You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Interesting Hand Sharpener  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Interesting Hand Sharpener
« on: October 30, 2011, 10:55:05 AM »
I found this on d ick's sporting goods website: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11085897

A&R Re-Edger Blade Tool

It's very strange-looking:

http://dsp.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pDSP1-9285250p275w.jpg

Manufacturer's site: http://www.there-edger.com/

INTRODUCING: THE RE-EDGER™
[patent pending]
This innovative hand-held multi-function tool utilizes the sharpening power of ceramic steel and a replaceable honing stone for de-burring, making The Re-Edger™ perfect for on-the-fly repairs.

The Re-Edger™ combines handheld sharpening technology and precision honing in one simple device. The ceramic steel fits player and goalie hockey blades as well as most figure skate blades. To repair the edges simply follow the instructions below.

The Re-Edger™ does not replace professional skate sharpening. It should be used between sharpenings and for emergency purposes.

To repair skate blade edges, place skate blade between the white prongs and slide The Re-Edger™ with light pressure in one direction only. Repeat if needed.

To remove nicks, place stone flat onto the side of the blade. Using light pressure, rub in one direction only. Repeat until abrasion is removed. Do not over rub.

I wouldn't use it, personally, but I like the design of the tool.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Interesting Hand Sharpener
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 11:09:51 AM »
I've seen this before. I think it's only for hockey skates.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 11:11:02 AM »
I got one of these a couple years ago at the rink pro shop.  Mine is only the prongs, no stone.  It works great in between sharpenings.  Like the directions say, 1 to 3 light passes do the trick.  I always swipe it front to back with a very light touch.  Works on figure and hockey blades.  Probably speed skates too.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 01:52:54 PM »
There are several professional level hand tools that do as good a job as the expensive powered machine tools. But it would be hard to do a good job without looking at the blade as you sharpen it. (The same applies to the powered machine tools, plus they don't fit in your skate bag.) So unless you are very flexible, you have to remove the boots from your feet, which takes time. Plus, with most hand tools or machine tools, it takes a time to learn to do a good job.

The tool you found is very widely sold in pro shops. I know hockey and figure skaters who love it for emergency repairs. Those tongs make the tool self-centering, so skaters can apply it themselves in a few seconds without removing the skates from their feet. It takes very little time to learn to use. It quickly removes nicks as well as edges that have been smashed flat.

The trade-off is that it makes the blade thinner at the bottom, and removes the sharpest part of the edge. So the blade skids on deep edges. A very important advantage of this tool to a pro shop is that the results do not compete with the shop's professional grade work, yet it works well enough to make the skater stop looking for alternatives.

Did any of you attend the seminar for elite track coaches at a recent Dallas PSA conference, in which a sharpener of my acquaintance showed coaches how to do emergency repairs using nothing more than a small round stone? He showed me his technique. With no centering guide, you have to be pretty careful, and it is very hard to get as sharp an edge as I personally like.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 07:54:04 AM »
I got one of these a couple years ago at the rink pro shop.  Mine is only the prongs, no stone.  It works great in between sharpenings.  Like the directions say, 1 to 3 light passes do the trick.  I always swipe it front to back with a very light touch.  Works on figure and hockey blades.  Probably speed skates too.
I've never seen one before.  I use a small stone like this to stone the edges between sharpenings:

http://img.inlinewarehouse.com/big/IBLST-big.jpg

I use it only in desperate times, though, like when a student has really dull rentals.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 08:15:20 AM »
Yes, I have one of those stones too, but I don't trust myself as much with that one. I also use a gummi stone to smooth out small nicks and to polish the edge just a bit after a sharpening (so I can stop w/o throwing myself into the boards :))