You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Artistic Program  (Read 1641 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Artistic Program
« on: January 27, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
How would you define dramatic artistic program?  How does it seem different from a freestyle program?  (USFS).

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Artistic Program
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 12:11:18 PM »
I have never tried it, but my understanding is a dramatic program is judged on its entertainment value rather than technical content.  It is not supposed to be funny, because that would be a "light entertainment" program.  The rulebook says each competition is supposed to define the event in the competition announcement.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 12:59:19 PM »
I would define it as a program intended to draw an emotional response through the creative use of movement that is not comedic.

Offline singerskates

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
  • Canadian Adult Skater
    • Singerskates Sports Music Editing
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 02:42:22 PM »
An artistic program is similar to our Canadian interpretive program, in where you skate to the melody notes, under melodies trying to convey the program's meaning through steps, turns and body movements using the entire body low to the ice, normal stance and in the air without doing more than a half rotation in the air on jumps. It's to skate as close as possible to each nuance of the music with the skating skills you possess. Unlike US and maybe ISU style interpretive programs, it is frowned upon to do more than half rotation non-listed jumps in your interpretive program and can possibly make the judges think that you are skating a free skate program instead and result in very low interpretive marks. In Canada our interpretive programs are marked using the CPC's PCS marks.  
"It's not age that determines but the heart." "Skating is not just a sport for the young but it's a passion for the soul of the young at heart." Brigitte Laskowski

I am an adult skater who is a member of Tecumseh Skating  WOS for 2012 2013 season.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 03:27:13 PM »
Thank you!  It is hard as a non skater to know what I'm looking at....many freestyles seem "dramatic" and many artistic programs look like freestyles.  There seems to be a line between campy and overly done and under-done.  When I google program videos I see a lot of high level skaters but not a lot of pre-pre skaters - and a high level skater and pre-pre don't really compare.  :)

The descriptions you gave help!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 09:51:03 PM »
Yeah, and I like the commentary in the Canadian interpretive manual that it's not supposed to be about dolls coming to life or magical fairies ... and judges keep trying to get it across to people that it's not supposed to be about acting out lyrics ... the best test sheet we ever got was clearly from a judge who is frustrated with too many pop ballads being turned into heavy emotive pieces ... the comment was simply, THANKYOU for not skating to a Song Title!