You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Tracking progress survey  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Feebee

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 2
  • I would sleep in my skates if I could
Tracking progress survey
« on: July 19, 2017, 12:21:53 PM »
Trying to do some research to validate an app idea I have :) Sorry for overposting in various forums about this!

If anyone's got 3 minutes to fill out this super short questionnaire, it would be super helpful. Thanks!

https://goo.gl/forms/diepTTLalaiS771D2

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Tracking progress survey
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 01:25:59 PM »
Done - good luck.

Here are a few friendly suggestions:

This is an international adult figure skating forum, so your survey population won't be representative of all US figure skaters.  You might want to expand your scope. 

Keep the cost a one-time fee, instead of a subscription.  No one likes to get a monthly bill.

As a price point, don't go above $5 unless it's a truly awesome app. 

At some point, the skating community decided that $30 was a price point because it was the cost of an average lesson, per a PSA survey.  They didn't consider that the survey included some elite coaches and coaches in areas where the cost of living was incredible.  $20 is the highest I'd pay for an app outright, and it had a lot of good videos that I could pull up, rink-side.

Think about this: most practice lists start with the coaches - figure out a way for the coaches and skaters to work together on these lists.  I've been trying to find a way to just "tick off" the elements and send it to the parents because the less-serious skaters conveniently forget to write down what to practice.  They get to the freestyle and either interrupt someone else's lesson to ask or just fake it and practice poorly.

I've been meaning to put up a post about the online apps for fs coaches and skaters - I'll try to dig up the information from the last PSA conference and share it with everyone.  It might help you to see what the competition looks like.

Good luck!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Feebee

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 2
  • I would sleep in my skates if I could
Re: Tracking progress survey
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 01:41:08 PM »
Thanks! Right now it's a project I'm starting as part of a course I'm in for school, but eventually if I can, I'd love to find a way to develop it.

I don't think I would go with a subscription model, because I think there's a lot of subscription burnout happening - I know I personally pay for Netflix, and iTunes and I would hesitate before adding yet another recurring fee to my budget.

I agree it would have to be priced well - $5.00 or less, nowhere near 20 to 30 bucks.

I've considered the aspect of the adult population in terms of skewing the results, but I'd be weary of broadening my scope to all US figure skaters - I think depending on the level and age of the skater, the needs would be REALLY different than the mid-level, but very passionate adult. Kids are also less likely to have a phone of their own, and stick with it.

So I think target demographic at this stage would really be adult figure skaters - but I think if it's core features are very user friendly and encompass enough of what any skater, at any level would need to track/measure practices - it could work for a variety of skaters and coaches (I do love the idea of coach/skater collaboration, I think that angle needs research too)