You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Jackson Finesse Dance Boots--A Review  (Read 4514 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Jackson Finesse Dance Boots--A Review
« on: January 29, 2012, 07:11:59 AM »
This is in response to an earlier thread about dance boots, which I can no longer find even with the search function.

Jackson Finesse Dance Boots--

So I've skated three hours in these boots. Bottom line up front: They're not just a freestyle boot with a cutout at the back and a shorter shaft, they're a completely different boot.

Jackson says they're less stiff than Competitors, but my Competitors are 5 years old, and in comparison the Finesse feel like concrete blocks at this point. That's new boot feel, so I don't feel able to compare stiffness.  The Finesse have a higher arch built in the boot than my Competitors. The first half hour on the ice is a misery, then the pain fades. I credit this to new boot stiffness. I hope it goes away. The forefeet part of the boot feels fine. The heel is heavily padded and I don't need to wear my silipos tube to get the boots to fit in the heel. Sadly, Skittl tells me these pads will probably break down with wear.

Boot design: The shaft is lower and scoops down in the back. The boot has a padded collar so it's sort of like putting on a padded vice grip. The leg part of the dance boots is thicker than my freestyle boots due to the padding. On the other hand, the boots really fit well  in the foot.

Tying the boots: I had to completely change the way I tie my boots. I used the method recommended by the skater's landing video below, even down to the part of going back down the hooks after I reach the top.  It works really well, but I can see I'll need extra laces. I think the up to the top then down to the ankle will stress the laces more than how I tied my freestyle boots (still using original laces since I don't stress them with jumps)

The Ugh factor: The cutout in the back has a fabric collar to it. Man, that fabric burns when it rubs on the back of your ankle. I now have to wear silipos tubes on my ankles.

On the other hand: I do have better toe point and extension. The knee bend is there as well.

I didn't feel comfortable in the boots until about the third hour I skated in them. It's a new experience and even though the new blade was only a 1/4 inch longer than the same model on my freestyle boots I had to spend some time adjusting to that.

I was a little concerned when I bought these boots that I was buying them for my vanity (I'm an ICE DANCER! I have ICE DANCE boots!b 88)) . Based on the reaction from my dance coach, I made the right decision. He's very pleased with my improvement in skating.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Jackson Finesse Dance Boots--A Review
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:08:54 AM »
I think Aussieskater has cured her ankle rub by taping over the join of the fabric collar to the leather. I've just stuck to gel tubes so haven't tested this.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
Re: Jackson Finesse Dance Boots--A Review
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 09:40:07 PM »
I think Aussieskater has cured her ankle rub by taping over the join of the fabric collar to the leather. I've just stuck to gel tubes so haven't tested this.

Yep, unfortunately Jackson doesn't do a good job joining the leather to the elastic at the back of the ankle, so I used a small piece of white Duck Tape (heavy fabric tape) over the join.  It worked a treat instantly.  No need for ankle socks for that bit any more.