You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Teaching preschoolers about ice skating  (Read 1770 times)

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
Teaching preschoolers about ice skating
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:36:28 PM »
My daughter (age 4) is having an exercise-themed lesson next week at her preschool. The teacher asked me to come in and talk to them for 20-30 minutes about figure skating.

Any ideas on what to tell them at this age? I will be in a class with twenty 4-5 year olds.
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Re: Teaching preschoolers about ice skating
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 09:42:02 PM »
Is video an option?  I think showing them a little bit of skating (maybe a range, from beginner to Olympic!) would go a long way.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 11:01:06 PM »
You could read to them if you could find an appropriate book about skating.  I know they're out there, but don't know how easily you could find one.  Library, maybe?

Preschoolers often do well with gross motor activities - perhaps lead them through some balance exercises, like standing on one foot?  Teach them how to fall properly?

Definitely bring skates and show them the blades!  Maybe hockey skates, too?

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 01:22:20 AM »
I like the interactive balance type thing.  Maybe trying a spiral position?

For books maybe one of Kristi Yamaguchi's.  http://kristiyamaguchi.com/products
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 01:24:02 AM »
You could read to them if you could find an appropriate book about skating.  I know they're out there, but don't know how easily you could find one.  Library, maybe?

Preschoolers often do well with gross motor activities - perhaps lead them through some balance exercises, like standing on one foot?  Teach them how to fall properly?

Definitely bring skates and show them the blades!  Maybe hockey skates, too?

For the book idea, search on Amazon, you'll easily find them.

I like the idea of the balance exercises. I'd try the stand on one foot and then if they're coping (and even if they're not), then to shut their eyes. That will bring on lots of giggles when they all start falling down! Perhaps they can all try to do a spiral? (Snap rd350!)

Bring a competition dress for them all to admire. I'm sure sparkly things go down well at that age.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 08:57:58 AM »
Falling down and getting up correctly is fun for pre-schoolers.  I would start by asking them what they know about ice - it's cold, it's hard, it's slippery, etc.  Point out that it's hard to walk on but that there are special shoes built just for moving on ice - and that when you learn how to use them, you can go really fast and do things on the ice that are harder to do on the ground.  Then show them skates.  Let them try on skates (maybe get a couple small sizes from rink rental) and take turns trying to stand in them.  Then do the fall down- get up, stand on one foot, hop, etc stuff to keep them moving and giggling.  Jump and try to turn around once in air (most can't do it.Finally see if you can show a video of a group lesson or a Basic Skills competition(USFS might have something) or read a book about skating. Show them a medal.   Try to make sure that whatever you do includes boys and isn't focused only on the pretty glittery girly aspects.  Emphasize the fun and the athletics and the health benefits.