You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Gold Seals vs Matrix Legacy, which should I choose?  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Timonerr_

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Gold Seals vs Matrix Legacy, which should I choose?
« on: January 10, 2023, 06:50:26 AM »

I am going to start from the beginning, since September I have been skating in Matrix Legacy’s, and they were great, I really liked the deeper edges that they gave me and the drag pick( the bottom one), but at that time I was also looking into gold seals since everyone were saying they were amazing, so I bought also a second hand skates with gold seals, I didn’t try them seriously until this past week, since my usual skates were in my country and I had to come back for an exam. Well I have been trying the gold seals and I liked them as well, it is true that spins were so much easier, I was able to do more than two revolutions on camel spin XD, but I didn’t notice that much of a difference if you ask me, I have been struggling with back spin a lot, and when I went to try it with the gold seals, I realized that the drag tooth was somewhat smaller and it was really hard to do backspin, maybe it was because it was second hand? but I guess I got used to it.

I need to buy new skates since Edea didn’t work for me, so I am wondering which I would choose this time. I really liked that matrix don’t need to sharpen a lot, I haven’t sharpened one since September, it is true that I haven’t skated much l, but I was with coronation ace for half a year before and I had to sharpen much more, in the other forum they are so against matrix blades that’s why I wanted to post a thread about this so I got another peoples opinion, also there’s so many figure skaters that I saw in international competitions that wear matrix, so it shouldn’t be that bad right? I want to hear so diverse opinions to make up my mind about it.

Thanks In advance :)

Online tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: Gold Seals vs Matrix Legacy, which should I choose?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 10:12:41 PM »
* You're comparing two different levels of blades.  The Matrix Legacy is an intermediate blade, "nominally comparable" to the Wilson Coronation Ace.  The Wilson Gold Seal is an advanced blade.  The Matrix Supreme is an advanced blade, "nominally comparable" to the Gold Seal.  But Ultima blades (including Matrix series) have flatter spin rockers than their Wilson and MK counterparts.  This may or may not matter to you.  But one distinctive feature of the Gold Seal [for those who favor it] is the pronounced spin rocker.

* With a used blade, you don't know the history of the sharpening, how well the profile has been maintained.

* The size of the drag pick shouldn't affect your spins at all:  you don't dig the drag pick deep into the ice during a spin.

Offline Kaitsu

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 12:47:02 PM »
Can you measure touch point length and heel lift from both blade pairs and both blades (L+R)? ...and let us know also your blade size.

I will try to edit video where you can see profile comparison of brand new Pattern 99 and Matrix Legacy. Matrix blades are quite high. Not sure if that matters for you, but might be worth of comparison.

Offline supersharp

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 73
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 02:56:12 PM »
Also please let us know :
  • your skating level and style--what is your focus (freestyle vs dance or pairs or...)
    how long have you skated, did you skate as a kid,
    are you a fast skater with a lot of power or a more deliberate skater?
    what boots are the Matrix blade mounted to?
    what boots are the Gold Seal mounted to?

All of these will affect which blade makes the most sense and also whether the boot each blade is on is responsible for part of what is working differently. 

Thanks!

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 12:31:00 PM »
Honestly, I don’t think level is a factor. If you’re going to end up on Gold Seals, you are better off starting on them. The big issue is cost, and I am not sure JW/MK are worth the premium given how mature and high quality the alternatives are.

Honestly I kinda prefer the Eclipse blades.

Except if you want a Pattern 99 or Phantom. Those blades are a bit unique in design and profile and clones just don’t deliver. Can be a PITA if you start on something else, progress decently far and then try to switch to them (cause original blade was marketed such that it led you to believe the two were interchangeable).