You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: 8-Mate / Scribe Marker Attachment  (Read 2713 times)

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
8-Mate / Scribe Marker Attachment
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:06:29 AM »
A related question is: does anyone know of a source for the "8-mate" clamp (used to be made by Nick Perna) that converts a scribe from a scratch awl to one which can hold a water-proof sharpie pen?  Yes, yes, you can cobble together a Rube Goldberg kinda thing with hose clamps and rubber bands but a purpose-built clamp that doesn't allow the pen to wobble is a nice touch.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: 8-Mate / Scribe Marker Attachment
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 01:33:53 PM »
If you search the forums here for 'scribe' you'll see people have reported them on ebay from time to time. There are still people who want them since there is still a figure competition once a year. Somewhere between $20-50 depending on condition and desperation of the purchaser. If it has the holder on the end for a Marker, that makes it worth a little more.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 03:06:24 PM »
If you search the forums here for 'scribe' you'll see people have reported them on ebay from time to time. There are still people who want them since there is still a figure competition once a year. Somewhere between $20-50 depending on condition and desperation of the purchaser. If it has the holder on the end for a Marker, that makes it worth a little more.

Wow, you can put a marker on them now?  We just etched the tracing deeper with our heel.  Marker is a more efficient idea.  Do you happen to know what kind?...as in Sharpie or just regular?  (none of our coaches here draw on the ice.....)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 04:19:07 PM »
Wow, you can put a marker on them now?  We just etched the tracing deeper with our heel.  Marker is a more efficient idea.  Do you happen to know what kind?...as in Sharpie or just regular?  (none of our coaches here draw on the ice.....)

It was made by Nick Perna back in the 80s(?). Anyway, don't know about the marker size or type. Sometimes you find scribes with them on the end instead of a point.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 12:20:18 PM »

Apparently, you can just duct-tape a marker on the business end of the scribe and it works fine.  Nick Perna, who is a coach and inventor, created an attachment called the "8-Mate" which lets you clip a marker on without tape.

http://figureskating.about.com/od/equipment/a/pernatalks_4.htm

Always ask first and then test your marker if you get permission to use one.

I don't know if he still has any 8-Mate attachments left, but you can reach out to Nick Perna via the icoachskating.com website - use the "Contact us" form.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright