You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Summer Skating Plans  (Read 7152 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Summer Skating Plans
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:18:30 AM »
The list of Camps & Clinics is pretty extensive, but the adult options are limited unless you are willing to share with the ice with kiddies.  What else is new?

I know that the Motown Tango and Hackensack Adult camps have been cancelled for 2011, but there are still other opportunities to train this summer, including Lake Placid NY and the Lapinski camp in Riverside, CA.

I'd really like to fit something into the schedule and really start skating again.  We're still planning family vacation and summer camps for the kids.

Are any other members going to attend an adult / child figure skating camp or skating clinic in the upcoming months?
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
Re: Summer Skating Plans
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 11:34:49 AM »
I skate at the rink in Riverside and I haven't heard anything about lipinske running her camp there, do you know where info about it is posted?

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 11:43:47 AM »
Lipinski camp info: http://skatingforums.com/index.php/topic,993.msg14870.html#msg14870
(Recommended by Hackensack Ice House staff.)
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 11:47:40 AM »
Hmm interesting, I will email them and see if it is still going to be held there. I would like to attend :)

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 02:28:04 PM »
In lieu of the Hackensack Adult Skating Camp, which has been sacked; we have decided to skate at The Carousel hotel in Ocean City, Maryland....it's a rink inside a hotel. My adult skating friend has a summer condo that she timeshares. Last time it was canceled, the other ladies went (I had classes over the summer so I couldn't go). The nice thing about it is you pay one fee and can skate all day, and it's warm. It's also on the beach.  I do believe they (the rink not the ladies) put on an ice show that's pretty decent, although I've never seen it.

We are also trying to figure something else out, like a one-day seminar in the area (Baltimore, Philly, Newark Delaware etc) that would substitute.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 02:45:08 PM »
I'm going to Lake Placid.
I gave into peer pressure.
Next thing you know, I'll be drinking in bars.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 09:08:38 PM »
I love Lake Placid. I did the summer camp several years in a row, once staying for a whole month and have nothing but great memories! I want to go back, but it won't be this year...

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 09:37:54 AM »
In lieu of the Hackensack Adult Skating Camp, which has been sacked; we have decided to skate at The Carousel hotel in Ocean City, Maryland....it's a rink inside a hotel. My adult skating friend has a summer condo that she timeshares. Last time it was canceled, the other ladies went (I had classes over the summer so I couldn't go). The nice thing about it is you pay one fee and can skate all day, and it's warm. It's also on the beach.  I do believe they (the rink not the ladies) put on an ice show that's pretty decent, although I've never seen it.

We are also trying to figure something else out, like a one-day seminar in the area (Baltimore, Philly, Newark Delaware etc) that would substitute.

You know it is teeny right?  It is also a really wierd surface.   My dd practiced there a couple years ago, but now I am not sure she can pull off the double doubles she needs to practice under those circumstances.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 09:50:07 AM »
I won't be doing anything different than my regular skating schedule, sadly :(
I will be doing 1 summer competition and I HOPE to make a trip to Chicago to possibly get new boots fitted...

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 10:11:32 AM »
I want to do something, but I'm waiting until my kids' summer schedule is set before I make any plans.

Then, I have to look at the budget.  With the trip to the Dallas for the PSA Conference, I might be over my limit.

Maybe I can fit in a weekly lesson or two plus some skating practices.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 11:40:08 AM »
You know it is teeny right?  It is also a really wierd surface.   My dd practiced there a couple years ago, but now I am not sure she can pull off the double doubles she needs to practice under those circumstances.
I do know it's small...but add in the condo, the beach, and our group and it will be fine.  ;D My friends tell me that it gets so warm in there they end up skating in shorts lol! (I'm hoping I can still go, as a class I need for fall has just been added to the summer schedule-this will really help lighten my fall load).
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »
I do know it's small...but add in the condo, the beach, and our group and it will be fine.  ;D My friends tell me that it gets so warm in there they end up skating in shorts lol! (I'm hoping I can still go, as a class I need for fall has just been added to the summer schedule-this will really help lighten my fall load).

It is warm in there, and there are usually scads of little kids using those metal walkers...mushy ice....yikes

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 03:49:17 PM »
I don't actually have any plans to skate more than a weekend public session or two each week this summer because my kids will be out of school and after next week my mom won't be available to babysit since she is having her second knee replacement (the first was done last November, and went just fine, but it was a good 8 weeks before she was able to watch just one kid, never mind all 3... so I am not holding out much hope that she'll volunteer before next fall).

It's so disappointing since my rink is offering a pretty nice summer program for adults this year... two on-ice and two off-ice classes each week (and those classes are only $5!!!!), plus adult-only ice time every day (which we don't even have now)... I will just hope and pray they do it again next year (and the year after, and the year after that, etc..)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 03:52:40 PM »
after next week my mom won't be available to babysit since she is having her second knee replacement
Hope all goes well for her!

My nephew was looked after by his grandmother, and after her knee replacement, she had a much tougher time- they had to go up stairs on their bottoms, for example.  For the longest time, if he wanted to be carried upstairs instead of walk (he was 2 or 3) he would look at you and say "knee! knee!" to explain why he couldn't do it.

Offline Laneybug7

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 25
  • Unicorns and glitter:P
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 07:20:04 PM »

I stayed/skated at the Carousel hotel in OC, MD just last year, I've been going about every other year.  It's great to skate and then step outside and there's the beach.  The ice show was pretty good last year...all skaters at least had doubles and flying spins.  The rink is very small, hot, and crappy ice, but HEY at least it is ice. I ended up getting very disoriented after doing a layback and getting over heated. Also, if you go, NEVER go during the public/night time skate...the little kids with the bars of death are absolutely ridiculous and it gets very crowded.  Usually during the daytime publics, there is hardly anyone on the ice. 

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 08:23:43 PM »
I've mentioned the Wheaton Ice Arena (Wheaton, MD) Ice Dance clinics in past years. I love the way they teach.

The pamphlet lists 4 days of ice dance instruction for intermediate skaters (officially gamma level and up, though silver or so test level ice dancers often show up), with a clear gasp of edges, three-turns, and mohawks). Includes music interpretation, dance patterns, power skating, on and off-ice drills and strength training (Ballet, Cross Country, and Stamina).

Unfortunately, they are splitting the class this year - the "5 and over" group and the "18 and over" group are both at the same time - Tuesday - Friday July 5 - 8, 2011, 8:15-12:15. I don't know whether they are on the ice at the same time, or whether each is off-ice while the other is on.

it's pricey for 4 hours/day, half of it off-ice, with 15 minute or so breaks between sessions - $180 for all 4 days, or $52/day. "A $20 discount will apply to the second sibling and/or registering for multiple sessions at one time." But if you can afford it, and live near Metropolitan DC, I think it's great.

It says you can sign up at parkpass.org, but I can't find it there, and parkpass.org has always been pretty hard to use. So sign up at the rink.

The instructors, of the Wheaton Skating Academy, Alexei Kiliakov, Elena Novak and Dmytri Ilin are Russian and Ukrainian, with fairly impressive backgrounds - see www.wisa.us/coaches.html.

When they say Ballet, they mean strength training exercises, in the fashion taught to Russian ice dancers by Ballet and Ballroom dance instructors. Their off-ice training has been interesting and innovative. Past clinics have included Dmytri's hip-hop class, and free dance choreography suggestions from Elena.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 09:39:21 PM »
I don't actually have any plans to skate more than a weekend public session or two each week this summer because my kids will be out of school and after next week my mom won't be available to babysit since she is having her second knee replacement (the first was done last November, and went just fine, but it was a good 8 weeks before she was able to watch just one kid, never mind all 3... so I am not holding out much hope that she'll volunteer before next fall).

Could you hire two teens to watch the kids at the rink during the camp?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
Could you hire two teens to watch the kids at the rink during the camp?

I've thought about this, but I don't really know any :(

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 10:16:18 PM »
Does you coach have older students? She or he might have some that they could recommend to you.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 06:55:05 PM »
My standards: 6A sessions W, Th, F, Sa, Su.  With the kids out of school, this is usually EMPTY.  On some Sundays I will have to push my start time to 5A (ick) to accommodate my dog trials and have to skip some Sundays to accommodate dog trials where we need to get up @ 3:30 to drive downstate.  (double ick).  On some Sundays I will also get to skate @ 3:30P.  I will also get in some lunchtime skates. 

I am also doing the Adult Artistic Workshop in Chicago over July 4th weekend.   :D  One of my coaches is hosting this.

Of course, a couple competitions to get some mileage on my program. 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 12:05:12 AM »
My number one concern is finding ice time that works with Coach. Planning to take the ISI tests and get a program going, I may have to add a short lesson and summer ice is definitely a challenge, especially the month of August!

Not sure about attending this year's adult skating clinic at home rink. Found it just OK last year, and rather use that budget toward privates with beloved Coach :)