You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: 55-year-old trying to learn  (Read 5922 times)

Offline Weeze

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 0
55-year-old trying to learn
« on: April 09, 2013, 01:48:06 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum.  I've always wanted to learn how to skate and at 55 it's rough going so far.  Any tips, or am I kidding myself that this old dog can learn this very difficult new trick?

Thanks!

Weeze :-\
Weeze

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: 55-year-old trying to learn
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 02:18:48 PM »
Welcome!  I started skating a year ago at 55.  While my progress is slower than those who are younger there is progress.  If you are enjoying being on the ice then I wouldn't worry about what tricks you eventually master.  Just enjoy the journey!

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 02:40:57 PM »
It has been a long time, but I once saw some older gentleman on TV. He had picked up skating at the tender age of 65. Somewhere in his 80s he decided to omit jumping for the sake of health preservation.

A friend of mine started Martial Arts at 60. Also rather intricate.

So as long as you give yourself permission to be a bit less quick, a little less agile than the kids on the ice, I see absolutely no reason for you not to get some place enjoyable with skating. :)
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline Weeze

• Under the Edge
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 03:23:52 PM »
Thanks for the responses . . . I just want to be able to reliably skate forward and back for exercise and enjoyment.  I don't have any big ambitions such as jumps, spins, etc.  Eventually would like to try cross-overs.

Night and weekend public skates are too crowded/chaotic, so my only options right now are 12-2pm public skates on Tuesdays & Thursdays (my days off).

The seasonal rink where I started had Adult skate times, but the nonseasonal rinks don't have those, unfortunately.  The kids are a little too rambunctious for a newbie!

I think what's holding me back is fear; I see the youngsters out there falling as if it's nothing (granted, they have a shorter distance to fall!) and just get back up and continue.  I wish I'd taken it up then.

I've fallen several times and not gotten hurt, but I guess subconsciously you think the NEXT time you WILL get hurt.

I wear knee pads, wrist guards, elbow pads, and padded shorts, and recently ordered an Ice Halo, so I've got all bases covered.

They say to fall to your side, but when you've lost all control how do you "aim" where you're falling?

Anyway, I'm not giving up!

Thanks again,

Weeze

Weeze

Offline Weeze

• Under the Edge
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 03:41:44 PM »
BTW, I'm not wearing rental skates!  I don't know how that came up!  Can anyone tell me how to change that?  Thanks!
Weeze

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 03:50:25 PM »
OT, does anyone know why this was moved to 'events for skaters' section? The mods are getting a little over zealous moving things lately, I'm confused about why the need.....

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 04:16:02 PM »
BTW, I'm not wearing rental skates!  I don't know how that came up!  Can anyone tell me how to change that?  Thanks!

Haha it's OK, keep posting and that title will go away very soon.

I wear knee pads, wrist guards, elbow pads, and padded shorts, and recently ordered an Ice Halo, so I've got all bases covered.

That's a great start. I have seen a brave lady in her 60s or 70s learn to skate, fell backwards hitting the head with a LOUD BANG, and was totally OK thanks to a decent helmet.

*** I think this is clearly a Sitting on the Boards thread, likely just a small mistake that it's in Events for Skaters.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 04:57:20 PM »

That's just a board title- it tells people that you are new here :)  Welcome!  As jjane says, it will go away soon.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 07:51:30 PM »
Thanks for the responses . . . I just want to be able to reliably skate forward and back for exercise and enjoyment.  I don't have any big ambitions such as jumps, spins, etc.  Eventually would like to try cross-overs.

Hehe that's what we all said when we started out as adults: "I just want to...", and then when we had that down, it became "Now I just want to..."  ::>)  :laugh:

OT, does anyone know why this was moved to 'events for skaters' section?
I agree with you phoenix - it looks like a rinkside topic to me too?

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 08:51:53 PM »
My mom is 60 and takes skating lessons. She can go backwards and forwards and passed her alpha test last year. I know a few adults who started in their 40s, 50s or 60s and ended up working on jumps and spins and competing. I bet in a couple of years crossovers will be easy for you, and you'll be saying you just want to learn turns, and then a waltz jump, and then a one-foot spin... :)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 10:14:42 PM »
OT, does anyone know why this was moved to 'events for skaters' section? The mods are getting a little over zealous moving things lately, I'm confused about why the need.....

Oops, I missed the "On the Boards" forum on the pick list, lol.  Big fingers, little browser screen., overshot the runway.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline ls99

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 10:23:22 PM »
I started at 62 or 63. Time flies when having fun.

Yes, I can reliably skate backwards and forwards, and do a few more things.

You can do it.
There must be moderation in everything. Including moderation.

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 12:04:21 AM »
And I started as a 63rd birthday gift to myself two years ago. I am not a natural athlete, I'm heavier than I should be, there are a about a million reasons that this should not be fun but it's wonderful, even when it's torture it's wonderful. I progress in tiny increments but I work and I progress. I'm happy with that.

I'm not terribly concerned with safety, don't wear any special equipment - I seem to bounce and while I've bruised myself a few times, I'm tougher than all that. I am going in for knee surgery next week for two meniscus tears and did I get them at the rink? Of course not. At the gym doing something that is clearly "safe" to do. Go figure. I'll be very happy to dump the pain but I'm just crazy that I'll have to be off the ice for six weeks!

Rock on, enjoy yourself and be especially grateful that you can still tie up your skates and try to learn something you didn't know the day before, even if it's a very little something. That's the one piece of advice that I would offer - celebrate (in your own head) even the very smallest improvements. That's what I do. I may not talk about it but if today I can get a cleaner, more balanced inside edge for 2 seconds more than I've ever done it before then my day is made. It's not like I stop but I have something in my head that I can away from the rink as my 'triumph' for the day. They're very tiny triumphs but they keep me going and keep me happy.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 12:34:49 AM »
Hehe that's what we all said when we started out as adults: "I just want to...", and then when we had that down, it became "Now I just want to..."  ::>)  :laugh:

::>) ::>) ::>)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 12:48:32 AM »

Yes, it's a slippery slope, literally! :)

I have skated regularly over the past 3 years with a group of ladies (and one older gentleman) that are quite a bit older than I am (most are more than twice my age!) and they've been a wonderful source of inspiration for me - because the way I see it, if they are out there skating, and skating quite well, then I really can't come up with reasonable excuses to hold myself back while I have age on my side :)  I've also learned the importance of setting small goals and celebrating every accomplishment... rather than only focusing on the big picture or some "impossible" goal and losing sight of how much you're really improving.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
Welcome!

Just takes things as they come and enjoy learning and improving! As long as you are having fun and liking the challenge (both physical and mental) that is skating then you are on the right path... whatever speed you are improving at. :)

The only pair skaters at our rink are in their late 70s and do lifts, death spirals as well as mirror toe-loops etc and also do dance too! They started skating in their 50s. ;D They are very inspirational!

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 02:02:39 PM »
I'll add my voice to this chorus.  Although I started figure skating in my late 20s, life, career, etc. pulled me away for the next 35 years.  But two years ago, a pair of young nieces dragged me back to the rink (in my mid-60s) and while not completely back at square one I was nearly there.  A broken arm and lots of group lessons later I'm knocking on the door of the FS-1 test that I almost passed way back when.  I hope to eventual find out if I'm clever enough to ice dance--we shall see!  Bottom line:  if you want it and can image yourself doing it, then sooner or later you will!

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 07:50:33 PM »
I'm chiming in late (been on vacation)

All I have to add is take lessons.  Don't try to learn it on your own.  My current LTS has a larger adult than kid component ranging from mid 30s to mid 60s.  For a long time, when I was in my 40s, I was the oldest in LTS. Now, at 50, I'm smack in the middle age-wise, but the most experienced.  A good group will keep you motivated as you push and support each other.

Falls are inevitable.  When we fall, we applaud each other--after we make sure we are ok.  In 10+ years, I've broken an ankle and a wrist, plus too many bumps and bruises to count. The only time I wore a brace or protection was for about six months after I broke my wrist (and I skated with the cast)

Skating is also a great stress reliever-it's hard to focus on where your balance is supposed to be and your to-do list at the same time, so you focus on skating and forget that other crap.

Enjoy it and learn at your own pace.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 08:11:47 PM »

Night and weekend public skates are too crowded/chaotic, so my only options right now are 12-2pm public skates on Tuesdays & Thursdays (my days off).

The seasonal rink where I started had Adult skate times, but the nonseasonal rinks don't have those, unfortunately.  The kids are a little too rambunctious for a newbie!

I think what's holding me back is fear; I see the youngsters out there falling as if it's nothing (granted, they have a shorter distance to fall!) and just get back up and continue.  I wish I'd taken it up then.

I've fallen several times and not gotten hurt, but I guess subconsciously you think the NEXT time you WILL get hurt.

They say to fall to your side, but when you've lost all control how do you "aim" where you're falling?

Anyway, I'm not giving up!

Thanks again,

Weeze

Public skating will be empty in the summer even on daytime weekends. So you can get more ice time. Don't bother to skate at night sessions unless it's midweek.

I confirm others' comments: sign up for Learn to Skate. You'll be doing crossovers soon enough.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Weeze

• Under the Edge
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 10:34:24 AM »
I took group lessons twice but didn't get very far.  Am now taking occasional private lessons.
Weeze