You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Starskate Well balanced  (Read 4591 times)

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
Starskate Well balanced
« on: November 05, 2011, 03:21:16 PM »
I know we have moms from Canada on here. My DD is competing in an event in Whitehorse Yukon next year. This is what we got
as far as programs/rules. We did get what was required for short/ freestyle and times.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Events will be judged under the Cumulative Points System (CPC) for all events. The
Skate Canada, STARSkate Well Balanced Program Criteria in effect as of
November 15, 2011 will be used for all events. The criteria can be found on the
Skate Canada website at www.skatecanada.ca. This document incorporates
changes as of May 2011. See notes regarding the judging system (CPC) and the
team event in the e-mail to which this is appended

I looked on the website but couldnt find the rules.Do any of you have another link  for rules and CPC?

Thanks!!

Offline Tennisany1

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 5
Re: Starskate Well balanced
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 06:17:54 PM »
The best place for this information is the Section Website www.skatinginbc.com.

This link: http://www.skatinginbc.com/technical/starskate takes you to the technical section and there is a lot of information including a well balanced program chart.

What level is your dd skating?

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 06:25:34 PM »
I think it is called Senior Bronze. Here its Juvenile. She is going to Arctic Winter Games, which is Alaska, Canada,Russia,Northwest Territories,Greenland and I think at least one more country.
Thanks for the link, going to check it out!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 07:07:43 PM »
Senior Bronze doesn't make sense for your Juvie, given what I remember you saying she's landing ... but, here's the link to the WBP chart.

http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/Patricia%20Glenwright%2010%2011/6%2029%2011%202%20Well%20Balanced%20Program%20STARSkate%20Chart.pdf

In terms of program length, it's 2:30 this year.  You'll get kids with a range from no axel up to and including a clean double lutz, but, this is our test track, not our competitive track.  There is only one program ... not a short and a long.  All spins, step sequences, will be called at L1 - there is no level at Senior Bronze. My DD is skating Sr Bz this year ...

Now, I'm not sure of one thing. For us, anyone competing in the Competitive track with our Juvie and up is not allowed to compete at StarSkate; if you go to our REgionals, your are disqualified from Starskate for the entire year.  Not sure how that works with US skaters.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 07:09:37 PM »

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 07:20:09 PM »
Okay, I should have researched before I posted!  You are not going under the Skate Canada WBP per se; if you look forward onto Page 9 of your competition's Technical Package, for Ladies 3, it'll tell you exactly what your short and long can have.  It's not the same really as our Sr Brz, as we don't do two programs at the StarSkate. The relationship is that the FS is based on the Starskate Sr Bronze program criteria, and the Short program is a beast all of its own with no match in Starskate. 

http://www.arcticwintergames.org/2012%20TECHNICAL%20PACKAGE/Figure%20Skating.pdf

Offline Tennisany1

• Rink Rat
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 07:33:39 PM »
Arctic Winter Games looks interesting. I'm surprised it differs so much from the usual competition structure for the BC/Yukon Section - especially since I would assume there would a number of kids from the Yukon competing. Sk8tmum is right, Senior Bronze in BC/YT Section only has one program. Interestingly, effective July 1, 2011 kids who pass their Juv freeskate test are credited with their Jr. Silver StarSkate test.

As far as levels go, http://www.skatinginbc.com/sites/default/files/Williston%20Interclub/results/senior_bronze.pdf here are the marks from a northern BC Sr. Bronze competition. Unfortunately, the details have not been published.

http://www.skatinginbc.com/sites/default/files/BC%20Coast%20Fall%20Sk8Fest/results/sbwsegjudgesdetailpercompetitor.pdf Here are the results for Sr. Bronze for a recent competition held on the coast. Generally speaking, the coast is the strongest region in BC/YT so you are not likely to come up against much stronger in the Yukon - of course there are always exceptions.

ETA: I should have read your post more carefully. I didn't realize so many countries were taking part. The different structure makes total sense now. I wonder who will be sent by Canada? I haven't heard anything around here about it.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 07:35:14 PM »
Thanks! I have the tech package , I really was trying to figure out if your CPC was the same as  Cop as far as  how the program is put together.Is there the 10 percent bonus for after half, ect.I  saw everything was a level one for spins, I assume they will get plus on Goe?
Hope that makes sense !
DD has lulz loop as far as hardest jumps.
Thanks!!

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »
Arctic Winter Games looks interesting. I'm surprised it differs so much from the usual competition structure for the BC/Yukon Section - especially since I would assume there would a number of kids from the Yukon competing. Sk8tmum is right, Senior Bronze in BC/YT Section only has one program. Interestingly, effective July 1, 2011 kids who pass their Juv freeskate test are credited with their Jr. Silver StarSkate test.

As far as levels go, http://www.skatinginbc.com/sites/default/files/Williston%20Interclub/results/senior_bronze.pdf here are the marks from a northern BC Sr. Bronze competition. Unfortunately, the details have not been published.

http://www.skatinginbc.com/sites/default/files/BC%20Coast%20Fall%20Sk8Fest/results/sbwsegjudgesdetailpercompetitor.pdf Here are the results for Sr. Bronze for a recent competition held on the coast. Generally speaking, the coast is the strongest region in BC/YT so you are not likely to come up against much stronger in the Yukon - of course there are always exceptions.
Each country has a team of 8 skaters.I assume the reason they arent exactly like your rules is that it is a group effort. All the countries take turns hosting. In fact in 2014 we have it here  :) :)

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »

ETA: I should have read your post more carefully. I didn't realize so many countries were taking part. The different structure makes total sense now. I wonder who will be sent by Canada? I haven't heard anything around here about it.
Oh that helps! I can see how its judged!I dont know how they select your team,maybe you could find out about it.I know they all stay in dorms and there is alot of pin exchanging! They also doing a group number within the levels. All level 1 have a number, all levels 2, ect. Its done at closing.Edited to add
Figure Skating Dec. 9-11 Yellowknife Yellowknife Skating Club is tryouts for NWT.Alberta has a team, Yukon has  a team, and Quebec has ateam of 8 skaters.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 08:01:17 PM »
The best place for this information is the Section Website www.skatinginbc.com.

This link: http://www.skatinginbc.com/technical/starskate takes you to the technical section and there is a lot of information including a well balanced program chart.

What level is your dd skating?
What part  are you from?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 09:04:54 PM »
Thanks! I have the tech package , I really was trying to figure out if your CPC was the same as  Cop as far as  how the program is put together.Is there the 10 percent bonus for after half, ect.I  saw everything was a level one for spins, I assume they will get plus on Goe?
Hope that makes sense !
DD has lulz loop as far as hardest jumps.
Thanks!!

No bonus. No levels.  Plus GOE exists, so does -GOE. 

Do you mean single lutz/single loop?  Sr Bronze here is usually doubles plus axel ... 2LZ/2L would be - ummm - unusual :)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 09:07:27 PM »

And, slight OTT - Juvie test doesn't exist anymore after July 1, 2012.  It's Junior Bronze now to qualify up to Pre-Novice. Makes you wonder why they played with the levels if they were getting rid of the tests in a year ... but, that's another debate.

twokidsskatemom- all sections in Canada have exactly the same rules - so, BC/YT is the same as where I am in Ontario.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 10:21:23 PM »
no, I mean d/l d/loop. That is competive Juv in the US, even though you will find skaters with singles.They offer 4 levels, based on what test level you are in your country. Russia has its own, Canada has its own and we have ours.Juv n the US is competing with Senior bronze, and Russia 2nd class
edited
I just re read the levels. You had to test either senior bronze or juv. I didnt realize you has so many levels.Did your ages change for juv? US just went to under 14, used to be under 13.

Offline Tennisany1

• Rink Rat
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 11:18:13 PM »
And, slight OTT - Juvie test doesn't exist anymore after July 1, 2012.  It's Junior Bronze now to qualify up to Pre-Novice. Makes you wonder why they played with the levels if they were getting rid of the tests in a year ... but, that's another debate.

twokidsskatemom- all sections in Canada have exactly the same rules - so, BC/YT is the same as where I am in Ontario.

For Juv and above the rules are the same. I think for the pre juv and the lower StarSkate levels (performance, pre pre, prelim) there are some differences but I could be wrong.

Sk8tmum, I wondered about the changes to levels when they are now getting rid of the tests. It messes a bit with kids who tested Juv because if they wanted to go back to StarSkate they would need to skate Jr. Silver instead of Sr. Bronze. I guess that would still apply because I don't think they have changed the test requirements for StarSkate but I suspect that is coming soon. With the new rules, of course, they can just skate Juv for another year so it should work out. I do like the new age requirements. I know a lot of early born kids who have missed pre juv and juv by one year because they were not quite ready. Kids tend to start skating based on their school year - ie when they start preschool, so the July 1 deadline for northern hemisphere kids born in the first part of the year can be problematic.

I know kids at Sections next week competing in Juv and Pre Novice will be qualifying for spots at the BC Winter Games in Vernon. I think that if a team was going to Arctic Games from BC the qualification would have been done through Sections as well. I guess they are not sending any skaters.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 12:08:59 AM »
For Juv and above the rules are the same. I think for the pre juv and the lower StarSkate levels (performance, pre pre, prelim) there are some differences but I could be wrong.

Sk8tmum, I wondered about the changes to levels when they are now getting rid of the tests. It messes a bit with kids who tested Juv because if they wanted to go back to StarSkate they would need to skate Jr. Silver instead of Sr. Bronze. I guess that would still apply because I don't think they have changed the test requirements for StarSkate but I suspect that is coming soon. With the new rules, of course, they can just skate Juv for another year so it should work out. I do like the new age requirements. I know a lot of early born kids who have missed pre juv and juv by one year because they were not quite ready. Kids tend to start skating based on their school year - ie when they start preschool, so the July 1 deadline for northern hemisphere kids born in the first part of the year can be problematic.

I know kids at Sections next week competing in Juv and Pre Novice will be qualifying for spots at the BC Winter Games in Vernon. I think that if a team was going to Arctic Games from BC the qualification would have been done through Sections as well. I guess they are not sending any skaters.

yukons are  at Yukon Gold Nugget Chmp. & AWG Qualifying. I couldnt find anything from B/C.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 05:02:02 AM »
no, I mean d/l d/loop. That is competive Juv in the US, even though you will find skaters with singles.They offer 4 levels, based on what test level you are in your country. Russia has its own, Canada has its own and we have ours.Juv n the US is competing with Senior bronze, and Russia 2nd class
edited
I just re read the levels. You had to test either senior bronze or juv. I didnt realize you has so many levels.Did your ages change for juv? US just went to under 14, used to be under 13.

Yes, it used to be under 12? IIRC, now it's under 14; under 16 at July 1 for our PN, which is a odd level that you guys don't have, and then under 17 for our Nov, which is closest to your intermediate.  Interesting. I thought that we were moving closer to your system with these changes ... sounds like we are ...

It's not so much that we have so many levels (although the PN is an extra one) - it's that the announcement is covering both of our streams, StarSkate (test track) and Competitive (which is the Juve, Pre-Nov etc). 

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 05:06:25 AM »

There aren't differences in the WBP, as that's set by Skate Canada for pre-pre and Pre, but some sections break it up to levels within those.  Performance, which sounds like Introductory, i.e. the level below Pre-Pre, is supposed to be gone now, as it's a Canskate level, and that was eliminated with the LTAD restructure.  No programs until Pre-Pre ... so no need for the level, they just do Stage 7 elements.  Pre-Juve ... the WBP is set by Skate Canada. Pre-Juve used to be Section Defined (although there was WBP published for it) - Skate Canada has taken it over as a defined level now.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 05:14:23 AM »

Kids who passed the Juvie before the July 1 date still get the Sr Bronze equivalency, so you're just looking at the kids who passed it between July 1 of this year and on.  What is interesting is that there isn't really a new "age" requirement, there are two age brackets - one under 11, one under 14, for pre-juve and juve so, that will mean two groupings ... which will be a challenge in some Sections with small numbers - and pre-Juve and Juve have the same test requirements. Anyone who hangs on in Juve until 14 will have to move fast after that, as they have to be in Nov quite quickly before they age out.

The StarSkate tests have changed: the program components for the FS tests are different and measured in a quasi-CPC way (and quite a bit easier).  The elements tests are supposed to be changing; what I have heard about is taking out the stroking component.  They are also eliminating the Skills test track - and with the taking out of the stroking, I am reaching forward and thinking that, with this restructure we are more like the US competitive structure than we used to, thus, I wonder if they will make passing the (replacement to skills, whatever they call it) a pre-req for passing a test level the way that the US skaters have their MIF requirement ... it would certainly meet with their goal of improving basic skating skills.