You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating Guide  (Read 2648 times)

Offline skater_princess

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 1
Skating Guide
« on: July 30, 2011, 12:04:54 PM »
* This Is My Post From www.skatingforum.co.uk *

So i was looking around to see if anyone has published a guide/book for skaters to use which includes techniques! I was surprised when i couldnt find what i was looking for, so I came to the conclusion that i will make one for myself 

I have no idea what to include or anything!! Help!

P.S if anyone actually knows where i could find a guide/book please post

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
Re: Skating Guide
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 01:15:27 PM »
Are you looking for a how to type of book? There are several "How to Skate guide books" available. Just check Amazon. Here is a few of the 1000+ results I found.

Ice Skating: Steps to Success [Paperback]
Karin Kunzle-Watson (Author), Stephen DeArmond (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Skating-Success-Karin-Kunzle-Watson/dp/0873226690

Figure Skating: Championship Techniques (Sports Illustrated Winners Circle Books) [Paperback]
John Misha Petkevich (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Skating-Championship-Techniques-Illustrated/dp/1568000707/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312045928&sr=1-7

Figure Skating School [Paperback]
Peter Morrissey (Author), James Young (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Skating-School-Peter-Morrissey/dp/155209166X/ref=sr_1_14?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312045993&sr=1-14

Kids' Book Of Figure Skating: Skills, Strategies, And Techniques [Paperback]
Rikki Samuels (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Book-Figure-Skating-Strategies/dp/0806526017/ref=sr_1_16?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312046060&sr=1-16

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 04:23:53 PM »
my uncle got me the sports illustrated one for my birthday one year and i really liked it! but i lost it a while ago...lawl

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 06:24:10 PM »
http://rcskating.wikispaces.com/Links

It's the links page of our rink's wiki site, includes information shared on this forum and FSU over the years.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 11:54:18 AM »
I think Carole Schulman's book "The Complete Guide to Figure Skating" is a current and accurate guide book for figure skating.  You can buy used copies for a song.  (I frequently lend them to my students.)

Our local libraries each have a copy in stock.  Before you buy anything, see if you can reserve and take a look at the book beforehand.

Bookstores don't always carry figure skating books in stock, but they will order them upon request.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 10:31:01 AM »
I use the book by Kunzle-Watson and Shulman.

Kunzle-Watson is by far the MOST informative book for beginning skaters. It gives very detailed drawings on how to perform moves, from stroking and crossovers to turns and edges.

However, when I got to FS1, I found Samuels' book more useful than it was before, because it also discusses moves like spirals, waltz jumps, and simple spins.

Shulman's book is a nice reference for jumps and spins, but not for beginner moves. It has a lot of typos, though: the words "left" and "right", "counterclockwise" and "clockwise", etc, are sometimes interchanged!

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 09:42:10 PM »
My mom bought me the book: Figure Skating: Championship Techniques by John Misha Petkevich, listed above when I was a kid and first started skating and I think its really excellent out of all the most popular how to guides for figure skating; it has info on everything from falling and getting up, to stroking and crossovers, to freestyle elements such as spins and jumps.  I'd definitely recommend this one:)  I still use it!