You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

Do you bring your coach when shopping for boots and blades?

Yes
1 (5%)
No
18 (90%)
n/a
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Do you bring your coach when shopping for boots and blades?  (Read 2969 times)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Do you bring your coach when shopping for boots and blades?
« on: September 15, 2012, 06:13:10 PM »
And why?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Do you bring your coach when shopping for boots and blades?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 08:00:17 PM »
To decide what model to purchase, I think it's nice for new skaters or skating parents to involve a coach, as coach will better describe the skater's level, style of skating, likely progress etc. I assume most coaches would not mind serving an advisory role if the pro shop is reasonably close, appointment time  fits schedule, and the coach's time reasonably compensated for. But I rarely see coaches accompanying the skater's family for fitting at our pro shop, guess coaches usually trust our fitters do an excellent job.

If pro shop is at the rink and coach can see me skating right away, yes I'd ask coach to be present to help deciding if the blade alignment looks right. I think my rink is too far away from the pro shop for me to bring coach along.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:38:46 PM »
When I started skating at 11, my coach immediately suggested that I get a pair of used skates that a skater had just put up for sale. A year later when I started waltz jump she said the ones I had were too broken down and said exactly what model and blade to get. But because I'm in Florida, and it was 2001/2002, shops were harder to come by so mom and I had to drive south to get them.

When I got my current skates, I researched online what I wanted and talked to my coach who suggested going to a Jackson dealer so I could be totally sure and accurate.

I ended up meeting up with a coach at my old rink that helped me get fitted for boots and blades and had the rink manager double check sizing and everything. So technically I had a coach to help me and she's the one who suggested my current blades.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 07:24:03 PM »
We don't bring coach with us, but she is heavily consulted about the purchase. We show her boots we are considering(usually pictures) and we talk about blades. When we were considering putting Matrix blades on my daughter's new boots yesterday, we contacted the coach before we made the final decision. We were at the "pro shop"(closest we have any way!) picking up dd's skates.Since it is over an hour drive to go there, we would not bring our coach with us. So yes, she is involved in the purchase, but is not with us for the purchase.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 08:42:46 PM »
I would only ask her to do if she was going to pay for my skates.  Since that's not going to happen, I'm not taking her.  I might change blades, but I plan on sticking with the same style and brand.  Unless I eventually learn a triple axel.   ;D  (I'm 49 and have about half the single jumps) 
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 08:28:56 PM »
The store lets us take the skates with us on approval; they will phone the coach to ask for input; and we discuss it with her ahead of time. Plus, they know the coach's preferences in terms of boot strength, fit etc, so, it's sort of like having a virtual coach with us anyways.

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 11:14:53 AM »
Yes, I did.  Being a new adult skater I felt out of my element in making a decision about skates.  My coach is the one with the knowledge I lack to help me know what even to look for.  Certainly the way skates feel is something a coach couldn't do for me.  I would take him again with me in a heartbeat!

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 04:22:10 PM »
When it's time for new skates, I usually ask my coach what her opinion is as to what boot/blade I should get. I take her suggestion, and that's what I go and buy. But I leave the fitting, heatmolding if any, etc. to my wonderful skate pro.  ;D
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline Dreaswi

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 09:44:02 PM »
my coach is useless when it comes to skate choices for me (5'6" and 200lbs.). he knows this and directs me to a pro. i usually get fitted by rainbo sports.

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 11:04:25 AM »
When I started skating again as an adult, my coach suggested a pro shop that I'd never heard of.  I was out of the skating loop and the pro shop I used to go to as a kid moved far far away :) My coach really had no input on what type of boot/blade I should get, as she knew that was not her area of expertise; but some coaches have more knowledge than others on skate types.