You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Are there ice skating rinks in ... Delhi, India?  (Read 2612 times)

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 18
Are there ice skating rinks in ... Delhi, India?
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:30:43 PM »
A friend is moving to Delhi and wants to continue taking lessons. I did a quick Web search and found a rink in Mumbai:
http://www.esselworld.in/ice_skating.html

and an outdoor "rink" in Shimla, in the Himalayas:
http://www.shimlaindia.net/adventure-sports/ice-skating.html

Those are so far that you'd have to fly or take a very long train ride from Delhi. Mumbai is 720 miles away and Shimla is over 200 miles away. Does anyone know of a Delhi-area ice rink?

Also, this might be a useful thread for others hunting for rinks in unlikely places.

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 18
Re: Are there ice skating rinks in ... Delhi, India?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 09:33:07 AM »
Good find, Jim. Thanks.

There's info about four more rinks at the end of the article you posted: "Besides Shimla there are only four other ice-skating rinks in the country, of which two are in Leh and one each in Kargil and Gulmarg. However, they are all outdoor rinks as the country so far does not have any regularly functioning indoor rink, said Banga."

I don't know anything about Leh and Gulmarg, but I believe Kargil is on the border with Pakistan because there's a movie called "L.O.C. Kargil" -- or Line of Control Kargil. They're probably all in the foothills of the Himalayas.