You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

On the Ice > The Pro Shop

Pro-Filer Redirects to Wissota

(1/13) > >>

tstop4me:
For those who use the Pro-Filer hand skate sharpener, here's an interesting development.  If you enter "pro-filer.com" in your browser, you get redirected to:  https://wissota.com/product-category/edge-specialties/, the Wissota website.  It lists the boot punch, HDI gauge, and rocker bars by Edge Specialties (company that manufactured the Pro-Filer), but not the Pro-Filer.  I'm not in need of a replacement unit, and I was just checking for any updates.  But if you are in need of a replacement, or were considering buying a new unit, you should probably get in touch with Wissota pronto to see what's happening.

Bill_S:
Curious. Probably not a good sign for fans of hand sharpening.

I hope that I'm wrong and that Wissota picks up the hand sharpeners for distribution, but it doesn't sound good.

FigureSpins:
I don't think it's redirecting ... the domain was transferred on 10/18/2021.  Maybe their domain ownership period expired and Wissota bought the domain before Edge Specialties realized it had expired.  I think they can reclaim it, if they act quickly.

https://www.whois.com/whois/pro-filer.com

I have a Pro-Filer and this was the contact info from my order:

Edge Specialties  Inc.
320 815 3338
pro-filer@charter.net

Query:
Eeks!

I hope Edge Specialties comes back. Perhaps someone here should give them a call, and see if they are still around.

Oh well - I have often thought that someone should compete with Pro-Filer, by bringing back a modernized version of the old Berghman sharpener, which, IMO, were better, except for the stone quality.

The good news is that, even if it turns out Pro-Filer is dead, last I checked, there were number of alternate providers of abrasive cylinders (even some with diamond grit), that would fit in the Pro-Filer.

Things to search for on search engines:

abrasive round stone
    drum sander, sanding sleeve
    sanding drum
    cylindrical stone
    abrasive cylinder

or, in less durable materials,
    abrasive sleeve
    spiral band

or, originally for use in a drill or similar tool, if you could make them fit:
    mandril
    mandrel