You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Figure Skating Officialdom: How Ya Gonna Pay For your Habit?  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Figure Skating Officialdom: How Ya Gonna Pay For your Habit?
« on: August 27, 2013, 05:06:08 AM »
Figure Skating Officialdom: How Ya Gonna Pay For your Habit? http://tinyurl.com/lye3taq
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline ONskater74

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 10
Re: Figure Skating Officialdom: How Ya Gonna Pay For your Habit?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 07:33:34 PM »
Interesting assessment. However, I tend to disagree on a few points. Overall, I think his focus on the financial aspect, running on heirloom finances etc, is poignant. Many many organisations are spending their inheritance at breakneck pace and doing little or nothing to replenish the treasury. What are they leaving for those who come after? Where is the glory, the honour, the legend of today? 
His assumption that all male skaters want some sort of athletic obstacle course, like an on-ice steeplechase, is tiring. Skaters like that are better off playing hockey or football.
Why do so many people look to the past now? Why the worrisome noises around figure skating's decline in terms of it being a nationally televised sport? Elsewhere I reviewed a book written in the mid 90's which confidently predicted that in a few years figure skating would DOMINATE sports programming, it was the HOTTEST thing in terms of advertising revenues, viewership, and, of course, that all had nothing to do with the whack on the knee business..... :o
So how many nonskating adults in the general population spend any time watching figure skating other than Olympic competition??? Are the networks fighting over the rights to televise nationals???