You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Christmas Gifts and Coaches  (Read 13691 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Christmas Gifts and Coaches
« on: October 29, 2011, 11:43:29 PM »
What do you give your coach(es) for the holidays (male/female)?  What price range do you stick with?  If you also take group lessons do you give those coaches a gift?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Christmas Gifts and Coaches
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 11:58:23 PM »
I give my coach a cash gift of two week's lessons. In a nice card.
I've read elsewhere that one week is the norm.

I have a male coach 30 years younger than I am. I figure he'll be happier with cash. Although booze might be acceptable.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 12:36:50 AM »
I gave my coach a Starbucks card for Xmas last year bc we do morning lessons and she always brings coffee.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 12:52:53 AM »
If you also take group lessons do you give those coaches a gift?

Yes, if I befriend and highly respect the group lesson coach. Small list so far as my group lessons tend to have the same coaches. Not cash gifts though, something cute along with card.

I've always wondered about considerate coaching-related small gifts. Anyone used these adorable HEART SHAPE reusable hand warmer / heat pack? Reactivate by immersing in boiling water or (for some models) microwave!!

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 01:01:00 AM »
I'm in LTS, I just stick to a card... for each coach I skate with or used to be with & still have a personal connection to. It doesn't break the bank & doesn't bring up those questions on price or suitability...

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 09:40:47 AM »
My rink changes LTS coaches every session. I don't gift them. A card is a nice gesture. Or maybe homemade cookies she/he can share.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 09:52:06 AM »
I always get my coach a gift, thermal mugs (with skaters on) are popular, have given them to a couple of different coaches (I'm friends with a few). Also foot pampering stuff since they spend so long in skates. Both private coaches i've had have been obsessed with skating, so happy with any skating related stuff. it sounds odd, but some coaches aren't obsessed with everything figure skating related, so might get bored of the same stuff.

Because we're friends, I'd never give cash. Maybe a voucher, but i prefer to chose something myself.

And I know anything kids have made is extra special!

I'm currently staying with a friend who's a coach, and every day she seems to get given something or other! YEsterday it was halloween skeleton gloves, donuts and a toffee apple!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 10:07:44 AM »
From my side of the fence:

Group lessons - a card or note is wonderful, especially if it's a bit sentimental.  I still carry a Valentine's Day card hand-drawn for me by a group lesson student several years ago.  It was unexpected and very sweet.

Coffee Mugs - Make sure the mug can fit on the rink wall.  Some are very tall and top-heavy, so they get knocked over very easily.  (A student gave me a beautiful Thermos-brand mug.  I had to mop up four times during that first day of use.)

Gift Cards - I was going to say to make sure your recipient likes the chain, but I guess there's something for everyone at most places, right?  I don't like Starbucks' coffee (Dunkin' Donuts is my fav) but I do like Starbucks' bakery items. 

My DDs' coach is selfless: she spends our cash gifts on my kids.  I know she likes soups, so I think that will be part of our gift this year.

Other nice gifts I've received in the past:
. Boxed candies or homemade cookies/treats.
. Bottle of wine, that we served to guests at Christmas.  I also used it for cooking on New Year's Eve since we don't drink.
. Framed photos of my students or DDs from shows and competitions.
. Warm fleece gloves to match my coaching jacket.
. Monogrammed/"#1 Coach" skate drying towels.
. Ornaments or trinkets with penguins or skaters or penguins skating on them.
. Amazon gift card because I buy a lot of training DVDs, tools, etc. to assist my skaters.

...along those lines, gift subscriptions to sk8strong.com, icoachskating.com, icenetwork.com, or skatepsa.com/PSA-TV would probably be appreciated, if the coach is of the mind to use them.

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 10:15:36 AM »
I think it helps to know your coach's situation. My coach has a second job. Many coaches do. I might give a small gift, but if someone is trying to keep body and soul together, a bonus is good.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 05:28:08 PM »
I've always done top shelf booze for college age coaches, but my new one is only 20. He shows up with Starbucks all the time, so I guess gift card, but I'm not even sure where a starbucks is...

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 09:00:34 PM »
My rink changes LTS coaches every session. I don't gift them. A card is a nice gesture. Or maybe homemade cookies she/he can share.

I've had only 3 coaches in my soon to be 5 terms of LTS, the same people tend to continue to coach on that same day but they tend to move around on the levels a bit (except the top group who usually get the same coach). LOL it doesn't have to be Xmas for the food to come out - my brother did some baking recently and posted it on FB, joke from the coach (who he's friends with on FB) that he had to bring some down to the rink, so a month or so later when he made the next batch of muffins, a few were saved and brought along to the lesson :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 10:25:40 PM »
Alright I did it. Portable voice amplifier is Coach's early Christmas gift, hope it makes the last group number rehearsal. I felt terrible when he had to raise voice BADLY because students could not hear him from 5 feet away. I think it will benefit the lessons in general too IF he decides to use it. Any coach out there used amplifiers on ice?

Offline LilJen

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 56
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 06:25:15 PM »
Gift cards. Both my coaches are Starbucks fans; plus I figure a gift card that's enough for a nice dinner out or a treat for oneself (Bath and Body Works, for example [both my coaches are women]). Or an iTunes card if your coach likes that. Or the prepaid Visa card that can be used anywhere.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 06:39:59 PM »
Alright I did it. Portable voice amplifier is Coach's early Christmas gift, hope it makes the last group number rehearsal. I felt terrible when he had to raise voice BADLY because students could not hear him from 5 feet away. I think it will benefit the lessons in general too IF he decides to use it. Any coach out there used amplifiers on ice?
once, for a gag gift, we got the rink director a bullhorn (think Sue Sylvester from Glee)...it was HILARIOUS!!! She used it during parades. She never had to use it for show practices-when the crowd was quiet, she would talk softer. If you missed something it was your fault.

I've no idea what to get my coach (new coach) for a gift. She is young and very classy. I like the iTunes gift card idea.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 06:27:12 AM »
I remember getting worked up about this last year - it was my first skating Christmas and I'd only been with my coach two months, and I didn't know what the protocol was. (This is the sort of thing that those "figure skating 101" guides DON'T mention.)

In the end I vowed I'd never get her chocolate - simply because it seemed that every other student was giving her chocolate! I got her a foot-pampering set instead, my logic being that she spent a large proportion of her day on her feet wearing skates. She loved it.

(I did break the chocolate vow this year - on the first anniversary of my first lesson. I gave her a box for what I called my "skating-versary"!)

Now I'm under the pump - how can I match last year's gift?  ;D
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 04:27:47 AM »
The year before we left the UK (where we already had an inkling we'd be leaving) both coaches got cross stitched pictures of their favourite skaters (information husband teased from them months earlier). That was because we really appreciated all they'd done for us, and wanted to do something special. Normally, however, we do cards and chocolates, or something else small.

As I worked on them for months, may as well show them off...

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 08:10:14 AM »
Wow. Those are amazing.

In the end, this year I went with Starbucks gift card and an appliqued skate blade towel... Has an ice skate and his name. Wish I took a picture.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »
Those are REALLY amazing.  You did beautiful work!

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 04:35:55 PM »
Wow. Those are amazing.

In the end, this year I went with Starbucks gift card and an appliqued skate blade towel... Has an ice skate and his name. Wish I took a picture.

I gave coach a walloping big bonus as a thank you for getting me through Dutch Waltz. For  Christmas, I'm getting him a Starbucks card in a christmas card. Being a guy, he'll throw the christmas card away. It won't make it out of the locker room. Men, no sense of tradition.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 04:46:06 PM »
I'm embroidering (with dd) skate towels for her coaches.  They are getting gift cards as well, but we discovered the microfiber towels and love them and thought they should have one.  They really do get skates dry faster!

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 01:52:37 PM »
Oh my god, those cross stitch pictures are AMAZING!!!! Where on earth did you get the pattern?

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 07:29:43 PM »
Oh my god, those cross stitch pictures are AMAZING!!!! Where on earth did you get the pattern?
I used computer software that translates photos into cross stitch charts. You enter the dimensions/thread count that you need, and which brand of embroidery floss you wish to use, upload the photo, and it creates the pattern and tells you the thread colours.

And thanks for everyone's kind words as well!

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 06:26:05 AM »
I ended up getting my coach two tubs of body butter - a special moisturising one, one lavender, one rose petal with vitamin E. She loved them. She likes creams and things. Jackpot!  :D
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 02:41:06 PM »
I got my son's learn to skate coaches chocolates.  I'll get them something at the end of the session too.  I used to teach and I always liked getting gifts (well I do in general) but if certainly makes you feel appreciated when you get anything, even a chocolate bar or coffee.

For our synchro coach we started a tradition of skipping Christmas and getting something big at the end of the year.  I took up a collection last year and got a ton for our coach so I know she likes candy and chocolate so I got a big gift basket of that and then a Visa cheque card and a gift certificate for a store I know she loves.  We also had enough money to get her mom a cowbell to ring at competitions.  :)

Really any recognition is thoughtful and appreciated I think.  I've noticed at the club where we skate we were the only family giving gifts.  Could be because I've been there, done that and I do kind of know the skating coaches but as I said it's nice just to know you are appreciated.