You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Sharpening woes in Europe  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 115
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Sharpening woes in Europe
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2024, 10:56:16 AM »
In the U.S., 3M brand Scotch transparent tape[/quote], the best known brand, is about $1 or less, at almost any department store, or online. Is there really nothing similar in Germany? It's slippery enough not to scratch the blade significantly, despite my snug fit, and wider than the Pro-Filer gap depth.

I now feel that it is much better to apply the tape to the tool (stuck to the inside of the gap) than to the blade - as I suggested above. It's easier to align the tape with the bottom of the gap, because it touches the stone, than to the blade. I simply fold the excess across the top of the tool. After applying it to both sides, so the blade is snug enough to stick in the gap a bit, I make the tape stick better by inserting the blade, and then press it hard to each side.

This is much faster than carefully trying to align tape to the edge of the blade. The tape stays on for many sharpenings. It makes the tool itself look less pretty, but I don't care.

Being that snug means there is no side to side motion of the blade within the tool - so it makes a clean edge, not bent over at all anywhere (assuming you reverse the tool every few strokes), or needing any straightening (at least when using the coarse stone) with a flat stone or steel.

This way the entire sharpening operation only take a few minutes at most. I hadn't thought of this method when I started posting here about Pro-Filer, about 20 years ago, but I now think it best. I will never go back to sharpening at a pro shop, nor use a power tool.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2024, 12:12:15 PM »
FWIW, I always felt faster with more glide after a fresh sharpening. That could be translated into "less sticky", I suppose.
Bill Schneider

Offline AlbaNY

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 130
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2024, 04:17:19 PM »
Today I sharpened before skating (skipping the tape,) and it felt really good.  I suppose I went too long although it was less hours than I normally go.