You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: need advice riedell 133, risport rf4 or jackson Classique  (Read 7106 times)

Offline magna

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
need advice riedell 133, risport rf4 or jackson Classique
« on: October 16, 2012, 07:31:47 AM »
i want buy skate shoes with blade for my daughter,
she's level is alpha on ISI level

i think about riedell 133, risport rf4 and jackson Classique

whats the best for my daughter

thanks

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Re: need advice riedell 133, risport rf4 or jackson Classique
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:38:40 AM »
It depends on her foot shape. Will she be able to try all these skates on? If not, would you mind posting pictures of her foot, or at least a description of her foot (e.g., does she narrow feet, does she have narrow heels, etc)? Risport is mainly for those with narrow feet. My first skates were a pair of Riedell 133's -- I loved the fact that they were heat moldable. The Classique is not heat moldable, but it is popular among many of the students in my rink.

Offline magna

• Rink Rat
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:58:14 AM »
i cant try that's all model because that's difficult to find in my country, i want buy from online

I think her foot is narrow

this is the picture of her foot

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:29:33 AM »
Welcome to skatingforums!

You really do have to figure out her foot width.  It's important to know that when you can't try on skates before you order since different manufacturers size their skates differently.  The main difference is the width.  If your daughter has narrow feet, the Riedell or Risport skates will fit better, width-wise.  Jacksons' "regular" width skates fit a wide foot better.  (Looking at the photos, I'd suggest Jackson brand skates.  Her forefoot looks wide and tall to me, but it could just be the cute socks.)

You *could* ask other skating families to let your daughter try on their child's skates to see what fits well.   It's not a perfect solution (since skates change shape) but it's better than guessing.

Riedell 121's are more appropriate for her current skating level.  They'll be fine up through Gamma/Delta.
Reidell 133's might be a bit stiff at first, but they'll last up through Freestyle 1-3.

Jackson Mystiques are a bad investment for her level.  She needs a skate with more support and a better blade.
The Jackson Artiste is comparable to a Riedell 121, the Jackson Classique is similar to Riedell 133.

Risport Etoile is the equivalent of the Jackson Artiste and Riedell 121.  They'd be okay up through Gamma/Delta, but not beyond.
Risport RF4 is a little pricey, but comparable to Riedell 133 or Jackson Classique, imo.  Might be a little stiff.

A little advice:

. Ask around the rink to find out who sharpens skates well.  That person would probably know who does measuring and fittings.
. In areas where is no real "pro shop," sometimes skate coaches or sharpeners will place orders, etc.  Always good to ask around.
. Trace your daughter's foot onto paper and include her measurements.  Send the seller this information and ask their advice about sizing.
. Look at the seller's return policy.  Some will let you exchange at no charge if the skates don't fit and blades haven't been sharpened.

Good luck!
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline magna

• Rink Rat
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 12:05:41 PM »
Ok, thanks for your information, that's very helpfully, I will find her friend to try some brand, I think 1 of her friend uses riedell 110 , maybe that's boot size like 133 model

And  i will find someone who can check the shape

Regards

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 12:07:56 PM »
Ok, thanks for your information, that's very helpfully, I will find her friend to try some brand, I think 1 of her friend uses riedell 110 , maybe that's boot size like 133 model

And  i will find someone who can check the shape

Regards

No, the 110 is a different sizing than the 133 because of the padding and materials.  You'd need to find someone with a comparable skate model.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 12:37:20 PM »
I would go with the 133.  It has a nice rolled collar that will keep the edge of the skate from digging into the back of her leg.  It is a nice solid boot, it will be comfortable and it is made well.  My daughter was little in a similar model (it was when the old 'star" models were still out.  I looked at the cheapest and the next up riedell's.  There was a big difference in comfort between them. 

One thing I look at as well are the hooks.  The lower model has ones that will bend and can break if you tighten aggressively.  Also, on sizes 12.5 and up you get the flex notch.

My daughter had narrow feet until last year.  The balls were wide all of a sudden.  Turns out for kids that is how feet grow - width on the balls, then the foot lengthens and it is narrow again.  Her heels have always been narrow.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 07:13:45 PM »
Yes, sizing is important. Her feet are similar to mine in shape. If heat molding is available in your country, I would go with the Riedell 133. Otherwise, the Classique may be something to consider. You can email Riedell and Jackson to ask which size is appropriate for your daughter.

Offline magna

• Rink Rat
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 07:38:03 PM »
I can't find riedell 133 in here,some child use riedell 110

If I try with http://www.lowpriceskates.com/riedell-sizing-guide.aspx , my daughter size is 7" and width is 6 3/4"(17cm) i read from the chart that's medium width, that's guide is right ?

In that size the shoes size is 12 but that's I've is without shock maybe I must increase 2 size to size 1 ?

Thx

Regards

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 09:07:49 PM »
What is she skating in now?

She shouldn't be skating in socks.  Just tights.  You don't order bigger for fit, you order by measurements.  If you feel you MUST order bigger - never more than half a size.  It might slow progress to have ill fitting skates.

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 10:51:10 PM »
Generally for skates, you end up wearing skates that are smaller than your shoe size, skates the right way to fit them is, pull the laces out most of the way, and put your foot in, and your big toe should touch the end without bending, it should be a very tight fit without being painful. It should fit more like a glove would. I usually wear 9.5-10.5 shoes, but for figure skates I wear a 9 in most brands and in hockey skates I usually wear a 7. I know one guy who wears like 8 shoes and 5.5 skates. What happens with the wrong size skates if they're too big is, your feet are like / \ on the ice instead of like | | when you're standing up.

What you should do is measure your daughter's feet in millimeters, and either look on the manufacturer of the skate's website or ask the online store you're buying from what size skate they'd recommend based on the foot measurements. https://www.kinziescloset.com/How_to_Measure_the_Foot.html

As far as socks, it's best not to wear thick socks. I'm a guy so I usually wear dress socks if I wear socks in the skates, but thicker socks make you feel the ice less, so you don't wanna wear thick socks if you can help it. And obviously don't use socks to make bigger skates fit smaller feet, that's a no no.

I can't give recommendations on the specific boot you should buy, as I'm unfamiliar with the levels and not too familiar with the beginner level boots, but sizing is pretty much the most important part of buying a skate, so you gotta get it right.

Offline magna

• Rink Rat
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 02:10:19 AM »
@hopskipjump , now she use skate shoe from the rink thats use size 29

@supra, my child school shoes size is 30 and the skates shoes from the rink is 29
the lenght of her feet is 7" and circumference is 6 3/4"

thanks for all information

regards