You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Buying new boots and blades, advice needed  (Read 4545 times)

Offline ashlbee

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Buying new boots and blades, advice needed
« on: October 13, 2011, 12:04:24 PM »
Hello, so I'm (at 20) getting back into ice skating, I haven't skated since I competed at the ISI national championships as a child (about 8 years old and I was doing the prep work for axels).  After free skating at out local rink twice I've been told I'm skating at a Delta/Freestyle 1 level so it's coming back.  I've decided to get my own skates and have some questions based on the (many hours) of research I've done. [If I applied myslef like this to my college courses I could have been an engineer  :laugh: )

Boots: I'm very open to suggestions about, ultimately I'm going to see how different brands and styles feel at the shop (I'm going to get them heat molded and maybe the ankles punched out)  I've been advised by the Pro Shop to get the Jackson Freestyle.  I want a boot that will be level appropriate and not have a killer break in period, but also one that I can grow into (skill wise, not foot wise, haha) and last through my singles, maybe even doubles if I get that into it again.  Right now I'm only skating 1 a week for about 2 hours in free skate.  I'd like to change that to twice a week with at ocne being taught by a coach. (I'd skate more but the closest rink is a 40 min drive and with school it is difficult)  Any boot suggestions?  Both brand and style?  I've heard great things about Harlick, Klingbeil, Riedell and SP Terri.

Blades.  I'm pretty much set on the Ultima Matrix rout unless I hear terrible things about them otherwise.  My main decision is between the Legacy (that I've heard is a lot like the Coronation Ace) and the Supreme (that I've heard is a lot like the Gold Seal)  I've been advised to go for the Legacy as it's a great stepping stone to the Supreme, but part of me wants to just buy and practice, from the start, on the best (and I've read the overwhelming majority agree Gold Seal is)  But, I don't want to out-blade myself and constantly be tripping on the toe pick.  So, opinions?  Is the Supreme too much blade for me or would I do ok with it?

Thank you s much!  Any advice is appreciated!

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
Re: Buying new boots and blades, advice needed
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 12:11:19 PM »
I skate at ISI FS1. I just got new skates in August. I have the Ultimate Matrix Legacy and I love it! I think a few of the other adults here have the Matrix Legacy also and are happy with it. My boot is the Riedell 435ts. For me it's working really well, but I had to have a lot of customization to get a proper fit. From what the fitter told me, it should get me through all my singles.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 12:22:30 PM »
Definitely DON'T over blade yourself at this point :)  I wouldn't get anything higher than the legacy (or coro ace/professional level) until you have all of your singles and are working on axel/doubles.  Buying too much blade before you get to that point can cause all kinds of problems because of the difference in size/shape of the drag pick.  There is zero benefit at all in buying a higher level blade before you are ready for it.

If you go with Jacksons, I actually think you'd be fine with the stock blade that comes on the freestyles (or competitors) rather than buying a boot/blade separately.  Boots don't last forever, and by the time you are "ready" for something higher level, you'll probably be close to needing new skates anyways, no matter what you get now.  If you buy separate blades then you will be spending money that I don't think you'd see the benefit from yet - and you can always upgrade from the stock blades later if you feel you want to, it's never a "now or never" situation.

Personally I love Jacksons and I think they offer more value for the price than a lot of other brands do - but only if they happen to fit your feet well.  If you have very narrow feet Jacksons probably aren't going to work and I would suggest looking into Riedell.  Harlick and SP Teri can fit a wide variety of feet (narrow, wide, combo widths, etc), but they also cost more than a Jackson or Riedell at the same boot level.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 12:39:24 PM »
I would second the recommendation to go with the Freestyles with the stock Ultima Mirage blades - they're a more affordable set, compared to buying boots and blades separately.  Get them heat-molded and you'll have a much easier break-in time. 

Definitely get measured and fitted by a pro.  Make sure they check the width.  If they don't have it in stock, let them order the skates.  If they don't feel right when you try it on, you can always refuse them. 

Start out on the Mirage blades, which is good low-level freestyle blade.  You can always buy higher-level blades to replace them once you get back to the axel-prep level, but a lower-level blade will mean less adjustment time.  You were probably on those type of blades (or even rec blades) at 8, so the Mirage will feel more natural to you.

I've changed blades a few times - getting used to new rocker profiles and toepicks cuts into progress.  Since you're just coming back to skating, you want to get up to speed as soon as possible.

PS - Welcome to skatingforums!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 04:06:20 PM »
Ultima Matrix blades have a 30 day guarantee.  I am thinking of taking advantage of it myself :-)  Currently I have Ultima Matrix Legacy (I switched from a Coronation Ace,which is the blade that Legacy is modeled after,  so the adjustment was minor). I love the feel of that steel on the ice in comparison with the carbon steel Coronation ace! 
My coach (who skates  on Gold Stars) thinks that the profile of the Legacy makes it very easy to toe scratch- she mentioned that she notices it a lot with her students who switched to Legacy.     Another skater at my rink (older adult, former national competitor) says that it was difficult for her to skate in MK Professionals (which are very similar to CoroAces and Legacy), she did a face plant on a spiral,  because the ride to the toe pick was so short. So she switched to Gold Star (which is similar to Gold Seal and similar to Ultima Matrix Supreme) and loves it.

So, long story short, my coach suggested that I look at a a Gold Star or Gold Seal,   and I am considering trying Ultima Matrix Supreme (which is a Gold Seal analog), since the steel is so nice :-)  If they don't work for me in 30 days,  then I 'll stay with Legacy.

All that being said, blades are a highly personal matter, unless you have tried different ones, there is no way to know (and even then it varies from one person to the next!).  Lots of kids at my rink happily skate on Legacy, so I don't think you will be disappointed.  On the other hand, you want to minimize adjustments to blades, so if you are able to try out a higher level blade- I would say go for it.  It is expensive, but if your feet stopped growing, makes sense. 

Boots are a whole other matter.  I think no matter how much research you do, until you have skated in them for a couple of months, you really don't know how they will work out for you.  I have Riedell 875, which were a comfortable boot to break in ( I am an adult with all my single jumps, working on axel).   I did have some issues with the landing foot, but a thinner tongue solved it.  After having skated in them for a couple of months, I noticed that they stretched out a bit and now don't feel as great (too long and wobbly heel).   So, I decided to bite the bullet and go with custom Harlicks (my feet are different sizes, so stock boots end up being too big for one foot). I just placed the order, so I don't know how they will turn out. 

Riedell has exceptional customer service, you can't really go wrong with them (if your foot matches their last).  From my understanding, Riedells are better for people with a less pronounced difference between the ball and the heel.  I would also recommend looking at Riedell 435 for you, which are like 875 but not as stiff. 
I see a lot of Jacksons as well at the rink on people ranging from beginner all the way to advanced  level.  I tried on a Jackson Premiere- felt very stiff and not as cushiony as Riedell.
Good luck with your decisions!!!  I know it is overwhelming with all the choices out there. 

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »
The Ultima Matrix Legacy is an AMAZING blade.  There is no reason to pay more at FS1 level, all you are doing is buying a name.

I don't find the Legacy to be any scratchier than any other blade I have used, and the hard edge has such a LOVELY rip, even on things like swizzles!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 10:10:44 PM »
Boots are a whole other matter.  I think no matter how much research you do, until you have skated in them for a couple of months, you really don't know how they will work out for you.  I have Riedell 875, which were a comfortable boot to break in ( I am an adult with all my single jumps, working on axel).   I did have some issues with the landing foot, but a thinner tongue solved it.  After having skated in them for a couple of months, I noticed that they stretched out a bit and now don't feel as great (too long and wobbly heel).   So, I decided to bite the bullet and go with custom Harlicks (my feet are different sizes, so stock boots end up being too big for one foot). I just placed the order, so I don't know how they will turn out. 

Riedell has exceptional customer service, you can't really go wrong with them (if your foot matches their last).  From my understanding, Riedells are better for people with a less pronounced difference between the ball and the heel.  I would also recommend looking at Riedell 435 for you, which are like 875 but not as stiff. 
I see a lot of Jacksons as well at the rink on people ranging from beginner all the way to advanced  level.  I tried on a Jackson Premiere- felt very stiff and not as cushiony as Riedell.

A couple of Riedell things ... Riedell are easy to get in split widths for people with a difference between ball and heel; we get an A/AAA with no problem or extra cost.  Also, they should fit really tight at first - if they are comfortable when purchased, they will end up too loose in a few weeks.  The interior of the boots is designed to "mold" around the foot, and, thus, they are fitted super snug to accomodate the molding process.  Had a few other skaters who ended up with too loose boots; one of the fitters (in a place that we do not go) fitted them so they were comfy; the "good place" who does huge quantities of Riedell, fits them properly, and there are no issues. 

Offline ashlbee

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 10:20:29 PM »
Thanks for all the advice so far, it is helping  :)  I guess what I'm still struggling between is the Coronation Ace/Gold Seal thing.  While money is certainly an issue, it is not the KEY issue as I want to buy what's best for me, and at my level, bu also that I can grow into.  Part of my question is, is the Gold Seal simply too advanced a blade for me?  IE, is it more advanced than the Coronation Ace, or is it just different (not necessarily more advanced, but a better model of blade)?  If it is too much blade/too advanced then I would lean towards the Legacy/Coronation.  But is the blade is just different and a better quality, but not really 'harder' then I would go for the Gold Seal/Supreme.  If that makes any sense?  Suggestions?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 11:16:30 AM »
The Gold Seal blade (and its clones) is designed for skaters doing doubles and triples, plus flying spins.  In addition to having a very big rocker radius (8'), the GS has a prominent blade rocker, huge toepicks, taller stanchions and is side-honed to try and lessen the weight of the solid sole plate.  To a low-level skater, it means lots of face plants from toe trips, face-first rockovers, spin struggles and awkward toe jumps. 

You are a Freeskate-level skater who won't be working on doubles for a long time.  You do not need to overblade yourself with a Gold Seal blade.  Not only will you be throwing away money for years (because it's hard to step down in blades - I can tell you that firsthand,) you will struggle to master these blades and it will delay your progress.  That means you'll be throwing away money on lessons and practices by not progressing quickly. 

Please note that blades do wear out or get damaged.  Skaters don't "grow into" blades because using them wears them out.  If you start with a Gold Seal as a entry-level freestyle skater, by the time you've mastered the blade and learned the skills needed to get to doubles/triples, you will still need to buy a new blade because the old one will have worn down.  Better to start with an appropriate blade for your level (saving money up front) ... master skills quickly (save money on lessons/ice time) ... THEN buy the higher level blade when it's needed.  By buying the Gold Seals, you're slowing down your learning and throwing money on the ice.  You'll have to buy another one by the time you finally reach doubles/triples.

Sorry to be so bunt, but you're really not listening to the valid advice you've already been offered.  Not a single person on this thread has recommended anything higher than a Coronation Ace.  In fact, some very knowledgeable people have said you don't even need the Coronation Ace blade, that you should use the stock blade that comes with the Jackson Freestyle skate.

Just to make sure you understand: the Gold Seal is too "big" a blade for your skating level.  Don't buy it now.
Get the stock blade with the Freestyle and enjoy skating.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 11:21:21 AM »
Thanks for all the advice so far, it is helping  :)  I guess what I'm still struggling between is the Coronation Ace/Gold Seal thing.  While money is certainly an issue, it is not the KEY issue as I want to buy what's best for me, and at my level, bu also that I can grow into.  Part of my question is, is the Gold Seal simply too advanced a blade for me?  IE, is it more advanced than the Coronation Ace, or is it just different (not necessarily more advanced, but a better model of blade)?  If it is too much blade/too advanced then I would lean towards the Legacy/Coronation.  But is the blade is just different and a better quality, but not really 'harder' then I would go for the Gold Seal/Supreme.  If that makes any sense?  Suggestions?

I'm not sure if a Gold Seal would hinder you progress, I'm in Gold Seals and I can't say enough good things about them. Here's the thing about GS they are made for people doing high level doubles (Lutz and double double combos) all the way to quads. I'm doing single axels and I don't know a reputable fitter who would recommend them to me. I've never had a problem with them even though I'm not advanced enough to warrant them. I LOVE them they are amazing. I could go on and on about how much I love them. But honestly the only reason I have them is because a competitive skating friend of mine saves all her old blades and gave me a pair that's got some life left. I was in Mirages that came with my boots and needed a new blade desperately. I would never buy new Gold Seals for myself, its just not necessary.

You will probably never need anything more than a Coronation Ace. I'm not trying to knock you or the skills you might get, but seriously having a Gold Seal blade, while a fantastic blade, will not make you a better skater. It will take you a very long time to "grow into" needing a Gold Seal. When I was still trying to get used blades at the pro shop I was waiting for them to get a used Legacy, Protege, Coronation Ace, Comet, or Professional and was told, by a fitter and sharpener I trust, who is the only person who has ever touched my blades that those  blades could be the only models I will ever need. I've been skating for 7 years. Buy the Aces and save the extra $300 for lessons. If you are interested in the Freestyles I would just use the Mirage blade. They are pretty nice blades for what they are. I had all my singles, spins, and was working on a axel in them.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 01:29:16 PM »
I will join the chorus telling you to save the expense and don't overblade yourself, and wanted to add that I got through my Gold dances and double flip on Coronation Comets. You can go a long way before you need Gold Seals and their equivalents.

Offline ashlbee

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 02:00:04 PM »
Ok, thanks guys that really clears it up for me!  :D  The Gold Seals are pretty much out of the picture and I'll focus on the Legacy/Coronation Ace.  I really appreciate all the advice given!  I just want to make super sure, with such an expensive purchase, I'm getting the best for what I need.  I'm going to go for a easy to break in boot, perhaps the Jackson Freestyle or one of it's equivalents, get it heat molded, possibly punched, and probably the Ultima Matrix Legacy Blade, though I will certainly look at it's equivalents and if the boots have stock blade options.

Thanks again for all the advice and patience!

So you know where I was coming from with the blade thing; I was in horse back riding for years and we had horses that were at the same level, but some were just smoother, and then there would be that horse that was way out of our league.  I wanted to make sure the Gold Seals were the 'way out of my league' horse, rather than just the smoother version of a same level horse, so to speak.  And now it is abundantly clear the Gold Seal is pretty much the out of the league horse (yay analogies)

Thank you again!  If anyone else has any tid-bits they want to share I'd love to hear them (for or against any boot/blade in particular).  I feel much more confident now in what boot/blade combos I should be focusing on!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 03:22:10 PM »
What did you wear before you stopped skating?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 04:09:38 PM »
What did you wear before you stopped skating?

Yes, I'm curious too :)  Also, if you remember how those skates felt/worked for you, that can also help us steer you in the right direction for boots.

Offline ashlbee

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 11:05:05 PM »
I really don't remember the model of boots/blades I had, I was only 8 and pretty much my mom and coach handled that stuff, I just did what I was directed to do haha.  (Ah the simplicity of youth)  I think they were Reidells.  My plan is pretty much to try on a bunch of models at my level that will be easy to break in and see which feel best on my feet brand-wise.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 04:14:53 PM »
I suggest that you ask figure skaters around your rink(s) to find out which boot/blade technician to use, and ask what equipment they think you should have and they are familiar with. Either let them do the fit and mounting, or go to the master boot maker to get it down. Even if other options seem cheaper and more convenient, it's a false economy, for several reasons. Many skaters routinely drive a few hundred miles to deal with someone really good.

Unless that person is one of the best in the world, I would stay away from all blades with descriptions like "side honed", "parabolic" or "tapered". Almost everyone mess them up.

Beyond that, I'm not a good enough skater to advise you.