You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: PSA: Spinning in the other direction (IJS spin feature)  (Read 1496 times)

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
PSA: Spinning in the other direction (IJS spin feature)
« on: October 06, 2023, 10:46:33 AM »
I competed in an IJS event this past weekend and learned something from the tech panel regarding spinning in the other direction. Sadly, my spin ended up getting dashed, but I wanted to educate everyone on an IJS spin rule/clarification that wasn’t super clear to begin with.

Here’s what I learned:

According to ISU communication 2558, which is still in effect this season, a skater can earn a feature if they execute a spin in the opposite direction (as long as it immediately follows the spin in the “normal” direction for that skater). What this rule doesn’t clarify is that if a skater executes this spin, it is considered a CHANGE FOOT SPIN. Because the skater changes feet for this feature, it will receive a code for the respective change foot spin.

Example: a skater does an USp and immediately does an USp the other direction. The code it will receive is a CUSp. Same goes for a CSp to opposite direction CSp and SSp to opposite direction SSp (they will be coded as CCSp and CSSp, respectively). A combo spin with a position in the opposite direction (assuming the skater executed the same position on their “normal” foot) will receive a CCoSp code.

The reason why my spin was dashed is because we didn’t realize it would be coded as a change foot spin. I already executed a CCoSp earlier in the program, and because my final spin had the same code, the final spin received no value.

Please don’t let this happen to you and I hope you share this with others!
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline AlbaNY

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 129
Re: PSA: Spinning in the other direction (IJS spin feature)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 12:32:34 PM »
Excellent to know.  Thanks for pointing it out. 

(Not that I expect to compete much anymore, but for everyone.)
I just saw a coach in Romania having her swarm of skaters working on back spins in both directions one after another.  I haven’t seen that before and generally was discouraged about doing both ways by coaches personally. 

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 213
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 06:10:54 AM »
Good to know! Thank you!

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 10:27:23 PM »
Thanks for the info. Does this mean that we can actually do a CCW spin then follow with a CW spin as a Change Foot Spin?

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2023, 09:16:29 AM »
Yes, as long as you do the same type of spin immediately following each other (meaning it has to be a camel to a camel, a sit to a sit or an upright to an upright). You won’t be awarded the feature if you do different types of spins (like a camel in one direction to a sit in the other direction).
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline AlbaNY

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 129
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2023, 09:21:25 AM »
Yes, as long as you do the same type of spin immediately following each other (meaning it has to be a camel to a camel, a sit to a sit or an upright to an upright). You won’t be awarded the feature if you do different types of spins (like a camel in one direction to a sit in the other direction).

This makes me happy.  If I create a program for this season I’m totally going to work on my sit spin both ways.  It has a good chance of actually working out.   ;D 

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2023, 07:26:26 PM »

Great news. I saw some adults doing it at the Nashville competition and was wondering.