You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New boot/blade questions for a returning skater  (Read 1381 times)

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
New boot/blade questions for a returning skater
« on: October 16, 2011, 01:32:53 PM »
I've been lurking these forums for a while, the members here seem to have a lot of information!  I'm hoping your expertise may help.

I've recently returned to figure skating (12 months back on the ice) after a long 12 year hiatus.  I found a coach this summer and am training again.  I LOVE being back on the ice, I feel more like myself than I have in years.

That said, my equipment is old and needs updating.  My boots will need replacing soon, and I plan to try on numerous styles and pairs before making a decision.  My boots are OLD and I have learned a lot looking at the new technology and styles available.  I'm skating in Super Teri Deluxes right now, and I'd like to switch to something with a "v notch" because it's awfully hard to bend my knees properly as an adult skater!  Can I get lightweight boots, or am I too heavy to do so (125-ish pounds)?  Do they make a difference?  Is SP-teri still considered a good brand?

My blades don't need replacing yet, but I'm wondering if it might be worth it to do so.  I'm currently skating on phantoms, which is the blade style I switched to in my early teens.  I'm 30 now, though, and my body, style, and abilities are different than what they used to be.  I have a difficult time finding the sweet spot on my spins, I feel the toe pick might be too big, and I find my stroking and turns choppier than I remember, even after hours of practice.  I don't think sharpening is an issue, and I've tried a couple different levels of "sharpness".

I'm considering switching to gold seal blades (every upper level skater and coach at my rink wears them!), or something else if I see enough recommendations.  I understand the gold seals might be better for spinning than other blades?  If it helps, I have consistent double toe loops and salchows, and would like to progress to getting my other doubles back.  The #1 item on my bucket list is landing a double axel, and I don't have much time left to do it!   :sweat

I was never one to follow the ins and outs of skating, my mother is the skating fan and knows about the judging systems and the minutia.  I just love to skate!  I appreciate any advice I can get, thank you!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: New boot/blade questions for a returning skater
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 08:36:43 PM »
Welcome to skatingforums!

Your current blades are probably flattened from normal sharpening, which is why you're having trouble finding the rocker and the toepick seems too big.  Why not get new Phantoms, or at least compare your current ones to a new pair, to see the differences? 

Another, newer, option are the Riedell Eclipse blades, which are very affordable and well-made.
http://skatingforums.com/index.php/topic,1165.0.html

Sp-Teri is still a good brand.  Their Zero Gravity boot has flex notches and is lightweight:
http://www.spteri.com/prod_zerogravity.htm
The only drawback, imo, is the blue suede lining.  It makes the skate look like it's for beginners.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
Re: New boot/blade questions for a returning skater
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 11:53:10 PM »
Welcome to skatingforums!

Your current blades are probably flattened from normal sharpening, which is why you're having trouble finding the rocker and the toepick seems too big.  Why not get new Phantoms, or at least compare your current ones to a new pair, to see the differences? 

Another, newer, option are the Riedell Eclipse blades, which are very affordable and well-made.
http://skatingforums.com/index.php/topic,1165.0.html

Sp-Teri is still a good brand.  Their Zero Gravity boot has flex notches and is lightweight:
http://www.spteri.com/prod_zerogravity.htm
The only drawback, imo, is the blue suede lining.  It makes the skate look like it's for beginners.

Thank you very much for the response!  Your point about flattening of the blade is something I did not consider, thank you very much for bring up the possibility!  I don't think I would have thought about that.

I have not heard of the Eclipse blades before, I will have to check them out.

As for the zero gravity boot, I have looked at that one, but I was worried about being too heavy/breaking them in too quickly.  I would like them to last!  I also agree with you on the blue lining.  :)

Thanks again!