on the phone to think that a less stiff boot would not work for me, which I think may be part of the problem.  I always want more flexibility in the ankle area but of course am told that they would break down really fast. I will see when I go this weekend!

Thank you everyone for your advice  :)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »
My right foot is a 1/4" shorter than my left one, and also a little more narrow.  I was advised to buy stock skates that fit my right foot because it's my landing foot and get the left boot stretched/punched out for comfort. 

Since you're just getting back into skating, i would suggest getting a Riedell one step down in stiffness.  This will make the break-in period easier.  If the skates break down, you won't feel obligated to keep them because of the price.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »
If your 2010's are 5 years old, Riedell has done some improvements since then, so the current 2010 may be a bit different. If you switch to a different boot, you'll be adjusting to a different heel height (possibly) and a different "cant" in the boot. It takes a while to do that. I'd try on the 2010's and see if they are comfortable; Riedell also offers split widths, and will do a semi-custom split for not a lot of money. I think they'll also do a dance back-stay etc - I've been told that they'll do pretty much whatever you want (at a range of prices of course !  88)

Riedell also has the LS series boots with the padded "back" - but, they do fit differently, and not everybody is comfortable with them but it might help with our high back concern.

I'm curious though - how old are your blades? If they're of the same age... then they must be due for replacement, too? A new boot type plus new blades will be a transition for you.

Offline icesk8r725

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 10:10:31 AM »
My blades are 2-3 years old... I can't remember exactly.  They were not skated on for at least 6 months out of that time period.  My blades are going to be positioned completely different on these boots, so it will be an adjustment anyway.  Price is a huge issue for me, but if I need them, I want to get them so they will fit! :)

Offline icesk8r725

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 10:14:41 AM »
My right foot is a 1/4" shorter than my left one, and also a little more narrow.  I was advised to buy stock skates that fit my right foot because it's my landing foot and get the left boot stretched/punched out for comfort. 

Since you're just getting back into skating, i would suggest getting a Riedell one step down in stiffness.  This will make the break-in period easier.  If the skates break down, you won't feel obligated to keep them because of the price.

Getting a stock boot that fits my right foot would probably make the most sense, but since I have perpetually had problems with my left foot, I'd probably want to take care of that first.  Semi-custom is probably the way to go. 

I am thinking going down one step in stiffness seems like a good idea to me, but makes me nervous because of my weight definitely isn't "light".  Breaking boots in has never been a problem for me (well, besides jacksons but that was a long time ago)

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 01:01:21 PM »

At this point I am thinking of probably the same boot (or a model lower in the series). My main concern is that I don't think I could have a boot with a back that is cut higher. I remember my skate fitter telling me that he could measure me and order different widths on the boots.  I've never had to break riedells in, which is also a plus.  I just have so many 'issues' that I was thinking a different brand may work better or at least be an option to consider (which I never have before surprisingly).  I trust my fitter completely, but he seemed on the phone to think that a less stiff boot would not work for me, which I think may be part of the problem.  I always want more flexibility in the ankle area but of course am told that they would break down really fast. I will see when I go this weekend!

Thank you everyone for your advice  :)

I am on my second pair of Riedell 2010LS boots - love them. I tried on the 1310s at my skate guys and creased them with one knee bend. If you are working on/landing many doubles, I think a level down from the 2010s would be too light for you - I am working on axel/beginning doubles and Junior MIF/Silver dance. I wear the split width - B ball, A heel which was no extra charge. I do have to get the heel padding replaced before the boots break down - but my skate guy only charges $25 to repad the heel. I love the lower cut back and extra padding. My last pair lasted 2.5 years of serious skating. Going on 1.5 with these and hoping for at least the same!

Offline HannahLouise

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 04:57:59 AM »
I'm not saying this is the same for you because everyone is different but...

I absolutely loved my Riedells. Never had to break them in! There was nothing that compared to them and I swore I'd never change brands.

Until the guy at the skate shop made me try on Jacksons. They are perfect. They are so comfy from the heat moulding and took hardly any time (two laps to be precise) to get used to. I'm not saying Jacksons are the skates for you, but try some other brands and see what feels comfortable for you. You should know as soon as you try them on if they're the skate for you or not.

My Jacksons have a back cut that is much higher than the Riedells and I feel better supported- so maybe that's something you can look into.

Hope you find a new pair of skates soon,

Happy skating!