You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ice Sports Centre, Thatcham, UK  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Leif

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 2
Ice Sports Centre, Thatcham, UK
« on: July 15, 2019, 05:41:46 PM »
This is a small teaching facility that has recently opened. There is a small ice pad, about 1/8 of a full size hockey rink, that is used for teaching, and hockey scrimmages. It’s plenty big enough to teach skating, figure and hockey, and the big advantage is that it is not for general skating, so you can do jumps without skewering a casual skater. I’ve had hockey lessons in full kit, and my first lesson with a figure skating coach is this weekend.

They have some very capable coaches. The one I will see has competed at a very high level in the UK, though in my case she hopes to improve my hockey skating technique. They do group lessons too, for hockey, and learning to skate. Prices are quite reasonable.

Well worth a visit to check out.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Ice Sports Centre, Thatcham, UK
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 05:46:43 PM »
Nice. We have small pop-up rinks nearby during the holidays, but nothing dedicated like your new facility.

Sounds ideal for teaching some elements that don't require a whole sheet of ice.
Bill Schneider

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 10:02:39 AM »
I see they mention synthetic ice on their website and tout that the 30% increased resistance makes for more powerful skaters.  Are you training on synthetic ice?  If so, how do you like it?  Finally,  do they also have real ice?  I would think that transitioning from synthetic to natural ice would translate into a loss of control since the skater would be pushing harder out of muscle memory built on the synthetic ice.

Offline Leif

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 07:16:34 PM »
I see they mention synthetic ice on their website and tout that the 30% increased resistance makes for more powerful skaters.  Are you training on synthetic ice?  If so, how do you like it?  Finally,  do they also have real ice?  I would think that transitioning from synthetic to natural ice would translate into a loss of control since the skater would be pushing harder out of muscle memory built on the synthetic ice.

There is a small area of synthetic ice - Glice - which is used for shooting and goalie practice. I have used it three times. The first two times I did not like it as my skates slid sideways. The third time I had a deeper hollow and newly sharpened blades, and it was okay, I could get used to it. It requires better technique, but it’s not the same as ice. It’s great in a garage or small area for shooting practice. They say synthetic ice is good because you need better edge control. I can see that. I found inline skates helped my ice skating, as it forces you to think about your technique rather than being on auto pilot.

They have a small ice pad which is what I train on for ice hockey, and from tomorrow I am taking lessons on the ice with a figure skater to improve my skating technique.

Bill: absolutely, it’s really good for teaching, as it’s cheaper to run and hire so you can have small groups, and at sensible times of the day.