You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: When should I change skates?  (Read 4367 times)

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
When should I change skates?
« on: July 20, 2011, 10:17:03 PM »
My coach and I were talking about skates today, and she told me that my current skates might be giving me trouble on the ice.
So my question is, when should I change skates - and to what skate? I think most of the girls at my rink use Jackson Freestyle...but don't quote me on that :P
I currently use the Jackson Artiste. Right now, I am working on scratch spins, and today I was just introduced to the Slachow. Other jumps I'm working on are Waltz ad Toeloop.
How much longer will my current skates last me? And what skate should I switch to, in the future, and when?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: When should I change skates?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 10:44:52 PM »
Step 1: Ask your coach ... she will give you guidance. 
Step 2: Ask for a referral to a good boot fitter.
Step 3: Go see good boot fitter ...

Nobody can tell you what boot you should be wearing except for a good fitter and a good coach; without seeing your feet, your build, and your skating style, etc. A good fitter is worth your time and money. Once you find a brand that works for you, then, stick with it - and if it's not the same one that everybody else wears at the rink, then, that's just fine if it works for you.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 11:03:33 PM »
ditto what sk8mum said.
Artistes are the lowest level skate Jackson makes that could be called a figure skate (softechs don't count). They have the least stiffness. I don't know if yours came with a blade but it's a nice beginner's blade.  I believe these are skates designed to get you through Basic 8 and not much further. Jackson rates them for support at 25. I'm doing dance in Classique's and they're rated at 45 . It's not until you get up to the Competitor and Freestyle level (Jackson rates their stiffness as 55) that you see Jackson talk about jumps.
It sounds like your coach is being very tactful and giving you good advice.

I have had good luck with Jackson's, and a lot of people here on the board have been happy with them too, but  it's all about you, your goals, and your skills. Double Ditto Sk8mum's advice to go with what goes best for you, not what other girls skate in.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 11:16:22 PM »
Thanks guys! :) Only problem with where I am located is...there is no proshop that sell figure skates, so I got my Artistes fitted in Seattle (200 miles away) at Highland Ice Arena, so I would probably end up traveling over there again to get fitted (perfect excuse for a mini vacation, no?) I kind of wonder how the other girls at the rink, and the girls in other clubs in my area, get their skates...

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 11:24:57 PM »
I kind of wonder how the other girls at the rink, and the girls in other clubs in my area, get their skates...

Ask, maybe you end up carpooling with someone?

I'm guessing you'll skip the classique and go straight to freestyle, but certainly ask the coach and the fitter. Maybe brands other than Jackson fit you better. Good luck!

BTW my personal experience:
Recreational skates until bunny hops (ISI delta)
Jackson classique until toeloop (ISI FS3)
Jackson competitor to present (ISI FS5)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:42:57 AM »
I kind of wonder how the other girls at the rink, and the girls in other clubs in my area, get their skates...

Ask them :)  Or ask your coach if she has a good recommendation.   There are often fitters who work out of their home - that's the best source for boots where I am, and not just if you are looking at top of the line - a good fitter won't oversell a boot, they'll put the skater in what they need.  So you don't necessarily need to be looking for a "pro shop", just a really good fitter.

Typically skates should last you more than 3-4 months.  I had cautioned you a while back on the thread you started when you bought your current skates that they might not be supportive enough for you... it seems as though you have advanced quite a bit since then, and that may be true.  It's a fine line though, because if you had bought higher level boots back then, they might have been too much and they could have prevented the progress you've made. 

If Jacksons do work well for your feet, Freestyle's in the correct size would be the next logical step (you can measure your own feet to get a ballpark idea of what size you may need - there are charts online).  Obviously there is more to it than that, but if your feet measure at an A width you wouldn't expect to end up C width skates for example (and vise-versa!). 

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 12:23:14 PM »
I would recommend an excellent boot fitter- Vicki Zander, she is from OR, but travels to Seattle almost every week.  Her phone # is (503) 329-5180.  She fits a lot of skaters in the area.  I would not trust anyone else but her with my sharpenings as well!   And, from personal experience, she WILL make sure that the boots are well-fitting and comfortable. 
Irene

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 01:14:28 PM »
I would recommend an excellent boot fitter- Vicki Zander, she is from OR, but travels to Seattle almost every week.  Her phone # is (503) 329-5180.  She fits a lot of skaters in the area.  I would not trust anyone else but her with my sharpenings as well!   And, from personal experience, she WILL make sure that the boots are well-fitting and comfortable. 
Irene
Vicki is WONDERFUL and very knowledgeable.  She's almost as colorful as Don Klingbeil. ;)

I believe she is the only official Klingbeil rep/fitter in the US.  There are a lot of good fitters, but she represents the company at events.  I've talked to her several times at PSA Conferences and she's really sharp and funny.

Vicki ordered my replacement insoles for my Klingbeils and that helped quite a bit with my issues, until the left skate padding went.  The sizing of my right boot is still a problem, so I have to take them back for Don to look at in person.  Vicki said they might need to be relasted/rebuilt, so I bought a pair of Jackson Competitors to break in now so I can continue to coach while the Klings are in the shop. 

Good suggestion.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jenniturtle

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 03:43:14 PM »
my daughter started skating 1 1/2 years ago with a $50.00 pair of skates I bought off of the internet. I just ordered her a new pair because she broke a rivet and had almost outgrown them anyway. I asked her coach to recommend some that would last her a while. Well was I shocked to pay $400.00. We got Riedell 91ls with Jubilee blades. She should be finished with all freeskate levels by the end of the year but I'm hopeful these will last for a while!

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 04:45:50 PM »
my daughter started skating 1 1/2 years ago with a $50.00 pair of skates I bought off of the internet. I just ordered her a new pair because she broke a rivet and had almost outgrown them anyway. I asked her coach to recommend some that would last her a while. Well was I shocked to pay $400.00. We got Riedell 91ls with Jubilee blades. She should be finished with all freeskate levels by the end of the year but I'm hopeful these will last for a while!

If it helps my first pair of real skates were $50 used ones, then we had to upgrade and I got riedell's with majestic blades that lasted me from when I was 14 until this year when I was 23. Granted I took a few years off but they still have a lot of life in them.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 04:48:07 PM »
My third pair of skates cost $50- Jackson competitor with Gold Seal blades.

If you have common for skaters sized feets, good deals can be had.  Just ask around!

(My current pair cost almost $600.  EEK)