You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Thoughts about Coronation Ace Revolution blades?  (Read 14768 times)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Thoughts about Coronation Ace Revolution blades?
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 01:35:29 PM »
It was posted on the other thread, but for the benefit of anyone else stumbling upon this thread to may want to know, the infinity is the equivalent of the Wilson Pattern 99/MK Vantage, and the Myst is basically a Coronation Ace/Professional clone.

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2014, 05:40:25 PM »
What's an MK Vantage. I know a Vision isn't anything like a Pattern 99. I haven't heard of the MK Vantage before.

I decided to keep my MK Pro blades and defer upgrading for at least a few months. The shorter heel on the Infinity would kill me while breaking in these new boots and I wouldn't be able to stay off the toe picks. After the skates are more comfortable, I'll rethink if I need them.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2014, 10:02:48 PM »
MK Vantage blades were discontinued a long time ago.  Some fitters say that they're on par with the Vision, but YMMV - our archives show some unhappy skaters after a Vantage-to-Vision change.  The chart below shows that they're a step up from MK Pro/JW Coronation Ace as freestyle blades; probably the counterpart to Wilson's Four Aces blades.

I've been looking for this chart for a long time...
http://www.dit.upm.es/~jantonio/personal/patinaje/equip.htm#Blades
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 10:32:14 PM »
Sorry, Vantage pre-dates the current Vision, but Isk8NYC is correct, it was discontinued, and many were unhappy with the Vision (they liked the Vantage better, the pick configuration was *slightly* different) - I am constantly getting those two mixed up :)

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2014, 01:10:55 PM »
The price of the Vision is such that you're better off just going with the Phantoms.

I don't see any talk about the Four Aces ever. I need to look at those.

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 04:54:59 AM »
MK Vantage blades were discontinued a long time ago.  Some fitters say that they're on par with the Vision, but YMMV - our archives show some unhappy skaters after a Vantage-to-Vision change.  The chart below shows that they're a step up from MK Pro/JW Coronation Ace as freestyle blades; probably the counterpart to Wilson's Four Aces blades.

I've been looking for this chart for a long time...
http://www.dit.upm.es/~jantonio/personal/patinaje/equip.htm#Blades

After looking at some Visions, they're more equivalent to Pattern 99. Theyre basicall to the Pattern 99 what the Gold Star is to the Gold Seal. The pick configuration is almost the same, but the vision has a High-Intermediate Rocker profile. It's very curvy in the front (similar to an MK Pro in that respect) and the Rocker Radius (for gliding) is 7' instead of 8 (MK blade).

The blade probably isn't as strong as the ones (MK/JW blades) that cost more than it, and probably doesn't hold sharpening as well, which is likely why it costs less.

Also, they seem to be harder to get. Frequently skaters have to wait weeks for them and a lot of fitters done stock them. If MK dropped them down to about $325 I reckon they'd sell a ton of them, but that would eat into Phantom and Gold Star sales.

Eclipse Infinity (P99) Pick:

MK Vision Pick:

The Vision is somewhat smaller in the pick and less aggressive (less of an angle on the drag pick, rounder spin rocker), but the general designs of the pick seems aimed to mimic a JW P99.