You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Where is the best place to sit at shows and competitions?  (Read 12544 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Where is the best place to sit at shows and competitions?
« on: October 10, 2010, 02:56:28 PM »
Skating events are really expensive and nowadays, you have to buy seats online.  While they provide a seating chart, I never know what sections to look for, so I usually try to get close to center ice.

I remember at one of the Disson shows, the cameras were on one side of the arena, so the skaters' routines were choreographed to play to the cameras more than the other side of the arena. 

I've always wondered about the views from the 'end zone' ... if you wanted close-up photos or autographs, are those good places to sit, if they're near the athlete's entrance area?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
Re: Where is the best place to sit at shows and competitions?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 09:39:18 AM »
If it's a competition, I try to sit nearish to the judges, or at least on their side of the ice. If it's a show/exhibition, it really seems to depend on the specific production where the best seats are.

For one Stars on Ice, we got end zone seats, pretty close to the ice. For most of the show, it felt like we were watching from the side (we were even the "afterthought end" where they just waved to us after bowing to everyone else) but the seats were totally worth it for an Olympic parody number: we were sitting right behind a bench where Kurt Browning was sitting waiting for his turn to skate. He kept turning around making faces and gestures to us about the other skaters - it was hilarious!

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:41:23 PM »
I think sitting up in one of the corners on the judge's side is the best place to sit - you can really see the choreography of the programs.

I know a lot of people like to sit really close but I have found sitting further up to be both economical and more enjoyable.  Sitting opposite the judges is okay (sometimes it is really hard to know where they are going to be when looking at a seating chart unless you are really familiar with the arena and have been to several events at that arena) but sometimes you have the feeling that you are looking at the "back" of the program, which can be kind of odd.

I had that experience during SOI last spring where I saw the "back" of Davis and White's Bollywood number - it was more enjoyable on TV!!

This fall I am going to be an ice monitor for Skate America (for the Ladies and maybe Dance events) and so I will see what it is like to watch from that level!!

Offline FSWer

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 03:34:27 PM »
In 5 words.....up front on on ice.

Offline chriskater

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 04:28:22 PM »
http://www.olympic.org/figure-skating-individual-men
We all should become photographers, I'm pretty sure these guys got the BEST place. They're just right in the best place.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 08:09:04 PM »
We were blessed to get box seats from a gf for SOI this past year and LOVED it.  The kids got to run around, have snacks and a private bathroom and we were close enough to see the skaters facial expressions.  ON the ice would have been cooler - but this was a lot of fun.

Our normal seating is nosebleed for everything and we did that for Disney, but dd has no interest in seeing Disney on Ice again.  I can't wait for SOI this year - her golf coach said his family also has a box and we were welcome to use it.  Crossing my fingers he has space!

If not we will view from far above with binoculars. :blush: I just can't afford better.

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 04:08:32 PM »
Competitions - I used to try to get seats in the 'lutz corner' - can't remember how I used to figure it out, but from most skaters programs, there was one corner that got all the action.

For SOI, I get on ice seats.  Sarah Hughes sat with us one year, and gave my kids extra hugs and autographs when she wouldn't do it for anyone else.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 01:43:22 AM »
A student's mom works for ABC and has shared comp tix with me for SOI a few times, and just this week for Disney on Ice.  We were a bit towards the back on the side ON ICE for the Disney.  It was great, but now I know (if I ever have a choice) that the story plays to the front, opposite from where the skaters enter/exit.  There was also some action at the back, but that was mostly non-skating.  OT, but I have to add that watching two little girls in princess outfits next to us was as good as the show.
My glass is half full :)