You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: National Showcase Questions  (Read 1974 times)

Offline sk8tergirl

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 0
National Showcase Questions
« on: April 05, 2015, 09:00:09 AM »
Showcase looks like a really fun event. I did look under the Showcase tab on the USFS site, but I am still confused about a few things....

1. Are doubles allowed and, if so, at what level (for adults)? Also, are the rules the same for National Showcase (the annual competition that you qualify for that is held once a year) and the local showcase events? It doesn't seem so. Some of the local events seem to allow doubles while I'm pretty sure that the National Event is limited to axel-type jumps and below, (but I'm not sure), since this skater is doing doubles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdXPAOE9q_k

2. Is it ok to "die" on the ice at the end of a dramatic showcase program? I know that since the 1990s there has been a rule in singles that the skater can't lay prone on the ice, (apparently, because nearly all of the skaters were "dying" on the ice).  :laugh: But, for showcase, this is still allowed, right?

Any answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks.  :)

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
Re: National Showcase Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 10:04:56 PM »

1. Are doubles allowed and, if so, at what level (for adults)? Also, are the rules the same for National Showcase (the annual competition that you qualify for that is held once a year) and the local showcase events? It doesn't seem so. Some of the local events seem to allow doubles while I'm pretty sure that the National Event is limited to axel-type jumps and below, (but I'm not sure), since this skater is doing doubles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdXPAOE9q_k

2. Is it ok to "die" on the ice at the end of a dramatic showcase program? I know that since the 1990s there has been a rule in singles that the skater can't lay prone on the ice, (apparently, because nearly all of the skaters were "dying" on the ice).  :laugh: But, for showcase, this is still allowed, right?

1: My experience has been the opposite, many local competitions offer "artistic" and "showcase" instead of "Light Entertainment" and "Dramatic Interpretive" and jumps are limited to axel/below for all levels. Whereas the competitions that offer "Light" and "Dramatic" tend to follow the National Showcase rules and permit doubles. http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/2014-15%20Nonqualifying%20Showcase%20Guidelines.pdf

2: Permitted in artistic/dramatic/entertainment/showcase programs and seems to be a major trend this year. At least 75% of the skaters at my rink finish laying on the ice in their artistic/etc programs.

Offline sk8tergirl

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 04:16:18 PM »
So.... Artistic usually doesn't permit doubles. Local events sometimes don't allow them, but the National Showcase Event  does allow doubles. Oops! Had it backwards. :blush: And I can "die" on the ice in Artistic/Showcase events, (but not FS). Got it! Thanks!   :)

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 07:28:55 AM »
 I really wish we had this kind of event in Belgium.....  :'(
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 03:25:49 PM »
1: My experience has been the opposite, many local competitions offer "artistic" and "showcase" instead of "Light Entertainment" and "Dramatic Interpretive" and jumps are limited to axel/below for all levels. Whereas the competitions that offer "Light" and "Dramatic" tend to follow the National Showcase rules and permit doubles. http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/2014-15%20Nonqualifying%20Showcase%20Guidelines.pdf

2: Permitted in artistic/dramatic/entertainment/showcase programs and seems to be a major trend this year. At least 75% of the skaters at my rink finish laying on the ice in their artistic/etc programs.

But now that USFSA has decreed that all interpretive events fall under the Showcase rules, the clubs should be using Showcase rules for their "artistic" competitions as well (assuming they are held by USFSA sanctioned skating clubs).