You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Hoping that Sochi is Uneventful  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
Hoping that Sochi is Uneventful
« on: January 21, 2014, 09:27:41 PM »
Hearing the news on the security, threats, and plans to keep the Olympics safe . . . . it is bothering me.  Now, the US is going to have naval ships on the ready to try to evacuate the US team should something terrible happen.   That, and  Putin makes anti-gay remarks.   

I think of our Skating Olympic team and all the others who I don't know.  I know the dedication and sacrifice that it takes to have made it to the Olympics.  Now, it all could be spoiled by terrorists and these terrorists are threatening. 

The Olympics are supposed to be about sports uniting the world.  Instead Sochi is laced with too much intolerance, and those using the Olympics as a venue to display their intolerance.   I wish the Olympic committee never picked Sochi.

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
Re: Hoping that Sochi is Uneventful
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 10:58:28 PM »
Let's hope and pray that the ones who can really make this a nightmare are being kept at bay.
And that Putin keeps word and won't prosecute athletes and visitors who are openly 'out'

The Chechnya situation has been brewing long enough for everybody to know...the legislation regarding gays was not foreseeable - when, 8 years ago?
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 11:36:46 PM »
No, but the Soviet Union has not been tolerant of many of the same freedoms that we enjoy.  While I am not an overly religious person, the Soviet Union has been giving many Russians hell for practicing their religious denominations.  This has been going on for years & year, and still to this day.  The U.N. Human Rights court in France hears these cases.

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 12:41:44 AM »
I am not disagreeing with you. But a lot of these things have been under the radar for a lot of people.
As in 'they didn't look'
However China is probably worse in this perspective.
There are only so many nations that can afford to host the games. And ten you have to give them a break now and then, plus of course, you have to switch it around, East/West, North/South...

:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 01:58:41 PM »
Major public events and places where many people gather attract people who want to hurt other people, in any country, regardless of belief or ideology. Some of them almost always succeed in minor ways (like theft) at least, though it doesn't usually get into the news.

The efforts of governments to secure people's safety is a good thing. If there were no such efforts, that would be far worse.

I live in a country (the USA) which has more violent crime than almost any country in the world, near Washington, DC, one of the most dangerous cities in the world, both from a crime perspective, and as a terrorist target. I drive. I participate in sports.

Only you can decide what risks are worth taking.

Offline jjdoe

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 12:38:12 AM »
The Atlanta games had deaths. And we have our share of terrorists and haters here, too. But we aren't at war with our southern neighbor, like Russia is. We aren't looking for the Deadly Widows of Texas... The games will be interesting!
I think the Olympic dream may be over. When teams can't wear their (ugly) jersey's on the street, maybe it's time to call it quits.
(my dream - permanent venues for the summer and winter games. And maybe rotate them every year. I don't watch the summer games, but I'd love to see a bi-yearly winter games!)
From what I've read, NO city has benefited much from having the games. I suspect that when the Atlanta stadium is torn down next year(?), that will be the last of the remaining venues. Time to try a new model. And save all those bribes for something else, like luring movie studios or auto plants to your town...

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »
I lived and worked in Atlanta when the Olympics came in 96.  I had a ganglion cyst removed from my ankle just before the games started (stiff skating boots).  It was a slow time, and everyone was encouraged to take time off.   However, with my cast,  I went to the office, which was on the 18th floor in the Equitable building, overlooking the Olympic park where the bombing took place.  I hobbled around the Olympic village, just dumbstruck at what happened.  I did get to see the track and field, day that Michael Johnson won a lot of gold medals.  And, I took in a baseball game.  It was an awesome time, despite the bombing.  But, the bombing just gave the whole thing a bad taste.  I felt really bad for all the athletes who trained so hard, to have a "party crasher" on his own, selfish mission.

That being said, did you see the article by Christine Brennan yesterday about the security in Sochi at the skating venue?

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 03:26:00 PM »