You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Haircutter Spiral Off-ice work?  (Read 3831 times)

Offline pegasus99

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 8
Haircutter Spiral Off-ice work?
« on: September 02, 2014, 12:00:01 PM »
Coach has started me on haircutter spiral positions. My problem is angling my hand and body to properly grab the blade, while still maintaining position with my torso and hips... does that make sense?

One side is easier than the other. I have been putting on an old pair of skates and stretching back with proper blade grab (as best I can) in a doorframe and that seems to be working. Does anyone else have any other suggestions, or even work on the floor? I read somewhere that it's easier to get the stretch when you don't have to think about balance.

Or perhaps Coach just has better drugs than me... LOL

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
Re: Haircutter Spiral Off-ice work?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 04:41:39 AM »
I can only get into a proper haircutter position, straight out of a Layback and have never tried it on the left (I should really try that!!!).

What I do at home  is get against a wall, push my hips forward and get into a nice layback position. Try to look at the opposite wall and have your chest completely flat, so that someone can put a glass of water on it. Making sure that you don't move your back,  reach back with your right hand (if you are a righty), flex your right foot and grab under your toes. I.e. your hand should be under your toes and your fingers should touch the bottom of your foot. The rotation of you arm should not actually come from the hand, that will put ALOT of stress on your wrist. It should come from your shoulder. If getting into that position is difficult, you might want to consider some shoulder opening /rotational exercises. Once here rotate your shoulder inward( i.e. toward the wall) and pull your foot to your head. The key to getting into a nice position is maintaining your back as far back as possible, so you have to do as little work as possible with your foot/leg.

As for floor exercises:
Exercises Pigeon Twist, Pigeon Crescent, Half King Pigeon, should help open up both your hips and your shoulders so that you can make the transition a bit easier.
http://www.fitsugar.com/Yoga-Sequence-Tight-Hips-33722457#photo-33775410
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline pegasus99

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 12:22:22 PM »
Awesome - thank you!

I saw some YouTube vids where a chick had some kind of foot-ropey-grabby thing that might help with me grabbing the blade properly. I might have to make something.

And even if this doesn't work out, more flexibility cannot hurt!!

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »
Champion cords maybe?

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 02:39:27 PM »
Although perhaps your normal stretch bands would work too? I picked one up at walmart for about $10

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 03:52:42 PM »
You could probably use a belt or any type of strap but these are great and have so many uses!

http://www.optp.com/Stretch-Out-Strap-with-Exercise-Booklet?cat_id=51#.VH4meqTF9OU
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 12:51:28 PM »
I'm getting more and more flexible and my coach says that the haircutter and biellmann positions may be possible. My question is: how do I stretch my back properly? Is there something I should avoid hurting the lumbar?

Offline rsk8d

• Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 07:27:53 PM »
The back extension you have is due to the mobility of the joints, not flexibility of the muscles. Do not force your joints into extension more than you naturally have, or you injuring the facet joints. Continue to work on the flexibility of your hip flexors, hip adductors,  and hamstrings
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 02:20:56 PM »
The back extension you have is due to the mobility of the joints, not flexibility of the muscles. Do not force your joints into extension more than you naturally have, or you injuring the facet joints. Continue to work on the flexibility of your hip flexors, hip adductors,  and hamstrings

Thank you. I will try that.