You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Can a skirt be added to a leotard?  (Read 4061 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Can a skirt be added to a leotard?
« on: October 04, 2011, 06:14:07 PM »
We are hitting a gap where the dress might not fit for a last comp.  rather than get a new skating dress for one event, can I buy a leotard at a dance store and add a skirt?  Any idea of how to do that?  By getting the cheaper leo and doing it myself I have a bunch of crystals I can add to it.

A leo like this one... http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/images/products/MT3596_4.jpg is only 24.  I'd need a yard at most of fabric I think (about ($10).

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Can a skirt be added to a leotard?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:22:52 PM »
How is the current dress tight?  Could you let out a seam or extend the crotch for growth?
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 06:27:02 PM »
Sure you can.  If you don't want to figure out your own pattern, use just the skirt from a commercial skating dress pattern.  Make the skirt, then have the skater put the leotard on and "hang" the skirt on them, pinning it into place.  I usually attach the skirt just by zigzagging over the top edge - this isn't the most polished finish, but you can't see it out on the ice.  It's easiest if you use fabric that doesn't ravel, like lycra or mesh.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:34:21 PM »
It's really tight.  I bought it second hand.  It's small all over.  She is a solid 10 and her dresses are 8's.  If I knew her music for next season I would order a dress now, but it's still a mystery!

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 07:40:31 PM »
Could she borrow a dress from someone? That might be a better option rather than try to squeeze in and skate in a dress that's too small. You should ask the other mom's if they have one that would work. We do it at my rink all the time.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 07:59:28 PM »
We've been able to pick up simple short-skirted dance dresses and stone them; the effect is quite impressive, and it is very cost effective, with skirts that are cut beautifully and with a nice flow. Stalking the sales racks at your local dance store can be very useful; the bodywrappers ones are very easy to work with.

If you do put a skirt onto a leotard, you can do a quick-and-dirty coverup of the "join line" where you've sewed on the skirt by using an iron-on trim.  We picked up a gold glitter iron-in trim, ironed it on, and in under 10 minutes had a very fancy and very practical and sturdy "waistband" that worked very well. 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 11:48:53 PM »
If you do put a skirt onto a leotard, you can do a quick-and-dirty coverup of the "join line" where you've sewed on the skirt by using an iron-on trim.  We picked up a gold glitter iron-in trim, ironed it on, and in under 10 minutes had a very fancy and very practical and sturdy "waistband" that worked very well. 

Wow, such an excellent idea!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 11:15:42 AM »
I ended up buying a dress online from Carrie Jones.  It needs to be altered - it's a little too big, but I think for the next comp, it will be fine.  Dd is right at the girth cut off for one size and the next and I went up.

It will be her next season dress.